westoelad

Joined: 8th March 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

westoelad
Hello everyone, hope you are all well.

I am about to upgrade from my K-X with kit lens 18-55 to a K5 (body only at this point) and I would like to purchase a better lens than the 18-55 offerings.

I have read numerous reviews for the 12-24, or the 16-45 and even the 17-70 all of which would be in the range I would be interested in. I have been a little disappointed in the landscape and architecture shots delivered from the kit 18-55 so I am willing to invest in the better lens if only I knew which one.
Also, are there any third party lens manufacturers who can build an acceptable bolt on for the K5. any advise gratefully received, thanks.

Comment by westoelad posted on Which lens for a new K5 at 25/05/2011 - 21:35

westoelad
Thanks - that's a good site

Comment by westoelad posted on Memmory rip off? at 12/03/2011 - 21:49

westoelad
NINETEEN POUNDS - now thats sounds attractive - where from?

Comment by westoelad posted on Memmory rip off? at 12/03/2011 - 21:27

westoelad
When I bought my K-x the salesman in Jacobs advised me that I would need a fast memory card and sold me 15mb/s Sandisk Ultra SDHC 8gig for just under £30.
My daughter bought a Sandisk SDHC 8gig at Asda today for £13 which set me wondering.
I set the camera to "sport" mode and fired off ten consecutive shots with the expensive memory loaded in the camera, it took 8 seconds before I could start to view the pictures in camera.
Again with same settings I inserted the cheaper card and fired off ten shots and again, it took exactly the same time - 8 seconds before I could view the pictures.
Presumably there must be some difference in the cards and I am wondering if the faster card is perhaps limited to the cache within the K-x itself.
Or, as I suspect, It is just a rip off for a camera at this level as the cheaper 5mb/s cards appear to be quite adequate.

Comment by westoelad posted on Memmory rip off? at 12/03/2011 - 19:42

westoelad
That logging on idea is superb, I wonder if anyone from Pentax trawls forums like this to pick up great suggestions from its users.
You could set the camera for different modes and name them as "users" or the like and when you were out on the shoot you could just log in as "whatever" and snap away.
They would probabaly put the case that they have already done that in the modes pre-programmed into the camera but I still like this concept.

Comment by westoelad posted on Green button at 10/03/2011 - 19:29

westoelad
Thanks Gary, thats exactly what I was after.
I have changed to match your settings - very easy when you know how, thanks again I was begining to loose a little confidence in my purchase - Shaun.

Comment by westoelad posted on Green button at 09/03/2011 - 19:43

westoelad
I have just traded in my Olympus e520 for the K-x with the dual lense kit at a very good price and am about to embark on a rejuvenated bout of snapping.
One thing I have noticed very quickly - due to a number of spoilt shots either over or under exposed is that the K-x retains your last settings after switching off and back on for use. I can not remember this happening on my oli so what I would like to know is....can the green button be programmed to re-set any changes made to the settings of the camera and put it back to default? in one easy push!
I have tried to read the instruction manual that came with the camera but due to it being a tad small and thick - I am struggling and I am trying to remember to check all settings when I switch it on.
Any help or tips much appreciated, thanks Shaun.

Comment by westoelad posted on Green button at 09/03/2011 - 19:33

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo