Memmory rip off?
Posted 12/03/2011 - 20:19
Link
There are a lot of variables with memory cards.
A Sands Ultra isn't that fast a card anymore. Reading back after shooting in continuous is often slow as the buffer has to empty first.
The other things you also pay for are reliability and warranty. I have had lots of 'cheap' miniSD and microSD cards fail but never a Sandisk Extreme card. Ultra cards are held in high regard as well.
A Sands Ultra isn't that fast a card anymore. Reading back after shooting in continuous is often slow as the buffer has to empty first.
The other things you also pay for are reliability and warranty. I have had lots of 'cheap' miniSD and microSD cards fail but never a Sandisk Extreme card. Ultra cards are held in high regard as well.
Posted 12/03/2011 - 21:25
Link
I use Integral Ultima Pro 16Gb Class 10 cards and never had any problems with them. £19 each ( apart from PLay.com which absurdly charges £68 for them!!! )
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 12/03/2011 - 21:27
Link
Best advice is from pictstop - good prices too
Posted 12/03/2011 - 21:27
Link
NINETEEN POUNDS - now thats sounds attractive - where from?
Capture the moment......live for the day
Posted 12/03/2011 - 21:38
Link
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Integral/Integral-16GB-Ultima-Pro-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29---Class-10
I ordered two from that place through Ebay. £19.04 each they cost me a few weeks ago.
I ordered two from that place through Ebay. £19.04 each they cost me a few weeks ago.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 12/03/2011 - 21:58
Link
Posted 12/03/2011 - 23:34
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I use Integral Ultima Pro 16Gb Class 10 cards and never had any problems with them. £19 each ( apart from PLay.com which absurdly charges £68 for them!!! )
I'll second the recommendation. For the last 3 years or so I've used only Integral Ultima Pro cards for everything I use memory cards for including DSLR, compact camera, mp3 player, PDA (though I don't use one any more). They are fantastic value for money compared to other (reliable) brands and I have never had a single problem with one, though I have had problems with other brands in the past, even the much praised SanDisk.I use Integral Ultima Pro 16Gb Class 10 cards and never had any problems with them. £19 each ( apart from PLay.com which absurdly charges £68 for them!!! )
BTW MyMemory also sell them through Amazon which is where I get them from because of the convenience of using my Amazon account. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-16GB-UltimaPro-SDHC-Class/dp/B003ZDNLIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1299973009&sr=8-1
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Posted 13/03/2011 - 10:22
Link
Get the fastest you can afford. The quickest Sandisk seem to be:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=111093
or if you want something a bit cheaper:
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Integral/Integral-Endurance-8GB-SDHC-Memory-Card-...
I did some casual "testing" of some SD cards I have, results here:
link
Vic.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=111093
or if you want something a bit cheaper:
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Integral/Integral-Endurance-8GB-SDHC-Memory-Card-...
I did some casual "testing" of some SD cards I have, results here:
link
Vic.
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


7 posts
15 years
Newcastle
My daughter bought a Sandisk SDHC 8gig at Asda today for £13 which set me wondering.
I set the camera to "sport" mode and fired off ten consecutive shots with the expensive memory loaded in the camera, it took 8 seconds before I could start to view the pictures in camera.
Again with same settings I inserted the cheaper card and fired off ten shots and again, it took exactly the same time - 8 seconds before I could view the pictures.
Presumably there must be some difference in the cards and I am wondering if the faster card is perhaps limited to the cache within the K-x itself.
Or, as I suspect, It is just a rip off for a camera at this level as the cheaper 5mb/s cards appear to be quite adequate.