hoopsontoast

Joined: 10th June 2013

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

hoopsontoast
Well went to a wedding at the weekend:

Comment Image

Wedding by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

The K-7/FA43 is a lovely combo for close portraits/group shots.

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on New to Pentax - K-7 & FA43 at 01/07/2013 - 21:30

hoopsontoast
Thanks chaps, on further research I think I may just go the sensible route and plum for a D-FA 100mm Macro. It seems a sensible choice and keeps the 49mm filters along with the FA43 and DA15 (I plan to buy at some point) and has great build.

I think this may be the best route. (And wasting your time )

EDIT: Just seen that the DA15 does close focus at around 18cm which is about the same as the Sigma 24mm. It looks spot on for both!

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on Wide Macro Lenses at 26/06/2013 - 10:23

hoopsontoast
Is it just the Sigma 24mm and 28mm Macro models then?

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on Wide Macro Lenses at 26/06/2013 - 07:39

hoopsontoast
Cheers, thanks for that

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on New to Pentax - K-7 & FA43 at 26/06/2013 - 07:37

hoopsontoast
Does anyone have experience of Wide-Angle Macro lenses such as the Sigma 24mm f1.8 Macro?

I want some sort of Macro lens to use for work (Product photography with close ups) but as its my own lens, I don't want to really get a standard telephoto Macro as I don't really do any photography that would use it, as I don't do any wildlife photography.

There is of course the DA35 Macro Limited and FA 50mm Macro but they are both so close to the FA43 I already have I am not sure I would use both.

The Sigma 24mm Macro would give me ~35mm FOV which would be useful as a general wide lens compared to the FA43's ~65mm FOV.

Also, 'if' Pentax ever make a FF camera, and 'if' I ever moved up to it I would already have two FF lenses.

Are there any other similar Wide lenses with Macro capability?

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on Wide Macro Lenses at 25/06/2013 - 11:12

hoopsontoast
felix wrote:
There is a thread in Pentaxforums by Adam on the settings if you have a K7. I had a K7 and used the settings and I could take photos up to ISO 3200 without that much noise.

I then upgraded to a K5 and now use a K30.
Do you have a link?

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on New to Pentax - K-7 & FA43 at 25/06/2013 - 10:29

hoopsontoast
Yes I am using LR 4

As mentioned, the Sigma is a great studio style camera where as the K-7/FA43 is a more creative tool

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on New to Pentax - K-7 & FA43 at 24/06/2013 - 08:09

hoopsontoast
Some recent shots using both the K7 and the Sigma at a recent hifi meet.
IMO the Sigma is still streets ahead on pixel sharpness and ISO100 output but the Sigma really could only be used on a tripod where all the K-7 shots were handheld.
White Balance (Auto) on the K-7 is MUCH better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoopsontoast/sets/72157634269369862/

This shot for example, when nailed the exposure and focus is spot on! (with a tripod mind) And ignore the two dust spots on the top left, gave the lens a good clean after this shot! There was some dust in between the rear element and inside, it just unscrewed so was not too much trouble, only tightened up finger tight.

Comment Image

System by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

I now have a copy of LR which I am using for the RAW conversion. Most of that set for the K-7 files had minimal editing I think.

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on New to Pentax - K-7 & FA43 at 24/06/2013 - 07:33

hoopsontoast
I picked Pentax due to the K-7/K-5 Body/Grip and the range of compact DA/FA Limited Primes.

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on why oh why pick pentax ? at 18/06/2013 - 11:48

hoopsontoast
The problem with the DP1X is that its so sharp at pixel level if the focus or camera shake is not 100% its a little disappointing.
So far, as a creative tool, the K7/FA43 is a better camera for me.
The Sigma takes lovely studio style shots, it can be used to good effect in normal walk around situations but I don't think it shines in that area.

Comment by hoopsontoast posted on First Outing with the FA43 at 18/06/2013 - 10:48

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo