Wide Macro Lenses
Posted 25/06/2013 - 11:43
Link
Maybe it's just Sigma's naming - but since when has 24mm been super wide on APSC? Or even on full frame?
Actually I wondered why anyone would want to use a wide angle macro when standard/tele macros seem so much more useful. Then I looked around a bit and found some examples and it is indeed a very different portrayal you get.
From the examples I saw I was left feeling you realy want either a standard/tele macro for decent working distance or alternatively a really wide one to get background context as well. I have an old Pentax 17mm/2.8 kicking around that I could put some extension tubes on and see what it does but don't have any really wide stuff myself.
Actually I wondered why anyone would want to use a wide angle macro when standard/tele macros seem so much more useful. Then I looked around a bit and found some examples and it is indeed a very different portrayal you get.
From the examples I saw I was left feeling you realy want either a standard/tele macro for decent working distance or alternatively a really wide one to get background context as well. I have an old Pentax 17mm/2.8 kicking around that I could put some extension tubes on and see what it does but don't have any really wide stuff myself.
Posted 25/06/2013 - 11:51
Link
gwing wrote:
Maybe it's just Sigma's naming - but since when has 24mm been super wide on APSC? Or even on full frame?
Anything wider than 28mm on full frame, which the lens was originally designed for, was Ultawide by definition but superwide is an odd name I must admit.Maybe it's just Sigma's naming - but since when has 24mm been super wide on APSC? Or even on full frame?
John
Posted 25/06/2013 - 12:16
Link
johnwhit wrote:
John
Not be any definition I know. Ultrawide==*wider* than 24mm seems the most accepted usage. Even Wiki has that.
gwing wrote:
Maybe it's just Sigma's naming - but since when has 24mm been super wide on APSC? Or even on full frame?
Anything wider than 28mm on full frame, which the lens was originally designed for, was Ultawide by definition but superwide is an odd name I must admit.Maybe it's just Sigma's naming - but since when has 24mm been super wide on APSC? Or even on full frame?
John
Posted 25/06/2013 - 14:17
Link
johnwhit wrote:
Things must have changed then, 35yrs ago 24mm was Ultrawide. There's a lot of duff info on Wiki BTW
John
Nah. Even back then Ultrawide was the 8/15/17mm lenses. I'll accept 20 as well if you like.
Things must have changed then, 35yrs ago 24mm was Ultrawide. There's a lot of duff info on Wiki BTW
John
Posted 25/06/2013 - 14:41
Link
It depends how far back you go. In the early 1960s 35mm-50mm-135mm was the normal set for amateurs. If you could afford three lenses like that, you were lucky. I never could for sure.
The wides stretched to 28mm eventually, and that was considered "difficult" for amateurs at first. 24mm at that stage was definitely ultra-wide.
However, soon 28mm seemed a bit passé and 24mm was the objective of choice. Then 20mm was the holy grail of ultra-wides.....do you see a pattern emerging? 18mm lenses were discussed by writers in magazines in suitably hushed tones.
At the telephoto end, 135mm gave way to 100mm lenses. And then came zooms.
The wides stretched to 28mm eventually, and that was considered "difficult" for amateurs at first. 24mm at that stage was definitely ultra-wide.
However, soon 28mm seemed a bit passé and 24mm was the objective of choice. Then 20mm was the holy grail of ultra-wides.....do you see a pattern emerging? 18mm lenses were discussed by writers in magazines in suitably hushed tones.
At the telephoto end, 135mm gave way to 100mm lenses. And then came zooms.
Best regards, John
Posted 26/06/2013 - 07:39
Link
Is it just the Sigma 24mm and 28mm Macro models then?
D-FA28-105 | FA43 | K55 | DA100 Macro | DA*300
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream
Posted 26/06/2013 - 08:53
Link

I have the Sigma 24mm f1.8 macro. I didn't buy it primarily for macro but it works well as a fast wide lens, if you do not mind the size and weight. The couple of times that I have used it for macro I have been happy with it, but I am no macro specialist.
Here is one I took with it a few weeks ago of some baby beetles?? hatching on an orchid
Regards, Philip
Posted 26/06/2013 - 09:04
Link
If you want shots of small products, such as camera lenses for example, then the 18-55mm kit lens is all you need. It focuses impressively close and when stopped down to f/16 gives very nice quality.
Probably not the desired answer!
Probably not the desired answer!
Best regards, John
Posted 26/06/2013 - 10:23
Link
Thanks chaps, on further research I think I may just go the sensible route and plum for a D-FA 100mm Macro. It seems a sensible choice and keeps the 49mm filters along with the FA43 and DA15 (I plan to buy at some point) and has great build.
I think this may be the best route. (And wasting your time )
EDIT: Just seen that the DA15 does close focus at around 18cm which is about the same as the Sigma 24mm. It looks spot on for both!
I think this may be the best route. (And wasting your time )
EDIT: Just seen that the DA15 does close focus at around 18cm which is about the same as the Sigma 24mm. It looks spot on for both!
D-FA28-105 | FA43 | K55 | DA100 Macro | DA*300
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


242 posts
13 years
Faringdon
I want some sort of Macro lens to use for work (Product photography with close ups) but as its my own lens, I don't want to really get a standard telephoto Macro as I don't really do any photography that would use it, as I don't do any wildlife photography.
There is of course the DA35 Macro Limited and FA 50mm Macro but they are both so close to the FA43 I already have I am not sure I would use both.
The Sigma 24mm Macro would give me ~35mm FOV which would be useful as a general wide lens compared to the FA43's ~65mm FOV.
Also, 'if' Pentax ever make a FF camera, and 'if' I ever moved up to it I would already have two FF lenses.
Are there any other similar Wide lenses with Macro capability?
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream