GlynM

Joined: 10th December 2005

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

GlynM
McGregNi wrote:
...The obvious 1st choice is the D FA28-105. Not really any argument about that.
I agree. I think it produces superb results. Far better than some of my old FA lenses like the FA28-105 and FA28-200.

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Basic lens for K1 at 14/10/2017 - 11:47

GlynM
bjolester wrote:
I have seen how the SR works when using telelenses on a tripod, and forgetting to turn the SR off.
If you turn on the 2s self timer, which I often do when using a tripod, then SR is automatically disabled. On moving away from the self-timer setting SR returns to its previous setting. I think SR is also disabled for some of the other modes like remote control and mirror-up. You can see this happening by checking the current SR status in the info screen.

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Pentax SR wrong focal length input at 13/10/2017 - 19:25

GlynM
pschlute wrote:
Maybe its just me, but the first thing I do with a new camera is to go through the manual from page 1 !
I am not sure I read the whole manual but I certainly down-loaded and viewed quite a bit of it while I was waiting for my K1 to arrive. My wife says it is an aspey thing. It turns out that there is a strong thread of Asperger syndrome in my family, not recognised when I was a youngster but is probably why we make good engineers .

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Advice from K1owners. please... at 04/09/2017 - 10:33

GlynM
Having a reminiscent look at those early competitions my entries were really dreadful and I am amazed how polite the reviewers were with their comments .

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Weekly competition #519 Wheels at 29/06/2017 - 14:07

GlynM
I loved your winning bridge picture David. It was fantastic. Your skills were much better than mine. You must have got your first win in quite quickly. My first win was a couple of competitions later and I had been a member of this forum since late 2005, with a *ist DS, and think the first competition I entered was weekly #6 in July 2007. Hopefully I have got much better at this photography lark since then.


Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Weekly competition #519 Wheels at 29/06/2017 - 12:25

GlynM
Like David I have been doing these competitions for a long while and they have definitely changed. The first one I had to judge was back in 2008 and I got 36 entries which was somewhat terrifying. Fortunately someone had already explained that the best way to manage this was to write up each entry as it appeared.

Doing a quick search suggests that I have had to write up around 27 more competitions since then and none have beaten the 36 entries of the first. I also think I have the accolade for the competition with the least number of entries, of 4, for monthly competition #82, Preparations, in December 2011.

I agree that writing the comments is the hardest part and I have to admit that more recently, when in the privileged position to be asked to do it, that I am now trying to keep my comments a bit shorter.

I agree with Gwyn, traffic seams to be down significantly from those early days. I think having an inspiring but open subject is also key to getting a reasonable number of entries (which I now consider to be anything over 10). However we have covered so many subjects that I find it quite difficult to come up with something new.

Again like David I also really enjoy these competitions and would like to see them continue. They have certainly boosted my skills and confidence and in recent years have encouraged me to volunteer to judge my local club's annual competition.

I am not sure what the best way forward is but it would be heart breaking to see these competitions end.

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Weekly competition #519 Wheels at 28/06/2017 - 15:59

GlynM
Very disappointing to see so few people thanking David for his efforts.

It takes a lot of time, effort and commitment to run one of these competitions to David's standards and I think all entrants should just spend a few seconds writing a few words of appreciation.

Glyn

(Also posted in the competition comments)

Comment by GlynM posted on Weekly competition #519 Wheels at 27/06/2017 - 22:21

GlynM
And finally I'm in

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Weekly competition #519 Wheels at 24/06/2017 - 11:44

GlynM
Well I have got it down to 119 by filtering out the rubbish and removing duplicates. Of these 31 are specifically wheels while many of the others have wheels in them. I have got a couple of favourites but I am going to leave it until tomorrow so I can make a final choice with fresh eyes.

It was a good fun day out though and I can recommend the Amberley Museum & Heritage Centre for anyone who has a spare day in the south east. I was very impressed by the volunteers manning the various exhibits who were more than willing to stop and talk about their areas of expertise. I was captivated by the guy manning the cycle repair workshop by both his enthusiasm and knowledge.

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Weekly competition #519 Wheels at 23/06/2017 - 21:30

GlynM
I am working on it David. JaneM & I spent the day at the Amberley Museum in Sussex and perplexed several people because I kept photographing just the wheels!

Back home I now find I have 152 photos to review and possibly process but hopefully I will have something to put in the competition soon.

Glyn

Comment by GlynM posted on Weekly competition #519 Wheels at 23/06/2017 - 17:30

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo