Gedski

Joined: 18th November 2011

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Gedski
Another question. please. I'm using the K-50 and the Tamron f4-5.6 70-300mm lens. I obviously have the AF Safox IXi system. As you improve both the camera and therefore the AF system will the aforementioned lens also improve in performance, with regards to hunting, or will it not?

Comment by Gedski posted on K-50, KS-2 and K-70 systems. at 03/08/2016 - 12:58

Gedski
walt wrote:
Hi, I counted 14 in the flickr birds album and another 14 in the picasa birds albums all in flight with that lens. However quite a few are with even older cameras (with poorer af than my K-r and K30), the Pentax K100D and the Samsung GX10 (a pentax K10D clone). I know they are jumbled within the rest but I thought rather than post them here in the thread it would be better to point you too them. Sorry if they've been difficult to find. Also as I mention some are with the K30 as I don't have the K50 but believe it to be an almost identical camera.

Good Luck when the K-50 returns. I'll look out for your postings.
Thanks Walt. I'll have a little more time in the next day or two so I'll go back and have a longer look. I appreciate your time and comments, they are invaluable to a novice like myself. If only I had a brain!

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 03/08/2016 - 08:28

Gedski
Walt, I've taken a look at some of your bird shots, there are so many and very impressive they are too. I didn't see many taken with the K-R or the K-50 though, you must have about six cameras, there are so many shots.

I'm expecting my K-50 back tomorrow. It seems that I may have been the problem. As johnriley suggested a culmination of the aperture ring being dislodged by me somehow resulted in the memory card being corrupted. Result, problems.

Hopefully, if I've managed to learn anything over the weekend and weather allowing, I shall get some half decent BIF to post. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 02/08/2016 - 15:13

Gedski
Walt, many thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them out when my camera comes back, probably next weekend and I'll also look at your shots.

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 31/07/2016 - 12:04

Gedski
Mike-P, My reasons for getting the K-50 are thus. A couple of years ago I had a K-50. I tried and failed miserably to get BIF with it so I went to Canon. Now, with those couple of years further on I have gleaned a little photographic knowledge. I take rather good BIF with my 760D and so I should but I've wanted to go back to the K-50 and see if I could get decent BIF with it.

I had the chance to get a 'cheaper' second camera and a 'cheaper' lens which more or less gave me the same equipment as previously. I want to prove, if only to myself, that I can do BIF with the K-50 and Tamron lens. because of some medical problems my photographic life is a little limited and at my age I thought that now is as good a time as any to have another go with the K-50. So here goes.

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 30/07/2016 - 13:45

Gedski
Mike-P wrote:
If you can't get a sharp shot of a seagull (possibly the easiest BIF shot you are ever likely to shoot) with the Pentax gear you already have then personally I would stick with your Canon.

The 760D and 70-200mm L f4 are streets ahead of any Pentax camera/lens combo AF wise (especially tracking)
Hello Mike-P and thank you for your observations, they are much appreciated. The shots that you may have seen were the first and only ones that I have taken with the K-50. I deliberately used that Saturday afternoon as the skies were rather gloomy. I knew that I might struggle to get good shots but I wanted to see how the K-50 would respond to those gloomy skies.

My settings didn't help either, so when I get the camera back, using the settings information that you guys have kindly given me and brighter conditions I'm hopeful of getting some half decent BIF shots.

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 30/07/2016 - 10:32

Gedski
McGregNi and chrism8, I've inwardly digested your views about the camera settings and already have made notes of probably better options than I chose.

My 760D BIF are very good but so they should be. I'm also looking forward to trying the new settings out with the K-50 and I'm pretty confident, that in prevailing conditions, I shall get some half decent BIF shots. I must thank you all for the time and patience you've given to me.

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 29/07/2016 - 18:42

Gedski
Chrism8 wrote:
Pentax camera's can deliver good results, many members on here get some spectacular results

This was shot a couple of years ago, on a K5iis with a Sigma 70 - 200 @ 180mm 1/6400 sec F2.8 ISO 200 with spot metering and Continuous AF

Comment Image
Chrism8 I can't get near the type of lens you are using for my K-50. I blew it all on a Canon f4 70 - 200mm 'L' lens plus a 1.4 mark III converter for my 760D but I'm happy if I can get some half decent BIF with the K-50 and the Tamron 70-300mm Pentax fit lens.

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 29/07/2016 - 17:44

Gedski
McGregNi wrote:
Glad to see the shot finally appear! I agree that the 'consumer level' equipment can deliver the goods, although only generally when conditions are good and things are not conspiring against you. I do feel that the Tamron 70-300mm will continue to be a challenging lens for you for this type of photography, and if you have the funds I'd seriously look for good advice for alternatives. There are some very good bird / aircraft / action photographers around here who will know what to look for.

There's two parts to the equation with good IQ for this type of shot ..... there's the autofocus performance, as you've been concerned with here. However fast moving objects will also need a good high shutter speed to be captured sharp, and with your lens you will need to keep a close eye on this, and be ready to increase the ISO to obtain the needed speeds, especially if you're shooting around f8 for example. Certainly this will be a consideration in the dimmer conditions as you've been shooting in.

Do you know what the aperture, ISO and shutter speeds were used for these latest shots?
My portfolio top line reading from left to right details are thus;

1. f11 ISO 100 1/800th 300mm.

2. f11 ISO 100 1/500th 300mm.

3. f11 ISO 100 781/50000,( that can't be right) 300mm.

4. f6.3 ISO 100 1/1250 300mm and finally,

5. f5.6 ISO 400 1/1250 300mm. I think they are all correct.

Since these were taken I think that I've learned a little about the ISO and shutter settings to adopt. Unfortunately my camera was being naughty and showing me memory card error and F-- on the rear screen.

It has all gone back to the retailer at their suggestion, so I'll have to make do with my Canon 760D for now. As soon as I get either a replacement or a repair, I'll get going again. I also think the problem may be something that I've done or not done but It is going to be sorted out.

PS BIF with the 760D is a lot easier.

Comment by Gedski posted on Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens. at 29/07/2016 - 17:37

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo