Gajan

Joined: 17th September 2013

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Gajan
Bump

Comment by Gajan posted on WTB: Pentax 18-135 F3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR at 14/12/2013 - 12:40

Gajan
Please PM me with condition, price, payment method and preferably a link to photos of the lens.

You will post to Harrow, Middlesex, UK or I may be able to test and collect if within 10 miles.

Best Regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on WTB: Pentax 18-135 F3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR at 13/12/2013 - 11:11

Gajan
All of them are very nice!

Comment by Gajan posted on Ullswater Today - K-5iis and K-3 at 11/12/2013 - 08:38

Gajan
Malcom, looking at the price of these DA* models, I might think of them if and when I win a jackpot .

It looks like I will be going for an 18-135 as it is the favourite all rounder for majority of you here (or 18-270 if I can find a bargain). As Mike mentioned I have noticed used ones being listed here. I also find new ones online starting at about £325.00 at the moment and who knows the prices may go down further in the new year?

Comment by Gajan posted on Which lens is your favourite all round performer at 09/12/2013 - 21:28

Gajan
vic cross wrote:
Gajan. As I said it is my Happy Snapper Walk Around lens and for me for every day use it is fine. Others who are more critical may be able to answer your question better than me as I'm not a pixel peeper. Also as I said if I'm doing something special then I use my 10-20. 24-60f2.8. 50-500. 90mm macro etc. but you wanted what John would call a super zoom all singing all dancing lens. You'll not get a zoom that is perfect all through its range That's why so many of our esteemed colleagues use primes. I'd like to but I haven't got enough pennies. Quote "horses for courses" and "cut your cloth to suit your purse"
CHEERS Vic.
Vic, I understand what you mean and I will be tempted if I can find a used one at an affordable price.

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Which lens is your favourite all round performer at 09/12/2013 - 17:30

Gajan
chrisru wrote:
Gajan, I was a bit disappointed when I first got the lens as I had a few soft shots - if you look at the reviews then you can see that the centre is nearly always sharp. However the edges can be soft at large apertures and when the lens is used at the longer end. So if you can keep it around f8 then you should be OK at the shorter end up to 70mm.
Using the lens for landscapes at the wide angle end means choosing a smaller aperture, but for a portrait shot you would be OK with a wider aperture if the person's face was in the centre.
Greater than 70mm then you really want to have the subject around the middle given how poor the edges are getting.
Chris, thank you for your advice and will consider it when I get hold of one.

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Which lens is your favourite all round performer at 09/12/2013 - 17:26

Gajan
vic cross wrote:
If you can stretch to it why not get the 18-270. It may not be WR but it covers one hell of a range. I bought a used 18-250 as a holiday happy snapper to save carrying a lot of weight on planes and now unless I am doing something special it is my permanent walk around lens. I still use my very short and very long lenses for specific purposes but as I said my walk around lens is my 18-250.
CHEERS Vic.
Vic, with your 18-250, how do you find its performance at both extreme ends? Does it suffer any noticeable distortion at the widest and longest ends?

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Which lens is your favourite all round performer at 09/12/2013 - 13:42

Gajan
Thank you all for your comments.

chrisru wrote:
You just need to remember the sweet spot for the 18-135, keep it at an appropriately small aperture, and keep the subject matter in the centre at the longer end
Chris, with the f numbers in the range of 3.5-5.6 on this lens, will it make much difference which aperture we select? Could you elaborate on this?

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Which lens is your favourite all round performer at 09/12/2013 - 13:33

Gajan
Having recently purchased a new K5 (mk1) body, I have been using it with my old 18-55mm kit lens that had come with my old K100D Super.

Though I am happy with its performance, now I am looking to upgrade to a decent lens which I can take out for landscapes, portraits and close up photography, and probably weather-shielded. I am a casual photographer (photography is not my career), and I don't want to carry and change three different lenses while I am out.

My eyes are on Pentax 18-135 WR, but I am willing to hear of your experiences.

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Which lens is your favourite all round performer at 09/12/2013 - 09:08

Gajan
Excellent shots with great detail!

Comment by Gajan posted on First K3 wildlife at 07/12/2013 - 19:04

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo