Gajan

Joined: 17th September 2013

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Gajan
Yes I agree John, I have seen comments from those who are not entirely happy with their investment on FF.

Still I feel Pentax should come up with FF products not falling behind others. I am glad that they considering it and not rushing to produce some quick solution.

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Pentax Full Frame Comment at 19/09/2013 - 14:35

Gajan
johnriley wrote:
They are also saying, it seems to me, that the difference in quality would be hard to justify. I suppose it's inevitable that APS-C has become so good that FF would have to be extraordinary in some way to make the bulk and cost worthwhile.
While it is true that APS-C is very good, it seems some Pentaxians are moving to other brands just to upgrade to FF (if reasons given by some to sell their equipment is to be believed).

Comment by Gajan posted on Pentax Full Frame Comment at 19/09/2013 - 13:57

Gajan
layingback wrote:
I think you will find that the *original* 18-55 lens was a different optical design. This would be the Samsung 18-55, and any DA 18-55 which doesn't say II at the end.

The DA 18-55 II (from 2008 launch of the K-20D), the DA-L and the DA WR and the new DA-L WR (or whatever it's called) are the same optically.

Given this info then the quote by Gajan from "another site" is correct as expressed.

As the OP's 18-55 came with a K100D I would assume it to be a "Mk I" and so there should be a - small - improvement with any later model 18-55 kit lens.
I agree.

Comment by Gajan posted on Pentax 18-55 DA AL with K5 at 18/09/2013 - 17:13

Gajan
According to the following link,

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-18-55mm-F3.5-5.6-II-Version-2-Zoom-Lens.html#ixzz2fBIFhXHJ

"This new version of the 18-55mm Pentax kit lens was released in 2008 and features improved resolution. It has since been replaced by a weather-resistant variant."

Based on all your comments, I feel it will be worthwhile investing in a different and better lens instead. I already have zooms from Pentax and Sigma (28 - 80mm range) though not AF, I will make up mind which one it will be, once I get hold of a K5 and tested my current lens collection with it.

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Pentax 18-55 DA AL with K5 at 17/09/2013 - 21:13

Gajan
WR is not as good as non-WR? That's interesting! Could you elaborate the drop in IQ? Thanks

Comment by Gajan posted on Pentax 18-55 DA AL with K5 at 17/09/2013 - 17:34

Gajan
As John says, it makes sense to have a WR lens with the WR body of K5. However, as I already own a similar non WR lens which I am happy with, I would rather go for the new one if it provides any advantage such as better optical performance in addition to WR.

Thank you all for your comments.

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Pentax 18-55 DA AL with K5 at 17/09/2013 - 14:31

Gajan
Hi,

This is my first post to the Pentax forum. I have a K100D Super with the 18-55mm Kits lens. I also have some of M and A Pentax prime lenses in my collection. I am intending to upgrade to a K5 and am wondering if the new 18-55mm WR (and supposedly AL 2) is worth going for and its performance over the old kit lens I already have. If not I can go for just the body which seems to be competitively priced at the moment at £439.00.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Gajan

Comment by Gajan posted on Pentax 18-55 DA AL with K5 at 17/09/2013 - 12:35

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo