frob

Joined: 13th November 2013

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

frob
Really like 2/6 - that's my 12.1/2 pence worth.

Comment by frob posted on Bluebells at 24/04/2017 - 14:26

frob
Quote:
In terms of long term support it's hard to imagine any manufacturer who has been more supportive than Pentax, surely? The K mount has served brilliantly for 50 years and lenses from all that period can still be used without adapters or any inconvenience. We can even use, with some reduction in convenience, lenses going back over 60 years. The only other manufacturer who is in this league is Nikon, and even then not with such universal compatibility as Pentax.
Of course you are right to point that out , John, and perhaps we just take it for granted. I love my Pentax lenses, my K5 and K3 and no way will I ever give them up without extremely good reason BUT age and mobility (more the lack of) can force a serious rethink.

Rob

Comment by frob posted on Updates for our system cameras at 26/03/2017 - 02:19

frob
My Xt-10 is 380g and the XPro 2 480g ( not that I own one) whilst my K3 is 715g, so there is a significant difference. At the moment I use my XT10 with legacy lenses via adapters and it is a joy to carry it a round but as we all know, no camera system is perfect and Fuji have there own problems, RAW conversion from the Xtrans sensor , being the one that troubles me the most, along with some colour reproduction discrepancies, so all is not roses. I am seriously thinking of switching but I already have a list of things I would miss from my Pentax. The green button and catch in focus lead the way at the moment. Whether the weight savings and the Fuji customer and model support will swing me to change I do not know as yet. The experiment is ongoing.
Stay safe,
Rob.

Comment by frob posted on Updates for our system cameras at 25/03/2017 - 23:41

frob
Hi Takuman - I've used the siggy for a couple of years and is a surprisingly good all rounder IMO. The reviews seem to be a bit negative but that's not been my experience. I think I paid around £150.00 for mine, and have never regretted it. I have used it on a K5 and a K3. If you want to PM me a n email address, I'll send you 2/3 full samples.
Regards,
Rob

Comment by frob posted on Sigma EX 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 OS HSM DC Lens at 24/02/2017 - 16:00

frob
To be fair Jessops I went into their branch in Birmingham and they had a Pentax presence. Cameras, lenses AND a Pentax person.

Comment by frob posted on The return of Jessops!! at 21/12/2016 - 16:39

frob
There is another aspect to this question of older lenses which has been the dominating factor in my using pedominantly cheap prime 'm' or 'a' lenses, that being the variable quality control that seems to bedevil not only 'AF zoom' lenses, but the cameras themselves. When buying anything resarch into the product is highly advisable, but when you constantly get comments alluding to either good or bad copies it is very disconcerting when you are asked to risk quite large (to me, anyway) sums on a product that could be a total disaster. Yes there are poor copies of older lenses, but I would rathjer lose £25.00 than £250.00.
And, to agree with the above, catch in focus is top draw, even down to my 50mm A, 1.7
Regards,
Rob

Comment by frob posted on SMC M lenses at 03/06/2016 - 10:22

frob
It was indeedy a pleasant transaction and good to meet a felow Pentaxian- many thanks Daz and I'm enjoying it aleady

Enjoy the concert

Rob

Comment by frob posted on 20-40mm Limited in Silver at 03/06/2016 - 00:51

frob
I did PM you but hace no reply

Frob

Comment by frob posted on 20-40mm Limited in Silver at 31/05/2016 - 10:00

frob
I have this arguement constantly with my 'shooting buddy', who demands to see 'the original'. And the arguement goes on and on. I have tried to explain that I prefer to adjust the photo on a 23" screen rather than letting some guy in Japan do it for me etc etc, but one thing we do agree on, is that composition and imagination is more important. A rubbish shot is a rubbish shot no matter how much 'processing ' I do.

Comment by frob posted on this will be intresting at 21/05/2016 - 07:29

frob
I love the quality that the 'old' lenses give me, and the fun. I broke my 50mm 1.7 'M' last week, which I adored but found a 1.7 'A' on the bay which cost me £35.00 incl postage. Once it was set up I would be pushed to say my £250 plus 2.8 35mm Ltd is giving better results. I fear not. I have to say, though, I am a great beliver in 'catch in focus' with my manual. I am also loving having the feedback the 'A' lenses give.

Best wishes,
Rob

Comment by frob posted on SMC M lenses at 21/05/2016 - 06:47

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo