elfer

Joined: 27th January 2012

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

elfer
judderman62 wrote:
K30 isn't top end - that's already been said in this thread
what buttons is it missing that are so important ?

Green button ..check
ae/af lock ... check
two control wheels .. check
live view button ..check
exposure compensation ..check
iso button..check


errr what you looking for exactly ?
I can't help but think blob has a point.

Compared to the K10D, the K-30 has:

Separate AE Lock and AF Lock buttons ..nope
Dedicated DOF preview switch ..nope
AF point switching dial ..nope
Dedictaed AF point shift buttons ..nope
Metering mode lever ..nope

Sure, you can (almost) always use the menus to access what you need.

You can also configure the joint AF/AE lock button to work for AF only (not sure how you'd then lock AE) and you can assign DOF preview to the jpeg/raw button (but then you lose it as a jpeg/raw button).

The four-way selecter buttons toggle acting as AF point selectors with being flash/WB/ISO/shutter mode buttons by a long press of the central OK button, rather than being dedicated AF buttons that can only be used as flash/WB/ISO/shutter function buttons by pressing a separate Fn button first. What that means in practice is, because I'm not used to keeping a mental tab on which toggle state my selector buttons are in, I keep messing up my WB, ISO, flash and shutter settings whilst wondering why my AF point isn't moving.

Of course, none of this can't be got used to. But it's a bit frustrating using an entry-level body during the first few outings when you've come from a high-end body. That's were the K-5 comes in. You're not paying more for better images so much as for better ergonomics, in my opinion.

Comment by elfer posted on Why is the K30 cheaper ? at 08/11/2012 - 10:31

elfer
On the other hand, they're still asking USD749 for the K-30.

Comment by elfer posted on Pentax K-01 for $350? at 06/11/2012 - 19:39

elfer
Or simply upload an uneditted DNG or jpeg to

http://myshuttercount.com

Comment by elfer posted on Shutter count K20D? at 06/11/2012 - 16:11

elfer
mattie wrote:
I spoke to a very helpful person at SRS who told me that the spirit level is displayed on the rear screen but not in viewfinder.
Actually, there is a level indicator in the viewfinder. It's a bit crude, but it's there. It has bars that appear to the left if the camera is leaning left and to the right if it's leaning right. The greater the number of bars, the more the lean. You could be half a degree or so out though before anything shows up, so it's more accurate to use the grid lines if there's something horizontal in frame to align them to. Still, it could be useful at night when it's too dark to see the grid lines.

Comment by elfer posted on Replacement for *istD at 06/11/2012 - 12:36

elfer
I'd trade you my SRS proximity for your scenery any day!

...if only the commute to work wouldn't be so bad

Hope they sort you out a deal. Looking forward to seeing your images on this site

Comment by elfer posted on Looking at coming to Pentax - New K30 or used K7? at 05/11/2012 - 10:29

elfer
blob wrote:
Do they? Doesn't say so on the listing.

Looking at it, it does say so on the body only prices but not on the kits
Sorry, my mistake. Their site isn't loading properly on my pc this morning so I couldn't check first. Mind you, if you're after the WR lens would it still be a kit, or a body + a lens split from a K-5 kit? You never know and, as you say, £20 helps

blob wrote:
Do I need to quote anything to get the free p&p from SRS? Or just mention the forum?
They normally ask for your member number. I believe you can put it in the comments field if ordering online (I don't live far away so I just pop in when I need something).

Comment by elfer posted on Looking at coming to Pentax - New K30 or used K7? at 05/11/2012 - 10:10

elfer
If anyone wants the grip alone, I'll let it go for £35 delivered.

Comment by elfer posted on D-BG2 battery grip for K10D + Spare Battery. at 05/11/2012 - 09:35

elfer
SRS already throw in an aftermarket battery...

Comment by elfer posted on Looking at coming to Pentax - New K30 or used K7? at 05/11/2012 - 09:21

elfer
bwlchmawr wrote:

There, it's happened again! Just as I find I've garnered enough cash for a modern DSLR (in this case, a lovely blue K-30 at the "bargain" price of £319, which is 6.3 tanks-ful of petrol) someone writes something to make me feel I'd be better off sticking with my beloved K10.
I just went from a K10 to a K-30. I loved the build and handling of the K10. The K-30 does feel toy-like in comparison. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, and learn not to miss all the dedicated buttons and top mounted LCD. There's no denying the improvement in autofocus and dynamic range though, and I even venture above ISO200 if I need to now. Though I still don't think you can beat the K10D at ISO100.

If the K-5 had had a similar price cut, or I could have afforded one, I'd have gone there instead. It just feels 'right' to me when I pick one up. Which brings me nicely back on topic

Congratulations to bjolester on the purchase. Those Mily Way shots look great. Very clean too. Are they straight out of the camera? I'm impressed with how little noise there is, even at ISO12800.

Comment by elfer posted on New K-5 first shots at 05/11/2012 - 08:59

elfer
Are you sure that's not just one of those 800mm mirrors with a PK mount?

The first bullet point under Technical Details says "with adapter for use on Pentax Q cameras"

I could be wrong, but it looks very similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/walimex-800mm-Mirror-Pentax-Samsung/dp/B001TYMLF8

Comment by elfer posted on 500mm and 800mm Lenses for Q at 04/11/2012 - 21:46

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo