Replacement for *istD

mattie

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 13:44
Hi all

My wife and I share a *istD and a K10D between us, but the differences between the two are beginning to frustrate - partly the *istD is notably slower than the K10D (in the sense of data writing and displaying images post-shot), partly as they handle quite differently (takes a short while to 're-tune') but mainly as they use different memory cards.

Seeing as SD seems to have won the battle, and the K10D is a newer model, I thought I'd (reluctantly) chop in the *istD for something newer.

There are two possible approaches - eBay the *istD and put in a few quid to get something of similar vintage to K10D, or save up and go for a new body - maybe even this mooted full-frame variant? - over the longer term.

Has anyone else made similar changes, and do they have any all-important benefits of hindsight to share?

As an aside - I went to the Frome camera fair over w/e and there was an unboxed K20D minus a few peripherals going for a song but, after going home to run it past the missus, it (and the mifsuds stall) had gone by the time I returned. Still kicking myself for missing out on that one. That would have been a very handy upgrade, both same layout and use same batteries as well.
Last Edited by mattie on 05/11/2012 - 13:45

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 13:58
maybe a K20d may come along for sale in the classifieds....a newer Pentax will have a different interface to the K10/20D...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

johnriley

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 14:00
You're right that having identical bodies is an advantage. There are not that many K10D and K20D bodies around actually, people seem to be hanging on to them. However, they do pop up here from time to time.

However, my feeling is that you might consider moving forwards even more than that. At the moment 2 K30 bodies would set you back just 319.00 each after cashback. Then you would both be up the the latest technology, adding amazing speed compared to the *istD and even the K10D, much bigger screen, weather sealing and better low light performance. You would keep the pentaprism viewfinder.

After that, you could probably get 300 - 400 or so from your cameras here or on eBay, so the total outlay would be quite low overall.

Sooner or later you would have to upgrade anyway, so here's a golden opportunity for you both to do so.
Best regards, John

mattie

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 14:20
The K30D deal does look tempting. I would say I'm not keen on losing the top display, very handy for tripod shooting, but assume the rear screen can act in a similar capacity.

How much of a step-up is the K30D seen as? I'll do some research - I only ever really get interested at time of upgrade so I'm a bit behind curve here - but I will admit my usual approach is to buy a second-hand body from someone who's just upgraded to 'bleeding edge'. I've never actually owned a camera from a contemporary current product range! All very exciting!

I'll also admit to a slight reservation over the price of the K30D. Are Pentax just seeking product differentiation, is it end-of-line or is it a bit of a 'lemon'? I'm sure this has been covered in threads passim on the forums, so I'll have a browse.

As an aside, I had a go of a mate's Sony A650 (I think - the one with the semi-transparent mirror a la the old Canon EOS1HS) and it had a built-in spirit level in the viewfinder - a digital 'artificial horizon' that was actually very useful indeed. Genius idea. Do any Pentax cameras have this?
Last Edited by mattie on 05/11/2012 - 14:20

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 14:30
I agree with John...

The K30 bodies are a steal at the moment and the upgrade is moumentous...

I do think John is being a little hopeful in his esimate of what you could realistically expect for the sale of your *ist & K10... I'd think you'd be looking at 300 topside for the 2 bodies you have...

Still that almost pays for one K30...

(I assumed you would want to keep your current lens line-ups and are only interested in upgrading the bodies themselves...)
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

mattie

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 14:47
300 seems sensible - both boxed, the *istD with an unboxed grip, so might be able to push it a little bit north but I'd be content with 300.

I suspect we may end up just selling off the *istD and getting a K30D though - I anticipate putting in 200 to do this, or thereabouts. The K10D seems fine to me so in no real rush to change.

On that note, interested to hear if people think it's worth having a CCD and a CMOS-based body, would one type be better suited for a given type of photography (I'm thinking image quality and low-light performance would be the key measures here)?
Last Edited by mattie on 05/11/2012 - 14:50

johnriley

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:00
Quote:
On that note, interested to hear if people think it's worth having a CCD and a CMOS-based body, would one type be better suited for a given type of photography (I'm thinking image quality and low-light performance would be the key measures here)?

The newer bodies are just better all round, so I don't think we can get much advantage with any particular type of sensor in itself. The K10D produces lovely images, but which one of you would be using it in bright light at low ISO values at any given time? You wouldn't be swapping cameras all the time....I'm not even convinced there is much difference one way or another at ISO100.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Best regards, John

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:00
have to wade in here in terms of valuation of *ist D and K10D - I think mine was the most recent *ist D sale - but 70-75 is as much as you can realise for the body - maybe 25 for the grip I can't remember how much I received for my grip but I sold it before the body.

Now that K20D's are selling around the 225 mark this will affect what K10Ds are selling at... so please don't expect that trading both in and getting a K30 with no cash outlay is a done deal...Even then, you'll end up with just one camera body and not two....

CCD vs CMOS - a lot of people prefer CCD - I don't see much difference personally - liked the results from my *ist D, DL, K10D, K20D and K-5....
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

johnriley

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:03
I don't think the OP was intending to trade in two cameras and keep one. They need two as far as I can see.

I'm hard pressed to find any K20D bodies on eBay at any given time and the last one I sold fetched nearly 400 I think, when the K-5 came out. I realise time has moved on, but there's a real shortage of supply.
Best regards, John

MattMatic

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:07
Just a thought that bit me...
The K10D is built out of magnesium alloy and ABS. If it's ever dropped, the connector between the SD card PCB and main PCB can break resulting in intermittent SD write failures etc. A real PITA to fix (if at all).

I'd suggest K20D upwards

Mind you, when I compared my wife's *ist-Ds + DA16-45 with the Pentax Q, the Q trumped it by a long way for IQ! So, depending on what your needs are, there are plenty of options

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

mattie

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:12
Yep, two cameras would be the plan - the question is whether to go for a quick-and-easy upgrade of the older (*istD) now or just accept it'll eventually be worth peanuts so use it to death whilst saving for a higher-spec body.

For the first option I was considering only used bodies, but the K30D seems a possibility. As they're available new - and therefore supply is assured at that price - I could chop in both current cameras and go for two up-to-date bodies. This would, of course, involve more of an outlay but as I'd be selling the more valuable K10D this wouldn't necessarily be twice the outlay of just changing the *istD.

(eta: actually, the K10D isn't boxed, which will impact value)

For the second option I'd have to hold fire until I'd saved a reasonable amount, and the only thing that I would really like would be a full-frame sensor as hinted at elsewhere - this would make a lot of my old lenses quite useful again, but I would expect that will not be cheap at point of release. I'm not sure if I'd see colossal benefit in saving for (e.g.) a K5 over a K30D, given I'd have to wait some time before purchasing.

eta: It's never easy, is it!
Last Edited by mattie on 05/11/2012 - 15:13

Blythman

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:18
johnriley wrote:
I don't think the OP was intending to trade in two cameras and keep one. They need two as far as I can see.

I'm hard pressed to find any K20D bodies on eBay at any given time and the last one I sold fetched nearly 400 I think, when the K-5 came out. I realise time has moved on, but there's a real shortage of supply.

Looking at recent completed listings suggests they are not fetching anything like that now John
http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_nkw=pentax+k20d&LH_Comp...

Struggling to get much more than 300 for a K-7
http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_nkw=pentax+k7&LH_Comple...

And finally, recent K10 prices
http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_nkw=pentax+k10d&LH_Comp...
Alan

PPG
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:21
Thanks Alan, when I searched a month or two back there were none! It looks like a lot of K20D owners have decided they want something now, and that's probably a K30 or K-5 II/IIs!

I wouldn't sell a K20D for that, it's still too good.
Best regards, John

mattie

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:26
Not disastrous prices, but may have to work out the finances a bit before deciding.

A direct question, if I may - the dpreview of the K30D talks about an electronic level (on the 5th page here) but I can find no mention of whether the viewfinder has such a level.

Does anyone know if there is one?

Blythman

Link Posted 05/11/2012 - 15:31
johnriley wrote:
Thanks Alan, when I searched a month or two back there were none! It looks like a lot of K20D owners have decided they want something now, and that's probably a K30 or K-5 II/IIs!

I wouldn't sell a K20D for that, it's still too good.

I've got a similar problem with my K-x John. Won't part with it for peanuts. Considered an IR conversion but just been quoted 312 including vat. So, I guess it will just sit there getting the occasionally outing for nostalgia or if the K5 is ever "off the road"

All off topic - sorry
Alan

PPG
Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.