davex

Joined: 13th January 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

davex
Weather permitting am going on a balloon flight in a few weeks time.
Any advice on focal lenghts gratefully received.

Davex.

Comment by davex posted on What FL for a balloon trip ? at 01/10/2011 - 16:32

davex
Quote:
But would you use it at f3.5 for this sort of shot?
No I would not, thing is though in a comparison I think one has to decide where the set the boundaries, all lenses at their maximum aperture to me is more consistent a test than say setting everything 2 stops down from maximum, my intent was not to show how good or not the 18-135 is, it was to compare it to a range of lenses of varying reputations.
I think it fairs quite well.

Davex.

Comment by davex posted on DA 18-135WR Comparisons (11 images) at 01/10/2011 - 15:00

davex
After acquiring my 18-135WR I thought some comparisons might be interesting.
All shots taken on K5 as straight Jpegs, max aperture available, matrix metered, Auto Focus. only re-sized in PS no other adjustments.

18mm, 3 lenses Samsung 12-24,18-55WR,18-135WR

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image


35mm, 18-135WR,Sigma 24-70 F2.8, 18-55WR
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image


70mm, DA55-300,Siggy 24-70, 18-135WR
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image


135mm, 18-135WR, 55-300.
Comment Image

Comment Image


Not sure what if anything this proves.
Davex.

Comment by davex posted on DA 18-135WR Comparisons (11 images) at 01/10/2011 - 14:11

davex
Quote:
you are going to realise that you NEED a DA 10-17 Fisheye.
I am coming to that realisation, I have zooms and primes covering 8mm - 500mm + a very good teleconverter, I do not have a fisheye so I must Need one.

Davex.

Comment by davex posted on Do you REALLY need more lenses?! at 01/10/2011 - 10:21

davex
Used the Sgma 8-16 for the first 2 garden shots above, it is a great lens, not had chance to use it properly yet, but off to Sicily in a few weeks. The other 2 shots taken with Samsung 12-24, another cracker;

Inside Concorde.
Comment Image

Comment by davex posted on looking for photos taken at 10mm and 17mm please at 30/09/2011 - 15:51

davex
Quote:
She just found out. She's not a happy bunny!
It`s taken me a while but I have finally found a way around this;
Always get to the post first, put new lens in camera bag.
Buy wife some flowers or other such trifle, possibly actually trifle if she likes it.
If caught never admit the real cost, I find the shoe measure usefull on such occasions, e.g; 35-70 = less than a pair of shoes. If further challenged point out that shoes wear out a lot quicker than lenses, then if you are lucky you can turn the argument into one about shoes.

Davex.

Comment by davex posted on On the brink of LBA!!! at 30/09/2011 - 15:36

davex
Why stop at 17mm?

8mm
Comment Image

10mm
Comment Image

12mm
Comment Image

17mm
Comment Image


No claims to artistic merit, but they do answer your question.

Davex

Comment by davex posted on looking for photos taken at 10mm and 17mm please at 30/09/2011 - 15:26

davex
No,
Also, Polarisers come in two forms, Linear and circular; this refers to the type of Polarisation not the shape of filter.
Most AF cameras cannot use Linear Polarisers due to the effect the polarisation has on the AF detector, this does not apply to Pentax AF systems
Linear polarisers are much cheaper than circular polarisers, if you can find one.
The only issue you may have is seeing the effect in the viewfinder, much more obvious using live view.

Davex.

Comment by davex posted on polariser at 29/09/2011 - 20:59

davex
An area I have tried to photograph a few times, usually fail.
I wonder if your crop has a touch too much sky Simon?
Think if you cut the top by a third it might give the composition a better balance, thus making the Abbey more the centre of attention?

Davex.

Comment by davex posted on Valle Crucis Abbey/Castell Dinas Bran - Llangollen at 28/09/2011 - 09:27

davex
I also thought your post was usefull Chris, I think your summary at the end that;
Quote:
I'm starting to think the 18-135 is going to be quite usable
Is probably correct, the current list price is, as others have said way to high, once it drops to a more reasionable level I think many will find it a good walkabout.
Mine arrives today, hope to do some testing over the weekend.
Keep reviewing Chris, is it usefull.

Davex.

Comment by davex posted on DA 18-135 WR at 28/09/2011 - 08:52

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo