polariser

davem

Link Posted 29/09/2011 - 19:56
Is here any reason why a circular polariser lens would not work with the non digital lenses and a film camera?

Dave

davex

Link Posted 29/09/2011 - 20:59
No,
Also, Polarisers come in two forms, Linear and circular; this refers to the type of Polarisation not the shape of filter.
Most AF cameras cannot use Linear Polarisers due to the effect the polarisation has on the AF detector, this does not apply to Pentax AF systems
Linear polarisers are much cheaper than circular polarisers, if you can find one.
The only issue you may have is seeing the effect in the viewfinder, much more obvious using live view.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 03/10/2011 - 20:27
Whenever possible I prefer to use linear polarizers for their more pronounced effect.
A linear polarizer will cause erroneous readings on a Pentax LX in manual mode.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!

Hardgravity

Link Posted 03/10/2011 - 22:43
When I shot a lot more film than I do now I used a linear polarizer on my lens.

By turning the filter whilst looking through the viewfinder you could see the effect.

I don't think circular ones show this, which could make them awkward to use.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

davidstorm

Link Posted 03/10/2011 - 23:24
The circular ones do allow you to see the effect when rotated. However, beware using a circular one on the DA 55-300 lens as it upsets the optical configuration of this lens and causes shots to be very out of focus.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Opethian

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 01:06
davex wrote:
Most AF cameras cannot use Linear Polarisers due to the effect the polarisation has on the AF detector, this does not apply to Pentax AF systems

Okay, this is contrary to what I read almost everywhere on the web. Are you saying my GX-10 can use a Linear Polarizer?

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

gartmore

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 07:35
ChrisPlatt wrote:
Whenever possible I prefer to use linear polarizers for their more pronounced effect.

Chris

Well done! I thought I was the only person around here who knew that

Linear PLs work perfectly well on Pentax cameras.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 08:21
I never believed the 'linear polarizers don't work on digital' line, and have been using them all along with no problems. Even if they did cause AF and metering issues, it wouldn't matter for what I use them for, as there's plenty of time for manual adjustments in landscape photography.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

womble

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 13:04
gartmore wrote:
ChrisPlatt wrote:

Chris

Well done! I thought I was the only person around here who knew that

Linear PLs work perfectly well on Pentax cameras.

I'm curious as to what the problem with the LX in manual mode is? Largely because I am a LX user that often uses a polariser, although I think all mine are circular. I often wondered if circular ones were less effective as I remember how much difference the linear one made with my ME Super back in the day.

Thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

gartmore

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 13:18
Kris, somewhere I have the Pentax CPL instruction leaflet which explains the problem, I'll have a hunt for it.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

womble

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 14:28
Thanks Ken.

Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

gregmoll

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 17:26
Here is a link to the Pentax filter manual.

link

Greg

davem

Link Posted 04/10/2011 - 19:23
thanks for the help
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.