Critical-i

Joined: 30th October 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Critical-i
RichardDay wrote:
Anvh wrote:
This from DPreview Richard
Quote:
Comparison to other wideangle zooms we've tested recently suggests the Sigma's class-leading days may be numbered. On APS-C, it simply can't match the biting central sharpness of the Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di-II in the 10-18mm range (for which, we suspect, users will mainly be buying this type of lens), and has more problematic distortion characteristics.
Doesn't sound to bad right? link
I agree that the results in DPR suggest that it's somewhat better than Sigma, which I would hope!

However when you compare it with the results from the Tokina (Pentax) 12-24, the divergence is much larger, especially at the optimum aperture of around f8 where the 12-24 hovers close to the Nyquist limits across almost the whole frame, wheras the Tamron and especially the Sigma fall down quite badly.

From Peter's tests, it would appear that the Tamron is much closer to the Pentax in many respects and maybe even better in some areas. :

Anyway, I will trot over to SRS at some time to see if it's a worthy addition to my bag.

I don't "need" more than the 17-70 in most circumstances, certainly not enough to spend 12-24 money (even the Samsung at £450 'ish), but it would be nice to have something centred around 14mm which I find a very workable F/L for quick wide shots (I usually prefer to stitch several shots when I have the time to compose). I have considered the DA 10-17 as I quite like the lack of perspective stretch distortion and the creative effects obtainable from a fish eye, but de-fishing, even at the longer end where it's less damaging, reduces the IQ sufficiently to be unattractive.
Well, I am very skeptical about a reviewer that only tests a lens at max aperture (with maximum falloff and CA) and minimum aperture (with diffraction reducing resolution). These are the only apertures I never use, and F22 on a wide angle lens is entirely pointless because DOF is huge anyway.

Its really not a rigorous review and I would not take its results all that seriously except to say its probably better than the Sigma. However its good value given that the price Pentax wants for the 12-24 is just grand comedy.

Comment by Critical-i posted on Tamron 10-24 ePHOTOzine review by Pete Bargh at 12/10/2009 - 23:07

Critical-i
nigelp wrote:
1. I have the 50mm 1.4. It seems really soft at under f2.8, by f4.00 it is sharp. Is this normal? I ask this as this lens was attatched to my K100D that got destroyed when it was soaked. I am now using it on my new K20 and when I zoom in on an image it looks soft (almost blurry) but is fine by the time I go upto f4. Could it have suffered some kind of water damage?

2. I have the 50-200 kit lens and I really enjoy the range of it. I like getting candid portraits at the long end. What would be a good replacement for it to get a better quality lens?

Thanks for any help
50 F1.4 is very soft wide open with low contrast. Its far more noticeable on a camera like the K20 at 100% (14M) than the K100 (6M).

Not unusual for lenses in this class. See here....

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/126-pentax-smc-fa-50mm-f14-review--lab-test-repor...

The 55-300 is a nice lens but not a major step up in IQ or speed terms (and its performance tails off a bit beyond 240mm). If you want a major improvement then you need to look at the 60-250 F4 which is a stunning lens.

Comment by Critical-i posted on Couple of lens questions at 11/10/2009 - 12:11

Critical-i
mikew wrote:
But there are and always have been times when that's simply not possible so that we have always needed post processing of some form.

But we do agree that everyone should master getting the basics right in camera - the best possible exposure, the focus, the DOF and the composition. On that I am sure we agree.

Mike
But the best possible exposure may also be the one that allows the most lattitude in post processing (low contrast, underexposed to protect highlights, no sharpening) rather than the one that looks best in camera (correct mid-tone exposure, high contrast).

I tend to shoot with the aim to maximise the potential of the end result, which is slightly different from getting it perfect in the camera. I shoot everything in RAW and process accordingly.

Its true you still have to start with something thats properly composed, in focus and has a WB close to reality, but you may well make different choices of exposure.

Comment by Critical-i posted on Do we rely too much on Technology at 30/09/2009 - 10:35

Critical-i
impotentspider wrote:

So is there a new generation of photographers who simply cant take pictures? or to put it strongly, lack the skills or patience to capture an image without having to resort to modern technology and expecting the camera to do everything bar composing the shot and pressing the shutter.
Aha, but there you have it in a nutshell. The ONLY thing that really matters at the end of the day is composition and timing. The camera is just a tool, but learning the principles or exposure is not rocket science. The hard bit is making good images.

Digital is great. It demystifies and democratises photography. An aesthetically talented kid can now make great images naturally without the hardware getting in the way.

However a whole new generation of aesthetically challenged drones Flickr and Twitter us to death with a tide of banal mediocrity which just happens to be properly exposed and in focus, but who cares?

Thing is, no amount of technology can...

Give you the ability to previsualise the shot
Give you a sense of aesthetics
Give you empathy for your subject
Teach you when to shoot and when to watch
Give you the instinct for narrative that makes every truly great shot
etc..

This can all be learned of course, but its a much bigger deal than learning what F stop to use. Its the difference between being a master builder and a master architect. But very very few bother. Few even understand the problem.

Of course its much easier to talk about gear and F stops on camera forums and blame the gear when our shots dont look like Joe Cornish's.

Comment by Critical-i posted on Do we rely too much on Technology at 30/09/2009 - 00:21

Critical-i
3 lenses over 18 months no issues.

Comment by Critical-i posted on SDM issues? A straw poll. at 28/09/2009 - 13:33

Critical-i
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
No offence meant John (and this isn't directed at you personally), but while I agree the darkroom had a nice cozy feeling, I completely disagree with this idea that we have somehow 'lost' something by going digital. Photography is now far more available to the masses than it used to be, and I think that annoys some of the old guard. Viva la revolution, I say!
I think you may have misunderstood the point I was making. I wasn't talking about cozy darkrooms and a longing for that red light - I would never want to go back to that - but about the very very highest standard possible. I have only ever seen that level once and wouldn't have the patience to try and emulate it, but it was a quality level that far exceeds the levels of digital photography. What we have lost is the skills that make that level of printing possible.
I dont know about that. I look around photo exhibitions, like the Vanity Fair exhibition in the NPL a while back, and I see extraordinary quality print work - some of the larger ones were exceptional even though they started as slide or neg. I have also looked at a lot of Charlie Waite's work close up and considering he still uses 6X6 slide film, the prints are wonderful.

I dont think the skills have gone, I think they are morphing into digitized scanning and photo-printing skills instead of direct analogue printing skills. Its not the same but the flexibility offered and potential output quality is if anything even greater.

My own eyesight tells me that current colour reproduction (generally digitised then printed) is WAY better than anything I saw 20 years ago.

B&W, possibly not however. I think there is still a technology issue with greyscale. Somehow digital prints still look lifeless.

As for the OP question, the quality of my output is miles ahead of where I was 10 years ago. I can print A3+ at home. Sure I took the trouble to learn photoshop, colour management etc.

Are the original shots better? Yes, because I can now learn from my mistakes and see where I went wrong. I actually take far LESS shots now that I used to because I know when I nailed it.

Digital gave me back control of the whole process - something I lost when I lost access to a darkroom and only regained when I got my first neg scanner in '98.

Comment by Critical-i posted on dilute photography at 25/09/2009 - 20:59

Critical-i
pentaxian450 wrote:
My dog for the last twelve years passed away this evening. He was like the kid we never had. Life is a bitch...
Sorry to hear that, having lost 2 of my best friend over the years it leaves a huge hole in your life.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, can make you feel more full of springs than a new pup.

Comment by Critical-i posted on I feel like sh** at 11/08/2009 - 00:58

Critical-i
johnriley wrote:
"An Englishman's home is his castle" is perhaps a phrase that explains the viewpoint in the UK. Basically, that what we do is our affair and nothing to do with anyone else - the presumption is one of innocence. Anything that offends that is a bit contrary to the way of life as it has always been.

In the same way the presumption in law has been that everything is allowed unless specifically proscribed, because Honour and other good values were taught as a way of life, this was a viable situation.

Whether this can be sustained in the modern world I really don't know.
Plus ca change? I think middle aged men have had the exact same conversation throughout history. We could be sitting in the forum in the middle of Ancient Rome complaining about the vigiles (Roman police) and the rise in violent crime (which was remarkable rare in the nicer parts of the city).

I think a lot of white middle class photographers are now experiencing first hand what it was like to be black or Irish or live in a working class estate throughout most of the '60s, '70s and '80s. We didnt know how bad it was because nobody cared and it was rarely reported but knife crime was commonplace.

I dont think much has changed actually, only who is affected and how it is reported. Its a bit like swine flu.

Personally I have had many friendly conversations with Met officers while out with a camera, but on the other hand have had many MANY run ins with officious PCSOs, security guards, a traffic warden (who I photographed ticketing a car when a woman was actually buying a ticket) and an irate office manager (who told me I couldn't photograph her office because it was grade 2 listed - I kid you not).

By comparison the police are for the most part quite tolerant and (considering how much crap they have to put up with from complete morons) surprisingly polite. I am reliably informed (by a friend who is also an officer) that arresting someone does involve a huge amount of paperwork and is generally avoided if there is a good chance that its a waste of time, or if it doesnt contribute to the home office's flavour of the month crime prevention statistic.

Bad apples? Of course. Always were. I guess we have all forgotten the Met's reputation during the miners strike, or the corruption trials in the late '70s, or the Stephen Lawrence enquiry, or the Birmingham 6, or the SPG (remember the Sgt Savage sketch?). Law enforcement is a reflection of the times and has always relied on a few "willing enforcers" who read the wrong comics as kids, hence it attracts the overzealous just as it attracts the public spirited and brave. If it were entirely full of "nice chaps" it would also (sadly) be pretty useless when dealing with hardened gangs and terrorism.

I just wish they wouldn't be quite so obvious about covering things up, but then we have politicians who are quite good at that too.

Comment by Critical-i posted on Just who is training these poltroons? at 27/07/2009 - 02:43

Critical-i
Darkmunk wrote:
Steve, your post beggars belief. Go away and insert brain.
If you want to learn something, go and read the million tutorials already out there.
I have £500 worth of diffusers, because there's still a market for flattering images. Sometimes I chose just the brolly. That doesn't make me unimaginative, or unskillful, that makes me shrewd. I am aware of all the other possibilities and I explore them when it is appropriate.

In this thread I simply took up the gauntlet of defending what is rapidly becoming a much maligned piece of equipment.

So yes I'm being defensive - I'm defending the umbrella.

But... I'll speak slowly for you Steve, I agree with Ben that we should try to be more imaginative and I don't agree with Ken's Friend. Is that OK?
Well clearly you know a lot because you spend £500 on diffusers and see fit to disparage, despise and belittle anyone you disagree with. It's a shame therefore that you are not willing to share that knowledge because it must be something really special.

Most people I come across who are any good have developed several unique techniques so I never assume I can't learn from someone whose work I have not come across before, however many books I read, courses I complete, or years I practice.

However I prefer to learn from people with a more friendly and outgoing personality, so perhaps its not such a bad thing after all.

Comment by Critical-i posted on Why I HATE Umbrella Lighting... at 22/07/2009 - 22:15

Critical-i
Darkmunk wrote:
Quote:
a friend once described them as 'no skill, just fill'
Well that's one of those, 'easy to say' less easy to justify sayings. IMO it is utter bollocks.
The brolly is a fantastically versatile diffuser you can by them for peanuts carry them anywhere and rubber band them to any remote flash. et voila! soft shadow edges instead of hard ones (use number one).
My image was taken in a hurry. I needed a 'look', in a tight space... I got it. I knew exactly what I was doing, I got what I wanted and she was delighted.
Later in the week I took an industrial air conditioning duct, cut it to 1.5 feet and attached it to a studio head to create very large snoot, which I fired across a room onto a rugged fellow to create a more defined and masculine look. Umbrella stayed in the bag, but I didn't feel the need to write a blog about it, or invent a stupid one liner.
Bit defensive are we? If you wrote a blog about it perhaps we'd all learn something?

Comment by Critical-i posted on Why I HATE Umbrella Lighting... at 22/07/2009 - 02:17

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo