bretti_kivi

Joined: 13th May 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

bretti_kivi
.. anyone got one and want to make any comments? I need a really high stand or tripod and this caught my eye, rather than buying a radio antenna mast. I probably won't get the really huge one, just the 4m version.

Any thoughts?

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on manfrotto 269 at 22/01/2010 - 08:11

bretti_kivi
A lens is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If it's been bought and the new owner is happy, where's the issue?
I know I probably overpaid for my 85. I don't care, it's a great lens.

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on My eBay score for this month at 22/01/2010 - 08:09

bretti_kivi
yeah, well, that implies the amount of light is minimal and they're overpowering the LEDs. That might also lead to colour inconsistency.... your call

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on LED Ring Lights at 22/01/2010 - 06:33

bretti_kivi
it won't, unfortunately, solve the problem completely, though it does improve it.

If you know you're working at 5600K - which is where I want to be, most of the time - then you can get a pretty good WB. However, not all of the colours will be represented properly IMO. I'd have to try (I have a cree Q3 5600K neutral white here, waiting to go into the kitchen) and see what happens.

This one's quite interesting: http://www.coolon.com.au/download/ColourMixing.pdf

- and there's no way you're going to get binned 5mm LEDs. I was going to do something with 7 K2 Leds - red, red-orange, amber, green, cyan, blue and royalblue - to try and simulate very high CRI (color rendering index) but have been distracted with more important stuff.

Another link: http://www.crcc.cnrs.fr/IMG/pdf/DiodesElectroLuminescentes_AIC2005_Vienot-Mahler...

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on LED Ring Lights at 21/01/2010 - 20:39

bretti_kivi
look at page 5 of this: http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf

That dip represents no light falling on your subject.

Demo: three shots; one auto WB, another Tungsten and another with an MJ-Drop-in for Maglite 2AA (which has been machined but nothing else), so it's a standard Nichia 60mA superflux white LED.

I'll let you guess which is which. The pens are Shinhan Touch markers.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image


Processing in camera, no GIMP or UFRaw.

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on LED Ring Lights at 21/01/2010 - 19:31

bretti_kivi
I have a pair of EF-500s. I don't want to pick up 2 additional Lumopros and then juggle 16 AAs to get the output of a Dlite4. (guide numbers of 18+18+18+18 vs. 64 for a Dlite4). Maybe that's the only way to go, though....Bowens, I found out yesterday, do not recommend using Geminis in cold conditions at all.

I will try and call Elinchrom in Switzerland today and find out their comments, as there's a decent deal available on a d-lite2+4 kit at several UK dealers.

The better beamer doesn't really do what I want; I'm looking to freeze action during a long exposure and my tests with the Sigmas have also not been very successful. Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong?

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on Elinchrom / Bowens 200-400W/s heads at 21/01/2010 - 06:41

bretti_kivi
wrong light colour, too; there's no deep red available. If there was, I'd already be using LEDs not flashes...

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on LED Ring Lights at 21/01/2010 - 06:34

bretti_kivi
... anyone used these and has comments? Present rate of progress I'm going to be building a stand of snow instead of buying a tripod and using a couple of these to highlight some vehicles as they go round a corner... if they'll play ball.
Power will be coming from a Generator.

thoughts / comments?

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on Elinchrom / Bowens 200-400W/s heads at 20/01/2010 - 14:47

bretti_kivi
the 24-90 is something I've lusted after for a while, as the 28-70 isn't really wide enough on crop for my taste. Kris, if you're interested, LMK. Price wise we're talking less than fifty quid. Matt, I'd be very interested to hear about the 24-90... great indoor lens.

Bret

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on full frame zoom at 20/01/2010 - 14:39

bretti_kivi
withdrawn from sale.

Comment by bretti_kivi posted on ForSale: K10D+kitlens +grip at 20/01/2010 - 08:05

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo