arto

Joined: 21st August 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

arto
Quote:

Can you be more specific about what you're seeing?
If you look at the Royal Seal on the Martini bottle (RAW capture, top crop), you will see there are gaps in the swashes (letter curlicues) on both left and right, and the general character of the lines on the graphic is very rough and somehow "digital" as if there are misplaced pixels there, especially compared to the Canon and Nikon examples. I have seen this very same effect on other K10D images that contain similar details (package labeling, printed letters etc).

Now look at the jagged undersides of the paperclips in the ISO100 jpeg examples, and the moire in the same place on the RAW capture. These seem to correspond to the anti-aliasing issue raised in the Photozone review http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/dslr/pentax_k10d/index.html).

I'm sorry, I can't be any more specific than that, but it seems obvious to me.

Cheers

Peter

Comment by arto posted on IQ fix in K10D Firmware update? at 29/08/2007 - 12:55

arto
I take your point, although I don't believe there is any deliberate manipulation of the image there - I have seen the very same artifacts in other images, some produced by amateurs, and the phenomenon has been discussed elsewhere as mentioned in my original post. And besides, DPReview politely declined to mention the IQ problems in the K10D RAW capture, glaring though they appear to be.

This appears to be a known issue. I just want to know whether it has been addressed.

Comment by arto posted on IQ fix in K10D Firmware update? at 29/08/2007 - 12:47

arto
Thanks - that was quick. So, as I understand your reply, the obvious flaws in DPReview's RAW sample (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10D/page22.asp, eg top crop, see gaps in the swashes at left and right and general roughness) are faults in the RAW conversion? Just to play devil's advocate for a second, if that is so, wouldn't the same faults be evident in ALL the DPReview RAW captures?

Comment by arto posted on IQ fix in K10D Firmware update? at 29/08/2007 - 12:28

arto
Hi, I'm looking at buying a K10D - my first digital, and first SLR since my beloved old ME Super .

I love the look, feel, and feature set of the K10D, but after doing the usual internet scouring I have come to the conclusion that there is a flaw in the camera's image quality - specifically, a kind of jaggedness on straight edges that is visible in some of the shots on DPReview (both RAW and JPeg - see the Royal Seal on the Martini bottle in the RAW test shot, and the edges on some of the paperclips, esp. in the Jpeg) and elsewhere. Most importantly, this is not present in comparison shots from other cameras in this class.

I understand from reading (here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/dslr/pentax_k10d/index.html) that this is to do with the camera's (lack of) vertical anti-aliasing. My question is, have the firmware updates resolved this or is it still an issue? This could be a deal breaker for me as the effect is very digital and not at all the smooth, film-like appearance the K10D is said to have.

Thanks for any help, and apologies if I've misinterpreted anything

Peter

Comment by arto posted on IQ fix in K10D Firmware update? at 29/08/2007 - 11:42

arto
Thanks. Maybe I'll wait and see if Sigma changes its mind about releasing the macro flash for Pentax ...

... and keep an eye on Ebay ...

Comment by arto posted on Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash at 24/08/2007 - 09:37

arto
Hi - first time poster here.
I am wondering what kind of damage I could do if I used a Canon or Nikon-specific flash (such as the Sigma macro unit) on the K10D. Is there any workaround? I don't mind using the flash in manual mode ...

Comment by arto posted on Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash at 24/08/2007 - 00:24

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo