andymat

Joined: 26th September 2012

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

andymat
I notice that the morning swans image from MichaelBlue (I think) has gone missing! Where did it go? It was a really lovely photo.

Comment by andymat posted on Monthly competition - Morning at 26/04/2017 - 08:59

andymat
1stEverPentax wrote:
Some great shots there George. I particularly like the clouds and wide expansive composition in nos 1 and 8
where the motorcycles are almost an incidental element of the image...very original.
Agreed. I just love 1. with the clouds and the lighting on the riders. Wonderful composition too! Fab.

Comment by andymat posted on BSB (+ support) Donington Park at 03/04/2017 - 22:09

andymat
Vic, I suspect, although I don't know, that there is one slot in the main body. If you look on the Japanese pictures in the link on JAK's first post in this thread - 3rd post - at the bottom it shows a card in the optional battery grip so I would think there is only one in the main body.

One thing I notice from the spec on the SRS website is that it uses the smaller battery - D-LI109, which is used on the K-r, the K-x, K-30 etc rather than the larger one used on the K-5, K-3, K-1(?). I wonder if that is a better indication of which market it is aimed?

Comment by andymat posted on New 'KP' more of a K5/K3 than an entry model at 26/01/2017 - 08:19

andymat
The crispness and detail in that first train picture is really good. No doubt it has something to do with the photographer and not just the lens!

Comment by andymat posted on The new D FA* 70-200 zoom at Beamish at 03/01/2017 - 16:37

andymat
Wow just seen these and they are great. Really sharp. I would be very happy with these.

Comment by andymat posted on My Third Kingfisher shot at 23/12/2016 - 21:00

andymat
Interesting post.

On Flickr, I like your B&W of Manhattan and then Machrie Moor close to one another - great contrast/similarity.

Do enjoy your pictures. Here's to many more.

Comment by andymat posted on 1000th Post at 14/12/2016 - 09:27

andymat
Great to get a picture of a Bittern - they are so shy! Likewise the Snipe.

And I am looking at your pictures of the Kingfisher with interest - I see you have more on Flickr. Very nice. Having a similar set up, it is really useful to see your camera settings.

Thanks for posting.

Comment by andymat posted on A bittern etc. at 12/12/2016 - 09:37

andymat
Quote:
Excellent images, we're these on an APSC or FF camera please ?
Chris, they were taken using my K5II bought through this forum. So APSC. I do wonder if more pixels would enable me to crop more - say K3II and possibly be sharper with no anti-aliasing filter but having just blown all my money on the lens, a new camera will have to wait!

And thanks everyone for your comments. I honestly think I was very lucky to have such a patient subject though. And he sat still while looking for the fish. So I cannot claim any real skill. I don't think they are sharp as they could be - perhaps I should have used a slightly smaller aperture (?) - it was fully open at f5.6 if I remember.

Comment by andymat posted on More Kingfisher photos - sorry! at 05/12/2016 - 22:58

andymat
I had a look in the gallery and both Tomkeet and Michaelblue have recently posted spectacular images of kingfishers so I apologise in advance!

I have just got a new 150-450 lens and today was the first time I could get out to try it out. I have to say, I'm not used to having to lug about a lens as big as this - it's not for general walkabout photography. I went to Low Barns in Witton-Le-Wear, County Durham and had the first three out of 4 hides to myself. Which was just as well as setting up the tripod and attaching the lens to it (rather than the camera) was another first for me.

The first 3 hides also didn't reveal much either. I managed to get a Moorhen, a few black headed gulls without their black heads and a fence post with barbed wire - test shots you understand. The day has been dull in the North East and there wasn't much light.

I went into the last hide and there was a Kingfisher on a perch. Wow - I had to try and erect the tripod and assemble all this new stuff as quick as I could, and this is what I got.

Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


I struggled a bit and found I had to manually tweak the focus but I'm generally please with these. What do you think?

Comment by andymat posted on More Kingfisher photos - sorry! at 04/12/2016 - 18:35

andymat
Really nice to see two favourite photography subjects. Great cars and fantastic scenery. Sorry to hear about your wheel problems (and leg problems for that matter).

Hope it's not too long before we see more of your shots.

Comment by andymat posted on Contrasting activities on Mull at 25/10/2016 - 09:37

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo