amilner

Joined: 17th May 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

amilner
I agree - I myself have the SMC 24 2.8. Though it is rare(ish) I happened to notice it in the window of the local LCE a few years back for a vaguely sensible price. Tend to use it on manual bodies (currently reduced to an MX) and have not really used many of the manual lenses on the digital body. Just lazy I guess.

Another lens worth keeping an eye out for is the SMC M 35 2.0 - effectively a fairly fast standard lens on the digital bodies. going rate second hand is around £120.

Comment by amilner posted on Oh boy! Pentax M 50mm F/1.4 ! at 20/06/2005 - 22:45

amilner
No such think as an M series 24mm lens - only K or A series and both are quite pricey as they are relatively scarce. Plenty of 28mm lenses though - many reckon the 28/3.5 to be the sharpest - and it is also usually cheapest because of the relatively slow speed.

Comment by amilner posted on Oh boy! Pentax M 50mm F/1.4 ! at 20/06/2005 - 17:50

amilner
As I have the 360 FGZ and a 280T (and the little mini manual slave) the 400FTZ is one more than I need really.

Comment by amilner posted on eBay Bargain at 25/03/2005 - 19:44

amilner
Talking of bargins - just won an auction for an SF7 an AF400FTZ, a SMC F 35-135 an ever ready case and a cable release for a shade under £54.

I only really wanted the lens (nice partner to my new 16-45 on the *ist DS) so the rest will be back on ebay is individual lots before long (might play with them first)

Comment by amilner posted on eBay Bargain at 25/03/2005 - 13:46

amilner
If you have a digital SLR of a couple of cheap halogen desk lamps and the appropriate white balance settings (and a good tripod of course) will make a pretty versatile tabletop studio - epscially if you get lamps with dimmers on (though dimmers can alter colour teperature so double check white balance)

Alternatively there is a Vivitar ringflash for pentax AF bodies for only about £80 new

Comment by amilner posted on bellows and extension tubes at 25/03/2005 - 09:29

amilner
Just noticed the Kiron 28/2 on ebay - going in 6 hours....
Currently £16
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15240&item=7501273083&rd=1

Comment by amilner posted on Problens, what problens ? Bring me solutions not problens ! at 23/03/2005 - 12:33

amilner
Second hand dealers that usually have a fair stock of Pentax stuff are

http://www.ffordes.com
http://www.mxv.co.uk

Comment by amilner posted on Problens, what problens ? Bring me solutions not problens ! at 22/03/2005 - 17:46

amilner
Decided to get the 16-45 DA in the end - £300 from Park Cameras. The main reasons for this were reputation and the wide angle capability. I decided that these were worth the extra money despite the extra bulk.

Off to the Lakes next week so it will get a good testing!!

Comment by amilner posted on which digital zoom? at 22/03/2005 - 17:49

amilner
PS

As I have the M 40/2.8 and the F 50/1.4 the DA 40 2.8 is not a temptation at all - but the 12-24 DA... but then again there is the issue of my bank account!!

Comment by amilner posted on which digital zoom? at 22/03/2005 - 10:26

amilner
Thanks - I have the latest 28-105 which is a fine sharp compact lens but I want something considerably wider. The 24-90 is still only equivalent to about 37mm at the wide end.

I've generally had good experience with third party glass in 35mm format though the only one I've used to any extent with the DS is the Cosina 19-35. Mostly I tend to carry the 28-105 and pocket my M 20/4 for wide angle shots which is not a bad compromise. I'm thinking that the 18-55 might be the best choice - paired with either the 28-105 for that extra reach or the (Sigma) 70-300 if I am after wildlife.

The Cosina isn't bad and certainly was fine for A4 from 35mm but for any serious landcape photography it suffers from a rotating fron element which makes using polarisers and ND grads awkward. Had a Tamron 24-135 for a while - nice sharp versatile lens but heavy and bulky - not a very good balance on my MZ6. I bought the 28-105 to replace it (Ffordes were selling them at the knock down price of £130 new). My 'perfect' digital lens would be 16-80 or thereabouts.

Comment by amilner posted on which digital zoom? at 22/03/2005 - 10:23

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo