amilner

Joined: 17th May 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

amilner
OK I'm convinced. My little lens sale did better than I expected so I have a bit to spare. Now to trawl the internet for prices (avoiding Pixmania it seems...)

Comment by amilner posted on Opinions on Optio W20? at 15/01/2007 - 23:20

amilner
I'm considering getting an Optio W20 for occasions when light weight and/or foul weather make me reluctant to cart an SLR up a mountain or on a trek.

Has anybody any experience of this (or even the W10 or WPi) - will I get decent A4 photos out of it?

Comment by amilner posted on Opinions on Optio W20? at 15/01/2007 - 14:42

amilner
But...

They are listed as D-FA which means I think they are backward compatible with the film cameras. Which means mechanical AF. Perhaps even a switch on the lens to switch between the two modes (withdraw mechanical link - engage AF motor...) Should have an aperture ring too...

Comment by amilner posted on New Lens Info!! at 12/01/2007 - 09:20

amilner
I've not really used my user mode yet - but it seemed to me that it would be best to set it up for landscape work (my first love, as it were), then if I see a beautiful scene and want to grab a shot I just switch to user & it will be OK. And even in more considered moments I can switch to user and then tweak settings if I want to, knowing the rest is in place no matter how much I have messed with the settings previously.

So it is set at 200ASA (you don't lose much and it alows a smaller aperture for greater DOF) aperture priority, DNG+JPG with the JPG settings as bright and +1 sharpening (might as well have the JPGs punchy "out of the box" as I always have the RAW file to play with) WB set to cloudy (equivalent of puting a warm-up filter on - again this only affects the JPGs)

Now all we need is a bit of passable weather....

Comment by amilner posted on Whats on your "User" mode? at 10/01/2007 - 11:58

amilner
The Sigma EM140 DG ring flash is supposed to support P-TTL. That would apear to be the only option for automated ring flash on the K10D. I have the cheap Vivitar ring flash which will only work in manual with the K10D. But with a couple of tests shots and a glance at the histogram there is no real problem with this.

Comment by amilner posted on Pentax ring flash,100 macro lens and K10 at 07/01/2007 - 17:56

amilner
My DS is now on permanent loan to my sister-in-law who was using an MZ50. However she is still obseesed with photographing her children (aka my nephews). While it is not in my camera bag as a second body (either the Super A or the MZ6can fulfil that role) at least it is technically recoverable. I'm slightly more dubious about loaning her the 18-55 - I have the 16-45 but that is a pain if you want to take wide angle snapshots with flash at a moments notice. I have to dig out the external flash and then the moment is gone.... But without the 18-55 she only has the FA 28-80 (and a cheap secondhand Sigma 70-200) which is a bit limiting fron her POV.

Comment by amilner posted on Spare body or spare cash? at 07/01/2007 - 00:05

amilner
There is something somewhere in the K10D manual which warns that the readings on the screen of the AF 360FGZ are a bit odd when working with digital cameras - probably because it is a relatively old (pre-digital) flashgun (it was developed for the MZS when Pentax were planning a full frame digital SLR after all). However it gets the zooming right. Just ignore the display!!!

Comment by amilner posted on AF360FGZ...is it me or...? at 07/01/2007 - 00:16

amilner
Comes of using the "sell a similar item" option and not checking I have changed all the right bits properly...

I've now put the correct picture on. Unfortunately as bidding has started I cannot remove the eroneous picture.

Comment by amilner posted on Offloading manual lenses at 04/01/2007 - 11:28

amilner
I hope I am not causing offence by putting an 'ad' here but I have decided to offload a few fairly rare, cherished but largely unused lenses to offset my K10D purchase - they are on ebay and my user ID there is tony.milner.

I hope they go to someone who will use them a bit more!

Comment by amilner posted on Offloading manual lenses at 03/01/2007 - 22:50

amilner
Actually a fungus affected lens is unlikely to infect other lenses as it is very unlikely to grow to the point of fruiting and spreading spores. The atmosphere is full of fungal spores in any case - the chief cause of fungus on lenses is inapropriate storage. If they are sealed in boxes it can create the kind of damp climate that allows the spores to grow. Oddly, one of the worst places to store a lens from this POV are the plush lined leather cases that were provided with older Pentax lenses!

http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/

Comment by amilner posted on Fungus on SMC-FA 80-320 at 04/01/2007 - 17:00

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo