almierau

Joined: 22nd November 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

almierau
Just wondering if you ever got a mirror lens. I purchased a 350mm Tamron mirror back around 1987 for specifically photographing damaged roof structures. It works well with the k10 and is also good for macro work if on a tripod. I have some test images over here
http://mierau.ca/lens1.html



quote="Darkmunk"]I've noticed these can be had quite cheaply, are mirror lenses any good? will this Centor work on my K10?
I remember my dad telling me about them but I haven't heard anything since.
If I remember correctly they are good for moon shots (or similar) but have a strange bokeh.[/quote]

Comment by almierau posted on mirror lenses Centon 500 - f8??? at 23/01/2008 - 22:04

almierau
thanks.

Al



Quote:
Well, it arrived at the shop this morning, and SDM most definately works through it, but 1st impressions are that it does take longer to lock on to target.

Will test it more over the weekend and give you a better impression.

Model number seems to be :- Tamron TA14XPAF / AF14700 if it helps.

Comment by almierau posted on Teleconverters at 01/02/2008 - 12:17

almierau
let me know how it works out for you as I always have new students asking .

al



Quote:
I've just ordered a Tamron 1.4x converter with, what I am lead to believe from another forum, a pass through for the SDM connections which works fine. Will find out when it arrives, and let you know.

Also, noticed in the (German) K20D manual that Pentax are listing 5 different tele-converters in there, who knows what is in the pipeline!?

Comment by almierau posted on Teleconverters at 23/01/2008 - 23:54

almierau
I have been using a Tamron 2x Pz-AF with a variety of Sigma and Pentax lenses with decent results all the way to 1200 equivalent mm. While not as sharp as a dedicated lens in that range, the cost is certainly lower. I took my camera and lenses to a local pro shop and tested this out before purchasing the Tamron.

Comment by almierau posted on Teleconverters at 23/01/2008 - 19:45

almierau
no problem. So do you use HS flash very often?

al

Quote:
I'm a little confused as I don't have contrast control under my Fn menu - just flash compensation...

I think it's safe to say I have nothing else to offer - mine works fine and the only other thing I can think of is after you change the flash to HSS you need to half press the shutter button; this makes the camera and flash talk to each other and presumably lets the camera know that speeds faster than 1/180 can be selected.

If this doesn't work then I'm all out of ideas I'm afraid!

Comment by almierau posted on K10D & AF360FGZ Questions at 25/11/2007 - 22:20

almierau
Nope, not a thing. I notice in the fn menu there is a setting for contrast control, that does not make any change in the external flash display either. I even tried a true blue Pentax lens. zip.

Even in manual on the camera, the best I can crank up is 180th of a second, plus any f stop,
in some of the other modes 1/60th of a second is the best that can be set up.

By the way, I had exactly the same issue with the *isD, when everything was brand new.

I find for studio work that using the X control, and setting the shutter speed to 1/180th second, and the f stop to f8 to f11 gives me the best results. I also have quite a few twist flourescent tubes in spot housing. Time to get a umbrella strobe unit down the road. Would make life a little bit simpler, maybe. lol

So wonder why I can crank in a higher number than 1/180th second do you think.


Just mounted that flash on my mz-6 film body. Soon as you turn on the flash, the shutter speed gets fixed to 1/125th of a second.

And you can't move it. Unless you turn off the flash of course.



Al


Quote:
The shooting mode of the camera shouldn't make any difference, however, the flash mode will. Make sure that the flash is set to the first icon (on the left) from the K10D's "Fn" menu.

Remember, the built in flash isn't capable of HSS so if you've left it set to wireless mode then the K10D won't go above 1/180 (as far as it's concerned it can't wirelessly control anything faster than 1/180 so it won't allow such speeds to be selected).

Does this get you any closer to making it work?

Comment by almierau posted on K10D & AF360FGZ Questions at 25/11/2007 - 21:49

almierau
ok, what mode are you on , on your camera I mean. I can't get a speed higher than 1/180th second, no matter how hard I try, even in manual.
Unless of course there has to be something in the setup somewhere that allows that, but I sure can't seem to find it.

Very interesting.

Al


Quote:
Actually, I thought I'd try my 360 and noticed (for the first time) that the HS icon doesn't light up on mine when you switch it to HS mode either - it only appears when the 360 is switched to HS *AND* the shutter speed on the camera is set to a value faster than 1/180sec. As the shutter speed goes past the 1/180sec mark you can see the HS icon on the flash disappear again (which makes sense as speeds below 1/180sec are not "high".

Maybe yours does work after all?

Comment by almierau posted on K10D & AF360FGZ Questions at 25/11/2007 - 21:24

almierau
Should the AF360 not work on HS when the flash is mounted right on the camera?
When I move that switch (#3 in the book) there is no change on the display.. I also get no contrast-control syn flash indication either. It's always been like this , so perhaps this is a bum unit, and since it is over 12 months old, no sense fighting over warranty. In any case it is probably a feature I would never use in any case.

I have a 1987/87 Pentax flash, AF280T, and many times I can get better results with that older flash unit than with the new one.



HSS will work when the 360 is attached to the camera and it will work wirelessly if you have a pair of 360's (or a 360/540 combo) with one working as master and one as slave. Unfortunately, it won't work wirelessly with the pop-up flash (acting as master) as the pop-up flash is not compatible with HSS itself. The K10D manual is very vague on all this as it was written before the firmware update allowing any form of wireless operation using the pop-up flash.

Comment by almierau posted on K10D & AF360FGZ Questions at 23/11/2007 - 12:47

almierau
Thanks Hefty.

Yes, you sent me on the right track. My firmware was v1.0. So I downloaded the 1.30 firmware version, installed it, and all I have to do on the K10 is hit the "fn" button, select the wireless there, and bingo, it all worked. Don't even have to go to custom menu.

Aside from that I do have an issue with that AF-360FGZ,,,,I don't get any change on the lcd display when I set it to HS, and the best I can crank in on shutter speed is 180second. I also find that operating the K10 in X mode, produces the best results, when the flash is mounted on the camera.

Also, I should not have traded in my *isD that was great for infrared work. The k10 is not cut out for that work at all so I invested in an older model Nikon Coolpix that does a great job.

I've gone through lots of pentax units since 1964 and used them for 30 years in my profession. I have a good selection of Sigma lenses and use a f2.8 rated sigma for indoor soccer shoots.

I just found this bbs board here today, similar set up and layout as my private bbs board for my photography students.

Looks like a great group of guys in here,,,,and I certainly appreciate the fast response I got.

By the way, I have the extra battery grip for the K10, and yeah, you best work out in the gym first if you are going to tote all this gear around. lol

Al in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan


Quote:
On page 6 of the K10D's "Custom" menu you'll find an option labelled, "Flash in Wireless Mode". Option 1 allows you to use the pop-up as master, option 2 as commander.

If you don't have this menu item on your K10D it's because you're running an older version of the firmware - there are plenty of threads on here regarding updating so I won't repeat it all again...

Good luck!

Comment by almierau posted on K10D & AF360FGZ Questions at 22/11/2007 - 23:46

almierau
I'm having the same issue here guys.
I had my 360 flash figured out on the *isd to handle wireless but can't seem to trigger it on the K10.

How do you set the popup flash to "wirelss master or control" on the K10. That's about the only thing I think I might be missing here.

Thanks.




quote="Mannesty"]Set the popup flash to wireless master or control (master contributes light to the composition, control does not).
Set the flash to Wireless Slave mode 1 (mode 2 is dumb slave) by pressing and holding the Light button.

Comment by almierau posted on K10D & AF360FGZ Questions at 22/11/2007 - 22:17

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo