ZX-5 shutter/advance issue HELP!

marktbaldridge

Link Posted 14/03/2016 - 02:56
I'm new to the form, so hey everyone!

After developing my own B/W film at home, I was gifted a ZX-5 by a friend who no longer used it.

I read through the manual, and I think I know how it should work. But I am having this issue with the camera where the shutter does not seem to move, and the film keeps advancing.

I am only pushing the shutter button far enough to activate the autofocus. But the camera is going crazy!

Check out the video of the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKGGfl35KU
(Just uploaded, should be available shortly.)

I feel like the camera was taken very good care of, but I'm just not sure what's going on!

Thanks for any input! Love'n film photography!

~Mark

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 14/03/2016 - 15:36
What's going on is a well-known fault with a lot of the MZ- / ZX- series.
A little plastic cog has given up the ghost and a repair is more than the camera is worth.
My MZ-50 died in exactly the same way.
I nearly bought a replacement body from Kree on this forum, which had the cog replaced with a metal one.
He may still have it if you want to go down that road.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

womble

Link Posted 14/03/2016 - 15:37
My limited experience of the MZ/ZX series is that they are prone to electronic and mechanical failure, especially the nylon cog/drive system which regularly fails. It probably isn't now possible to get parts, and would cost more than the camera is worth to repair.

Older, more (or entirely) mechanical cameras are generally more reliable and easier to get fixed when they go wrong. I suspect my SV will still be going strong long after the vast majority of the newer electronic whizz-bang cameras are pushing up the daisies.

Sorry. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

marktbaldridge

Link Posted 14/03/2016 - 18:11
Thanks guys for the input.

That is somewhat sad to hear though.

I found this part on eBay, and ordered it. I'm not putting anything more into the camera if I can't fix it myself. I've had a bit of experience repairing phones so I'm not bad with small parts.

[link=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/111835149059 ]https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/111835149059 [/link]

I'll update if I am able to do the repair. Thanks so much for the input!

marktbaldridge

Link Posted 20/03/2016 - 03:57
Well, I *think* it is all repaired and working! It was a 3 day process, and I finally got it all back together!

That was the worst (most complicated) thing I've ever had to repair.

It makes all the right noises, and appears to be functional, I guess the real test will be to develop some film!

Only thing that I'm not sure about is, the automatic aperture seems to not be working. When I set the lens to a manual f-stop, the camera will take a picture.

But it doesn't seem to be automatically opening up the aperture for my somewhat dark currently indoor setting. (When I have the lens set on A.)

Any thoughts? I didn't really get a chance to play with the camera before the repair, so I'm not sure if this is normal.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.