Got some slide film. Which body would be best?

Jetsam1

Link Posted 19/02/2016 - 17:12
Found some AGFA Prescia slide film in a Boots equivalent in the city. I have the choice of a Spotmatic F, a Super A or a P30T. The Super A and the P30T can share the M28 3.5, M 135, M50 1.7 and a K55 1.8. So a few choices. Haven't used slide film before and it was a frankly impulse purchase just because it was there. It is brand new and well in date!

THe P30t is the only one not to actually have a film in it, but I am prepared to wait it out..........
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

womble

Link Posted 19/02/2016 - 17:19
Doesn't really matter although it sounds like you have more choice of lenses in K-mount rather than M42. Just be aware that slide film is very fussy about exposure so be careful with your metering.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Jetsam1

Link Posted 19/02/2016 - 17:47
womble wrote:
Doesn't really matter although it sounds like you have more choice of lenses in K-mount rather than M42. Just be aware that slide film is very fussy about exposure so be careful with your metering.

K.

Just wondering whether the Super A or the P30t is more likely to be more accurate? THe P30t was a more budget model? I know the Super A was the top at the time aside from the LX. Maybe there's the impetus to finish that Ilford off! I'm back in the UK next month for a couple of weeks so thought it would be a nice diversion/experiment!

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 19/02/2016 - 19:23
womble wrote:

K.

It is indeed. I always used to deliberately underexpose slide film by about half a stop: it has very little latitude and, of course, there's no such thing as post-production... Meter for the highlights, as washed-out skies etc. look terrible.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

doingthebobs

Link Posted 19/02/2016 - 20:42
SuperA always worked for me.
As Andrew said, half a stop under expose seemed to work for me.
Bob

pointandshoot

Link Posted 13/03/2016 - 23:54
doingthebobs wrote:
SuperA always worked for me.
As Andrew said, half a stop under expose seemed to work for me.

yep, Super-A wins hands down for me. I love'm and the metering's never given me trouble.

Super-A, LX, K100d

Jetsam1

Link Posted 14/03/2016 - 08:36
Well, Super A works for me! Just need that B+W film finished now........

Cuchulainn

Link Posted 18/03/2016 - 15:23
I've shot quite a lot of slide on my super a over the last few years and it's always done the trick nicely.

johnriley

Link Posted 18/03/2016 - 17:01
Unlike digital, with film the camera body doesn't really have any effect on the quality of the results. Provided it's a precision made one anyway, but all Pentax models will be fine.
Best regards, John

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 18/03/2016 - 22:08
johnriley wrote:
Unlike digital, with film the camera body doesn't really have any effect on the quality of the results. Provided it's a precision made one anyway, but all Pentax models will be fine.

Indeed. Presuming you apply your exposure meter readings wisely your slides should turn out fine.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!
Last Edited by ChrisPlatt on 18/03/2016 - 22:08

davidwozhere

Link Posted 19/03/2016 - 01:20
I think I would go so far as to get the Weston exposure meter out for slides (it still works perfectly). That way, you can have the entire range looking at you and you can fiddle about with the values too. And half a stop under usually does wonders, producing deep vibrant colours.
When I started work, I saved up for an Exa IIb and a Weston - happy days
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.