Zooms or Primes

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

Dangermouse

Link Posted 18/03/2011 - 13:40
I'd still like to see something like a DA 135mm f3.5 priced at a similar level to the DA 35mm f2.4 and with similar image quality. I suspect part of the reason for the 35mm being cheap is that it reused an existing lens design, so little development was needed beyond some testing to make sure it had survived the changes. They must still have the design for the old Pentax-F 135mm which could be updated?

I guess my real wish for a cheap DA 135mm with the same physical dimensions and performance as the old M series lens is not likely to be granted!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Still27

Link Posted 22/03/2011 - 21:11
I Think it is a case of convenience V Quality unless you have the Cash.
I started of with Pentax DA 16-45 + 50-200 Zoom. then sold these for the convenience of the DA 18-250. Then I bought a smc Pentax-A 135mm PRIME and was blown away by the difference in IQ so started to think to get good IQ you need Prime lenses. having collected a nice set of smc A and M primes I read on this forum how good the *50-135* was and managed to WIN one on eBay,
I found the IQ at 135mm matched the 135 prime and at 50mm almost matched the 50mm f1.7 Prime. It was then obvious to me that the cheap zooms are not worth putting on a K20D. In other words there are Zooms and Great Zooms, you just need to spend more cash.(or win one on eBay)
Bill
K5+Bigma+BushHawk Shoulderpod.
K5+16-50DA* + 10-17DA Fisheye + 50-135DA* + Sigma 70mm Macro + DA35 2.4..
Slik Pro 700DX tripod.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixellie/

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/03/2011 - 21:20
Dangermouse wrote:
I suspect part of the reason for the 35mm being cheap is that it reused an existing lens design, so little development was needed beyond some testing to make sure it had survived the changes. They must still have the design for the old Pentax-F 135mm which could be updated?

In that case I wan a plastic mounted version of the FA* 200mm macro for under 300 and I will buy a cheap hood off Ebay.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Dangermouse

Link Posted 22/03/2011 - 21:27
I keep being told to buy something like a Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Thing is, I don't actually want one. I find my 35mm f2.4 works incredibly well for normal stuff and if it's a case of spending money on something wider I'd rather have the Samyang 14mm with its ability to double as a fisheye on my film bodies. Primes are generally much smaller and lighter than zooms, both of which appeal when you're walking around a city centre.

I'm still amazed Pentax don't make a DA 28mm. It would after all have much the same field of view on an APS-C camera as the 43mm Ltd, which they decided was the correct standard lens for a 35mm film camera.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 22/03/2011 - 21:54
Most used for me are one zoom, Tammy 18-250, and one prime, DA-40.

I keep the tammy on my main body and use it as a walk about, holiday, general purpose lens. The range means I can get a clear shot from most distances without having to move back or forwards.

The '40 currently lives on my K110, which actually fits into my coat pocket. As a city combo this is light and unobtrusive.

Of course I'd really like 18-500 zoom so I could just sit on a bench and watch the world go by!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

simonkit

Link Posted 22/03/2011 - 22:34
K10D wrote:
A well loaded question in the OP.

Primes in most situations. I shoot 70-200 as a virtual standard lens yet a zoom lens by default is a compromise. It removes a thought process which, in itself, negates self discipline.

A zoom lens is the modern equivalent of a disposable point and shoot.

It' the equivalent of poor comprehensive education.

Its a flexible stepladder to self discipline.

Strong point of view?

You bet.

Yes and its mine and maybe not yours.

Best regards

I have to admit that it's not mine

The thought process still needs to take place regardless of the lens used...a prime means you need to walk about more, a zoom means you need to zoom in or out more - if you fail to walk with the prime or zoom with the zoom then you'll probably end up with a poor photo in each situation.

Just my take on it

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 22/03/2011 - 22:35

pentaxian450

Link Posted 22/03/2011 - 22:55
simonkit wrote:
a zoom means you need to zoom in or out more

That's where most mistake happen. Most people use the zoom to frame the main subject, and completely forget what the background or foreground looks like. The zoom should never be used as a substitute for the proper point of view, unless there is no way to get to the proper point of view.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

K10D

Link Posted 22/03/2011 - 23:32
pentaxian450 wrote:
simonkit wrote:

That's where most mistake happen. Most people use the zoom to frame the main subject, and completely forget what the background or foreground looks like. The zoom should never be used as a substitute for the proper point of view, unless there is no way to get to the proper point of view.

Well said that man.

Best regards

rparmar

Link Posted 23/03/2011 - 00:29
Dangermouse wrote:
I'm still amazed Pentax don't make a DA 28mm. It would after all have much the same field of view on an APS-C camera as the 43mm Ltd, which they decided was the correct standard lens for a 35mm film camera.

Yeah, a lot of us have been wondering about that!
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Tyr

Link Posted 23/03/2011 - 08:31
rparmar wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:

I'd love a DA* 28 f/1.4 or something like that. Would be a perfect all occasions prime.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

simonkit

Link Posted 23/03/2011 - 09:09
pentaxian450 wrote:
simonkit wrote:

I sort of see what you're saying but it doesn't really differ from my own point which is that you need to think about composition regardless of whether you use a prime or zoom...I don't agree that one makes you think about composition more than the other

Anyway I'll be putting it to the test even more as I'm now considering selling my DA17-70 having just bought the DA35mm F2.4 & FA50mm
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 23/03/2011 - 09:11

thoughton

Link Posted 23/03/2011 - 10:05
I think they are referring to perspective, which would differ greatly depending if one zoomed with a zoom or zoomed with their feet and a prime. Perhaps not a big issue in landscape photography due to the great distances, but very important for closer-up stuff.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

gillbod

Link Posted 23/03/2011 - 16:00
thoughton wrote:
I think they are referring to perspective, which would differ greatly depending if one zoomed with a zoom or zoomed with their feet and a prime. Perhaps not a big issue in landscape photography due to the great distances, but very important for closer-up stuff.

but i think what simon is getting at is that you can also zoom with your feet if you have a zoom. just because you can zoom with your zoom, it doesn't mean that you have to...
k7, 15/4, 31/1.8, 70/2.4, 200/2.8, Metz 58

giofi

Link Posted 23/03/2011 - 20:56
Tyr wrote:
rparmar wrote:
Quote:

I'd love a DA* 28 f/1.4 or something like that. Would be a perfect all occasions prime.

How about the FA 31 ltd? Quite near to 28mm.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Stuey

Link Posted 23/03/2011 - 21:14
Hi Guys

I voted a while ago but did not get round to adding a comment so here goes.

I have 8 lenses now and only two are zooms, I personally prefer to use primes it just makes me happier with the process, the results etc but I still have a use for my zooms so whilst the answer for me is primes more than zooms, I fully understand why others will go with the zooms.

However, as the majority of my lenses tend to be in the 'not expensive' bracket I cannot comment on how DA*,F*, M* or EX zooms etc compare to their equivalent zooms but should any one wish to send me there very expensive lens collection to test over the coming years I will gladly accept this task

Perhaps then I could be in a better position to comment

Cheers

Stu.
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.