Zeiss Jena Sonnar, bubble bursting?

mowog

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 19:46
Today, I watched two Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5 lenses, sell on ebay for quite a bit less than they have been going for in recent times.
One (minty) went for 48 and another for 33. I have noticed that the price of these lenses has been falling, lately. A year ago, even quite scruffy ones were fetching 60 to 70 pounds. Most were usually bought by Chinese buyers. I guess they've had their fill now.
I'm glad I sold my mint and boxed one, for 90, last year, leaving me with a cosmetically scruffy, but optically perfect one, to keep for myself.
They are very excellent lenses, and now seemingly available at sensible prices again.
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

Algernon

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 20:05
I think a lot go to the US. I don't think they had them as retail lenses originally. They are probably spent up after Black Friday

The Russian Jupiters are sharper and cheaper
but don't have the CZ name.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 28/11/2010 - 20:06

Dangermouse

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 20:26
I might keep an eye out for one then, now I have a Spotmatic to use it on.

Which Jupiter would that be? They don't seem common in the UK and I don't fancy importing one and getting the inevitable ransom demand from Parcelfarce.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Last Edited by Dangermouse on 28/11/2010 - 20:27

Algernon

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 20:50
Dangermouse wrote:
Which Jupiter would that be? They don't seem common in the UK and I don't fancy importing one and getting the inevitable ransom demand from Parcelfarce.

Any of the 135mm f/3.5's or f/4 I think they are 11A and 37A. I've got both and compared them to the CZ and they were sharper and from f/4 both identical.

I posted some test shots (taken in the rain) in this thread.

Some nice shots on Flickriver

The sharpness and bokeh on these is impressive (Pentax K10D)

I paid about 25 each for mine and ones the Moscow Olympics Special Edition.

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 28/11/2010 - 21:02

mowog

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 21:33
Ah! Yes Algi, but the Zeiss Jena focuses to less than 3ft, is multi-coated... And has an Auto/Manual switch!
No man is worth his salt, who has not been banned from at least one Forum, and two Flickr groups.

Mowog.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 21:44
I am seriously considering a Zenit (to get hold of the Helios 58mm), at this rate I'll end up with a collection of Russian kit as well as my Pentax M42 gear!
Matt

Hardgravity

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 22:30
Try and get the 44/2 preset lens Matt, it's easier to use on a DSLR.

You should find one attached to the Zenit 11 or early EM. All 12XP models have the 44/4 lens.

When I tried selling my CZJ 135 on ebay no body wanted it, one before mine sold for 10 more and the one after for 25 more. Mine was a BIN as well!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

boeforce

Link Posted 28/11/2010 - 22:44
I got a PK mount one from ebay, but cannot lock-up on my K7. I've no idea why. Therefore I have to rotate very carefully when using it.
Regards,

Liang

Dangermouse

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 08:08
Hardgravity wrote:

You should find one attached to the Zenit 11 or early EM. All 12XP models have the 44/4 lens.

I would, but my K-m doesn't like M42 lenses at all. When you fit one to it (with genuine Pentax adapter) the results are always horribly underexposed,

I'm now using the Spotmatic and SV to play with weird and wonderful screw mount glass.
Matt

Algernon

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 12:14
Dangermouse wrote:
Hardgravity wrote:

I would, but my K-m doesn't like M42 lenses at all. When you fit one to it (with genuine Pentax adapter) the results are always horribly underexposed,

I'm now using the Spotmatic and SV to play with weird and wonderful screw mount glass.

Can't you use a manual meter Matt?

The Zenith lenses are cheap even without a camera. They do vary though so you might have to buy several.

Algi

Dangermouse

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 14:19
I could do, but that seems like a lot of fiddling about. I've got plenty of older K mount lenses so haven't bothered making the effort with M42 glass.

I also fancied one of the Zenit "Olympic" special edition bodies for my collection, hence keeping eyes open for a lens and body.
Matt

Algernon

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 14:22
mowog wrote:
Ah! Yes Algi, but the Zeiss Jena focuses to less than 3ft, is multi-coated... And has an Auto/Manual switch!

It also has a slide out lens hood. The screw on/reverse lens hood of the Jupiters can be a bit awkward, but makes a good protector

They are pretty much the same lens, big chunk of glass in the middle link

The 11A focuses to 1M the 37A to 1.2M, but often used as macros with extension tubes. Some are MC.

They don't need an A/M switch they have quite a clever one ring preset so if you set it at f/8 the ring which isn't click stopped goes between wide open and f/8 so you can still stop partway between the two. Normally you would set it to f/4.5 or f/5.6 and just focus at that. Still as much light as most zooms.

The big advantage is the 12 blade iris which is almost a circle and gives good bokeh.

Quite a bit of very unscientific babbling and some pics here

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 29/11/2010 - 14:23

alexfilipov

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 14:40
I agree with Algernon on the Jupiters, I have the Olympic version of Jupiter 37A and although it underexposes exactly 2 stops I love its colour rendition and sharpness more than the CZJ Sonnar I was considering.

Tair 11 is also a fine lens, although more rare than the Jupiter.

Algernon

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 14:43
The guy who's flickr photos I linked to earlier (now left Pentax for Leica) has put some interesting bokeh shots on the other forum link
well worth a look.

Algi

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 29/11/2010 - 19:09
Algernon wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:

Any of the 135mm f/3.5's or f/4 I think they are 11A and 37A. I've got both and compared them to the CZ and they were sharper and from f/4 both identical.

I posted some test shots (taken in the rain) in this thread.

Some nice shots on Flickriver

The sharpness and bokeh on these is impressive (Pentax K10D)

I paid about 25 each for mine and ones the Moscow Olympics Special Edition.

I've read a very good review (which I can't find now)comparing various M42 135mm and I was quite surprised when the results shown the Carl Zeiss was not that exceptional and I believe the Pentacon had the edge, which begs the question why they go for so much?
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.