Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Z-1P / AF330FTZ rear-curtain sync

Anonymous
Posted 06/11/2003 - 09:57 Link
Hi all!

Hope you can help me with this one?

I have recently purchased this camera and flash combination and have been exploring their features.

I am into cycling photography and am looking forward to taking some interesting shots using slow shutter speeds and the rear-curtain sync that both my camera body and flash offer.

My question is, if I am only using the AF330FTZ flash, is it sufficient to select rear-curtain sync on just the flashgun itself?

Do I need to select this on the camera body as well, or does this function on the camera body simply control when the built-in pop-up flash fires?

Many thanks for your help.
Happy snapping!!
Treve
MattMatic
Posted 06/11/2003 - 10:45 Link
Treve,

If you using just the AF330, all you need to do is set the mode on the flash

The flash feature on the Z1p controls the built in flash. See page 91 of your manual. If you use the popup flash in addition to the AF330 and set curtain mode, the AF330 will change modes automatically to match You really can't go far wrong!!

If you use an exposure mode other than auto, than you will only get the curtain sync if the shutter speed is less than 1/60.

Hope that clarifies things
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Anonymous
Posted 06/11/2003 - 11:15 Link
Thanks for that!

I find the Pentax manuals extremely badly written and confusing to read. I think a lot of the meaning is lost during the translation from Japanese.

For example, in page 91 of my manual it states "This mode will freeze the subject with a blur appearing before the subject under a slow shutter condition".

Surely the converse is true? I'm now starting to doubt my own understanding!

If I use a slow shutter speed, trailing sync, and a panning motion to follow a cyclist that is moving from left to right, surely the blurring effect caused by the trailing sync flash will appear AFTER (i.e. to the left of) the sharp image of the cyclist?

Please tell me I'm right?!

Ta,
Treve
MattMatic
Posted 06/11/2003 - 12:23 Link
Treve,

Your understanding of the result is correct, but your understanding of the manual is wrong

Trailing curtain sync works this way: shutter opens, delay the Tv value, flash fires, shutter closes.

Normal flash works this way: shutter opens, flash fires, delay the Tv value, shutter closes.

The net effect of curtain sync is that the blur appears before (that is before-in-time), with the sharp flash image imposed on top. Normal flash will have the sharp image first, and the blur after (effectively layered on top of the flash image, thus reducing the quality of the sharp image). Get it?!

If you pan perfectly, there'll be almost nothing in it. However, if you don't pan and time your shutter correctly you'll get a blur of cyclist with a sharp image as the last thing (ie blur before, time-wise). It could be tricky timing it since you'll have to judge the finish point

Hope that clarifies things
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Anonymous
Posted 06/11/2003 - 13:28 Link
... I think it's a case of "the proof of the pudding is in the tasting"!!
I reckon I should just get out there & try these things.
Then, the penny might finally drop!!
Thanks for your patience!
Treve

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.