Wooden tripod

womble

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 06:13
The super telephotos like the SMC K 1000mm f/8 are listed in the catalogues of the time as coming with a wooden tripod. Has anyone ever seen one of these? Are there any photos on the web? I am just curious as I have never seen one and haven't had much luck finding an image of one via google.

Thanks, K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnriley

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 06:27
A wooden tripod, plus a huge metal case...there are images of such a beast around, but I wouldn't like to say where. Perhaps one of the books on Pentax.
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 09:54
I think there is a picture in the Pentax lens catalogues, I'll see if I can dig one out.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gregmoll

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 11:17
johnriley wrote:
A wooden tripod, plus a huge metal case...there are images of such a beast around, but I wouldn't like to say where. Perhaps one of the books on Pentax.

Did the tripod have it's own separate case or are you referring the the case which held the lens.

Greg

johnriley

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 14:28
I was referring to the case that held the lens. I'm not sure if the tripod fitted into that as well or whether it had its own case.
Best regards, John

petrochemist

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 15:23
I think I remember seeing an on-line photo of the case, which didn't have room for a tripod.
I've eventually found my Pentax Collectors guide and have been trawling through it - unfortunately it's pictures are almost exclusively the cameras, and the K series 1000mm f8 is listed without any further information.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].FlickrWPFPanoramio

Algernon

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:32
I'm sure that there's someone on this forum with a Pentax
1000mm he posted some photos a few months back from either
Australia or South Africa? They were a touch on the soft side.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

gregmoll

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 19:16
Hi, I have one and Johns statement that the tripod came in a case interested me, hence the question.

Here is the lens case

Some photos can be seen at link
Greg

Algernon

Link Posted 20/11/2010 - 19:36
Hell of a lens Greg It's a pity we can't find a picture
of the tripod and what type of head it came with. Looks like
it might have been sold separately. I've seen a few of the
lenses, but never the tripod. Wooden tripods are the best
for absorbing vibrations, but nothings going to hold that
monster in the wind

Edit: One shown here in the museum, but no tripod:

http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00QmF2

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 20/11/2010 - 19:45

womble

Link Posted 13/12/2010 - 18:51
I'm still looking for a photo of the wooden tripod. I am beginning to suspect the tripod is rarer than the lenses they were designed to support!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Algernon

Link Posted 13/12/2010 - 19:25
Probably Death Watch Beetle

Algi

Dangermouse

Link Posted 13/12/2010 - 20:06
The accessories seem to be rarer than the actual camera or lens in many cases - take the little tripod spacer bush which was apparently provided with all M series bodies to stop certain lenses from hitting tripods, it took me ages to come across one of those!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Stuey

Link Posted 13/12/2010 - 21:21
I like the sound of the wooden tripod

Good luck with the picture but if someone could go one better and find the specs I may know a man who could/ would knock one up as an experiment
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

womble

Link Posted 13/12/2010 - 22:00
Dangermouse wrote:
The accessories seem to be rarer than the actual camera or lens in many cases - take the little tripod spacer bush which was apparently provided with all M series bodies to stop certain lenses from hitting tripods, it took me ages to come across one of those!

I don't remember those. What does it look like?

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

womble

Link Posted 13/12/2010 - 22:28
Found it! The SMC Takumar Lenses booklet available from the Pentax Manuals site has it. Looks like a total station tripod which isn't surprising given Pentax make surveying equipment too.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.