PC advice Needed

swarf

Link Posted 03/02/2018 - 16:34
I need some advice to replace my PC which has just died. I need a Windows machine and I use Lightroom 6 and Elements for processing my images. The PC will only be used for photo-editing and other domestic uses - I don't need a 'gaming' machine.

What minimum specification should I be looking at? Please don't bother suggesting Apple machines - I won't consider any Apple product.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Defragged

Link Posted 03/02/2018 - 20:44
Are you buying or building yourself? And, how much do you want to spend?

A multicore cpu, AMD or INTEL take your pick. It doesn't need to be the latest generation of cpu, a slightly older one will be better value for money and still able to run Lightroom. Going for a minumum of 16gig of ram will help your workflow as photo editing can be memory intensive especially with the bigger raw files of modern cameras. Lightroom 6 will also also make use of a graphics card where previous versions of Lightroom didn't, so factor in the cost of a dedicated graphics card if your budget allows.

An area people often overlook when building or purchasing a new PC is the screen. Considering that this is the part that you will be staring at hour after hour, it should not be an after thought or skimped on. In fact I would say a decent screen is a major priority which will enhance the user experience no end!

If you google recommendations for a photo editing PC you will find lots of links to a wealth of advice. If you are able to build your own then do so. It might not necessarily be cheaper, but at least you put in the parts of your choosing rather than accept some manufacturers generic parts and it will also give you a measure of satisfaction.

Good luck and best wishes.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

JAK

Link Posted 03/02/2018 - 22:56
Any idea why its died? It may be possible to just replace the mother board if that is the problem. A common fault is the power supply failing, again an easy fix. Hard disks are easily replaceable too.
John K

swarf

Link Posted 04/02/2018 - 10:27
Thanks for your advice. I've had a local PC 'fixer' look at it and apparently the motherboard is dead and you can't get that type any more. Also the power supply is getting a little flacky - it's an old(er) machine. He reckoned that to refurb it would be quite expensive and would still leave quite a few old components in it, so advised buying new. I wouldn't be buying of him, so it's not in his interest to point me in that direction - so I trust what he said.

However, I wanted advice from fellow photographers to see what they think as they know what matters for photo editing - so thanks for that. I will be buying new.
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

Algernon

Link Posted 04/02/2018 - 10:42
Buy an Intel CPU.... AMD are too slow for PS.

Any with under 100secs on this Benchmark will do....

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6094/16/amd-vs-intel-57-processor-megatest-benc...

It's worth getting one that doesn't have the recently reported hacking problem. Might not be on that list.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 04/02/2018 - 10:44

swarf

Link Posted 04/02/2018 - 12:48
Algi

Thanks, that's helpful.

Phil

My Flikr Page link

roberrl

Link Posted 07/02/2018 - 16:29
Also look at an SSD rather than conventional hard drive. Made a big difference to my system when I made the change.

jeallen01

Link Posted 07/02/2018 - 22:38
FWIW, here's some cautions about SSD's - from recent experience!

Fitted one to my main laptop ( AMD AM8 processor, 8GB RAM) and another to the netbook (AMD E70, 4GB) I use on WiFi - and both have shown things I never saw before:
- the main laptop keeps throwing "low memory" when quite a few IE11 browser tabs are open
- the battery on the netbook "died" very rapidly thereafter (now replaced by an old but "good" one which seems OK - so far).

Can't yet explain either, but the main laptop has a 480 GB Samsung EVO 840, and the netbook a 240 GB Sandisk one - so not "cheap" SSDs!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 07/02/2018 - 22:39

Roshni

Link Posted 08/02/2018 - 06:42
Have you searched for the reasons that why it died or what are the solutions for it? For suggestions, others PC, need to know the budget and other requirements too.
Auto Add Date Timestamp

CiderDrinker

Link Posted 08/02/2018 - 12:33
Algernon, Intel are faster when comparing older generations of CPUs, but with new Ryzen chips there isn't a lot in it now. You get quite a lot of bang for your bucks with the Ryzen 5/7 chips.

Good SSD/M.2 (Samsung etc), RAM 16Gb+ and graphics card.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1...

and if you have stupid amounts of money, try a Threadripper

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2017-1-1-CPU-Comparison-...

Algernon wrote:

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6094/16/amd-vs-intel-57-processor-megatest-benc...

It's worth getting one that doesn't have the recently reported hacking problem. Might not be on that list.

--

Digital: Pentax K-1 II + Grip, Pentax K3II + Grip, Pentax MX-1.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.
Last Edited by CiderDrinker on 08/02/2018 - 12:37

CiderDrinker

Link Posted 08/02/2018 - 13:04
Low memory maybe due to the swap/page file being disabled?

jeallen01 wrote:
FWIW, here's some cautions about SSD's - from recent experience!

Fitted one to my main laptop ( AMD AM8 processor, 8GB RAM) and another to the netbook (AMD E70, 4GB) I use on WiFi - and both have shown things I never saw before:
- the main laptop keeps throwing "low memory" when quite a few IE11 browser tabs are open
- the battery on the netbook "died" very rapidly thereafter (now replaced by an old but "good" one which seems OK - so far).

Can't yet explain either, but the main laptop has a 480 GB Samsung EVO 840, and the netbook a 240 GB Sandisk one - so not "cheap" SSDs!

Digital: Pentax K-1 II + Grip, Pentax K3II + Grip, Pentax MX-1.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.

Algernon

Link Posted 08/02/2018 - 13:16
CiderDrinker wrote:
Algernon, Intel are faster when comparing older generations of CPUs, but with new Ryzen chips there isn't a lot in it now. You get quite a lot of bang for your bucks with the Ryzen 5/7 chips.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1...

Algernon wrote:

--

They look OK, but at 258 might be too expensive. Some of the cheaper Intel's have excellent performance for the price. I can't remember which one I bought a three years ago, but it was only 120.
EDIT: Just checked it was Intel Core i5 4440 Quad Core CPU now gone up to 184 on Amazon and is now quite old.

Some benchmarks
http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core-i5-4440
--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 08/02/2018 - 13:25

jeallen01

Link Posted 08/02/2018 - 19:59
CiderDrinker wrote:

Thanks, I'll check that out!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 with the Hacked K-50 f/w to being a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

jeallen01

Link Posted 09/02/2018 - 09:46
jeallen01 wrote:
CiderDrinker wrote:

Thanks, I'll check that out!

Turns out the page file was less than 500Mb on a machine with 8GB of physical RAM - don't know exactly how it got like that as I would normally set the page file size to 1-2x the physical RAM size, but I suspect it happened when I had to use the hidden Recovery partition to rebuild the m/c after the disasterous first attempt to clone the HDD to the SDD.

Anyway, now found out again (long time since I did anything like this!) how to resize the page file and set it to 8GB. First good sign was then that Task Manager/Resource Manager did show more available "memory" now - hopefully it will stop showing the Low Memory Warnings, but that's yet to be confirmed.

PS: this is on Windows 7 Ultimate (the next step above Windows 7 Pro).

Thanks again.

broadstairs

Link Posted 10/02/2018 - 10:26
It's unlikely that you will be able to avoid exposure to the Spectre and Meltdown issues on any new CPU, especially Intel. AMD are not quite so exposed. As for SSDs I am still not a fan of them. If you are processing a lot of data and doing lots of writing to disk they are more prone to failure than normal hard disks which is why it is advised to move high write directories to a hard disk. To my mind the only real benefit is speed of loading the OS which is no big deal if you hibernate your PC rather than shutdown (W10 does a kind of hibernate as default). I also doubt you will discern the difference between the fastest new CPU and a slightly older one. In my view more real cores is the way to go which means more true multitasking, you have to be a little careful in determining how many real CPUs (cores) a processor has from the sales pitch. As for hard disk reliability I've had one fail in 20 years or so. Make sure your PC (if bought complete) has a really good power supply, or if self building spend some money on a really good one with more than enough power for your needs, quite a lot of off the shelf ones have PSUs only just big enough for what is inside and can cause trouble if you add stuff like extra hard disks.

Stuart
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.