Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Will Pentax cropped DSLR's be dropped?

K10D
Posted 18/12/2011 - 01:11 Link
New rumour: New 24MP Full Frame DSLR and APS-C ILDC are Coming?

link

I do agree with the comment that the K5 may be dropped soon. So that leaves us needing a new flagship.

It will be an interesting new year.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
Opethian
Posted 18/12/2011 - 03:04 Link
This news actually took out my sleepiness. Dammit. LOL
Transit
Posted 18/12/2011 - 03:56 Link
K10D wrote:

link

I do agree with the comment that the K5 may be dropped soon. So that leaves us needing a new flagship.

Best regards

The link you posted is to toxic little ricehigh.
As usual he is just retreading others.
ie http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=40033351

Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Edited by Transit: 18/12/2011 - 03:57
K10D
Posted 18/12/2011 - 04:48 Link
Transit wrote:
K10D wrote:

link

Best regards

The link you posted is to toxic little ricehigh.
As usual he is just retreading others.
ie http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=40033351

Pete

That in itself does not negate the rumour though does it.

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
smc
Posted 18/12/2011 - 07:52 Link
Apparently this is in the Japanese language DC magazine,in an interview with Mr Kitazawa, Head of Pentax R&D. Apparently, the focus is on the 645 though. Now where is my Japanese dictionary......
Edited by smc: 18/12/2011 - 07:57
Shaky
Posted 18/12/2011 - 08:58 Link
No.

But the interesting thing about mirrorless is that it potentially greatly reduces the mechanical complexity of cameras and as a consequence some of the engineering obstacles fall away.

As a consequence unit cost should decline quite a bit - even ignoring R&D - offering the potential for better margins/pricing, obviously assuming that the viewfinders are ‘competitive’.

Having said that I would still be surprised if Pentax bring out a FF camera regardless of the presence or absence of a mirror.
kingfisher
Posted 23/12/2011 - 19:06 Link
To drop cropped format - it wouldn't make any sense now, when Pentax is finally getting some attention after they introduced K-x and K-5. Probably they would build upon this to strenghten their position in APS-C format. With the selection of compact APS-C limiteds, small but advanced bodies I think Pentax have chance to become highly specialized APS-C producer if they build on strenghts of Kx and K5 and improve them in the next models. I doubt they will venture into FF region now...
screwdriver222
Posted 23/12/2011 - 20:41 Link
It did cross my mind something was amiss. K-m, K-x, K-r all released in September of succeeding years and nothing this year.

However the way forward may be to go mirror-less and electronic viewfinder keeping the same sensor size. It is a big change and this might be causing the delays in releasing new cameras, after all they have to get it right.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Pentaxophile
Posted 23/12/2011 - 23:59 Link
I think there'll be a few more crop dslrs yet. FF and mirrorless will probably be introduced alongside them in due course if that's where Pentax decides to go. I think a lot is being read into some very 'high level' ideas coming out of Pentax.

The delay in announcing the kr replacement could be partly due to a natural hiatus as Ricoh seize the reigns, and perhaps because of sensor supply issues.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Edited by Pentaxophile: 24/12/2011 - 00:02

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.