Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax returner after a year with Canon

petemasty
Posted 13/11/2011 - 12:17 Link
Well since selling my K20d and getting a Canon 7d, I've just sold my 7D and bought a Kr. and what a camera it is.

Just done a comparison shot using the 18-55mm DAL and the Fuji X100 lens, both at some focal length and same exposure. Now i know the Fuji lens is very highly regarded, but, well, I really must try and upload the two test results so you can see for yourself.
Pete M
My Flickr
jacqui2
Posted 13/11/2011 - 12:20 Link
Welcome back, It would be interesting to see the test results as Ive just ordered a kr myself
jacqui
Edited by jacqui2: 13/11/2011 - 12:21
jacqui2
Posted 13/11/2011 - 12:23 Link
I guess you are pleased with the kr? any tips, mine should be here Tuesday
jacqui
Frogfish
Posted 13/11/2011 - 12:24 Link
Why did you let go the 7D and switch back to Pentax Pete ? Oh and welcome back home !
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Edited by Frogfish: 13/11/2011 - 12:52
johnriley
Posted 13/11/2011 - 12:34 Link
Welcome back Pete M!
Best regards, John
Mannesty
Posted 13/11/2011 - 12:34 Link
My son has a 7D with 24-105mm 1:4L and 70-200mm 1:2.8L lenses and he loves it. Why change back?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
DaveN
Posted 13/11/2011 - 14:11 Link
Would be interesting to see the comparison.
Discovering the joys of photography with Pentax
petemasty
Posted 13/11/2011 - 15:04 Link
Reason for the change back was for a few reasons:

-it was a hefty bit of kit with three lenses and so i found i wasn't using it as much as i should have been , preferring my X100 and even my Leica DLux 5

-did a test shot one evening with my dLux5 and my 15-85mm lens, and saw no discernible difference in shot quality even when scaled up beyond what would have been A3

-thought I'd release a load of money and see what the M4/3 systems had to offer in terms of image quality and portability

-I was always impressed with the K5 but when i found the Kr had an excellent write up, in particular low light shots, I thought I'd give it a go.

-realised I didn't use the 7D to its fullest with regards to all it can do.

So, i released a lot of money, scaled down my equipment to the bare minimum (IMO), plumbed for the Kr alongside my X100 for street stuff.

Also, i rather enjoyed being part of the Pentax forum when i had the K20.

Regarding the picture comparison (which I shall post when i 've sussed out how to), i did find the Kr very slightly underexposed, but couldn't discern any difference in softness as a RAW image.

and, it's very nice to be back.
Pete M
My Flickr
Hardgravity
Posted 13/11/2011 - 16:04 Link
Welcome back Pete, we're just as daft as last year.

I look forward to seeing some shots from the Kr in comparison to your previous K20d posts.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
Edited by Hardgravity: 13/11/2011 - 16:04
petemasty
Posted 13/11/2011 - 16:22 Link
Right

I've uploaded the two pictures onto my Flickr page (link below). Although you can't really see the noise detail, it may serve a purpose. If someone can show me how to post a larger image on here that would be useful.

There has been no processing other than cropping and slightly lightening the pentax shot to match the Fuji shot. i am quite taken aback by the kit lens considering the plaudits the Fuji X100 lens gets particularly when it's stopped down a bit.
Stuey
Posted 13/11/2011 - 16:34 Link
Welcome back
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
petemasty
Posted 13/11/2011 - 16:37 Link
Having played with it for a few hours, one tip i have is put it in auto ISO, because this Kr is a serious bit of camera when it comes to noise control. It's certainly better than my 7D was. If you have the kit lens, then you'll find that stopping down to something around f8 will net your sharper shots. Have a hunt on this forum, and you may find the same or similar advice.

Personally, I'm sold on the kit lens. I had the Sigma 17-70 when i had the k20 and that was a great lens, but the kit lens, for the money is an outstanding performer. What i like about it is it's simplicity. I'm pretty simple when it comes to shooting. Mainly shoot in one of the three modes (M, Av, Tv), and always shoot in RAW format.

I also think the colours are excellent too straight out of the unit. Lovely and light and petite to boot.

jacqui2 wrote:

Pete M
My Flickr
petemasty
Posted 13/11/2011 - 16:37 Link
Thank you all for the kind welcome.
Pete M
My Flickr
bwlchmawr
Posted 13/11/2011 - 17:25 Link
Welcome back, Pete. Some interesting observations above, particulaly as the Canon 7D is one of the few non-Pentax DSLRs I really covet.

Hope enjoy being back in the fold. I too love my mk1 kit lens!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Edited by bwlchmawr: 13/11/2011 - 17:25
smc
Posted 22/11/2011 - 16:52 Link
petemasty wrote:
Having played with it for a few hours, one tip i have is put it in auto ISO, because this Kr is a serious bit of camera when it comes to noise control. It's certainly better than my 7D was. If you have the kit lens, then you'll find that stopping down to something around f8 will net your sharper shots. Have a hunt on this forum, and you may find the same or similar advice.

Personally, I'm sold on the kit lens. I had the Sigma 17-70 when i had the k20 and that was a great lens, but the kit lens, for the money is an outstanding performer. What i like about it is it's simplicity. I'm pretty simple when it comes to shooting. Mainly shoot in one of the three modes (M, Av, Tv), and always shoot in RAW format.

I also think the colours are excellent too straight out of the unit. Lovely and light and petite to boot.

jacqui2 wrote:

Out of interest, which version of the kit lens?

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.