Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Will I see a difference kx and k5

suzzypoo
Posted 01/11/2012 - 21:59 Link
I have a Pentax k-x and ive just started wedding photography. I was thinking I will probably need 2 cameras in case of emergencies its always useful to have a spare so I have been looking at the K5. I have seen this http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/pentax/k5-digital-slr-ca... and dont know if thats a good price or not.

How much of a difference will I see between the K-x and the k5 ? Is it worth forking out for ?

Thanks for the advice
Suzanne x
wvbarnes
Posted 01/11/2012 - 22:17 Link
The K5 is a faster, higher resolution, better AF, pentaprism fitted not pentamirror, much quiter, weather sealed, fully featured with better modes, connections, top LCD etc etc.

As many on here will advise it is no guarantee of better photos BUT it certainly offers the opportunity for better results.

I'd buy from a Pro dealer such as the one that suppors this site, thus get two years warranty and consider the 18 - 135 WR lens for your purpose as perfect match.
davidstorm
Posted 01/11/2012 - 22:19 Link
The Jessops price doesn't look that cheap to me. You would be better buying the 'body only' from SRS Microsystems, or even watch out on the Forum for a second hand one with low usage; they appear on here quite regularly. You can then spend the difference on quality lenses (very important).

Regarding performance differences between the K-x and K-5, this has been well documented on the forum in previous posts and I do own both cameras so I can probably give you some useful pointers:

- Firstly, the K-x is a superb camera, I have kept mine as a backup body and still use it a lot. I'm always impressed by the images it produces, but it is not designed for professional use

- Secondly, the K-5 is a much different beast, much more suited to Wedding Photography than the K-x

- K-5 is better in low light (but K-x is still very good in this regard)
- K-5's images are better - more detail and better colour depth
- K-5 handles better and is much more responsive, e.g. more ergonomic and the front wheel helps tremendously (shutter speed adjustment on the front, aperture on the back = rapid adjustments!)
- K-5 is more rugged (metal body) and is weathersealed
- K-5 has more accurate and rapid autofocus
- K-5 works better in manual with old lenses (exposure is more accurate)
- K-5 has better viewfinder, 100% view and brighter
- K-5 has a better rear screen, higher resolution and brighter
- K-5 has flash sync socket
- K-5 has infra-red remote sensor on both front and rear (K-x only has this on the rear)
- K-5 has a very quiet and smooth shutter, whereas the K-x's is harsh and noisy

All in all, the K-5 is really much more of a semi-professional camera. If you are serious about wedding photography I would suggest a couple of K-5's with the K-x as emergency backup only. You will also need some high quality glass - the kit lenses whilst good will not be up to commercial wedding photography and you will be competing against professionals with expensive gear.

Good luck in your venture, I hope it works out well for you.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
McBrian
Posted 01/11/2012 - 22:24 Link
I got a similar deal to this on WEX so the price is pretty reasonable with the lenses being WR.

On the other hand (and a lot cheaper) if your looking just to have a spare body for emergencies I would relegate your Kx and get a K30 as you main body, a steal for £320 at the moment, the extra pennies can then go towards some better glass.
Edited by McBrian: 01/11/2012 - 22:42
suzzypoo
Posted 01/11/2012 - 22:46 Link
I was looking at the K30 also so thats something to look into. Thankyou I will I will do some more research into lenses also
Suzanne x
cabstar
Posted 01/11/2012 - 22:47 Link
The k-30 is e current biggest bargain around... But I would still go for a k-5 at least two with a short zoom on one 17-50 2.8 and a medium zoom 50-135mm 2.8 on the other, you just don't have time to mess around swapping lenses at a wedding...

I would also add the 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 to the mix for bridal portraits too...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Pentaxophile
Posted 01/11/2012 - 22:53 Link
In that case 2x K30s may be a good idea - about the same price as 1 K5 and better AF...
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Smeggypants
Posted 01/11/2012 - 23:28 Link
I would advise having 2 identical bodies. I went out on a shoot with my K-5 and K20D and kept forgetting which camera I was using and missed loads of shots becuase of fumbling. last thing you'd want on a Wedding I would think
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
stub
Posted 02/11/2012 - 08:12 Link
I would agree with Smeggy (Really...lol) It's a nuiance having two different models around your neck. buttons always in the wrong place. Though I think K30 an admirable choice with good lens to boot.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
DaveHolmes
Posted 02/11/2012 - 08:55 Link
Does the K30 have AF adjust? back/front focus issues could be the make or brake of a wedding photographer...

I'd agree that 2 fast zooms (as suggested by Cabstar) on 2 identical bodies would be most appropriate... SDM also has the benefit of silent focusing.
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
McBrian
Posted 02/11/2012 - 09:38 Link
DaveHolmes wrote:
Does the K30 have AF adjust? back/front focus issues could be the make or brake of a wedding photographer...

Yes, for up to 20 lenses.
Edited by McBrian: 02/11/2012 - 09:39
1stEverPentax
Posted 02/11/2012 - 11:42 Link
Have to agree with other posters about the exceptional value for money of K30. I have a Kx and can see the K30 being my next purchase. I would only buy it though with a 2 yr warranty from a 'Pro' dealer. Would have thought this has to be a consideration if you are looking to do things on a semi-pro basis...and it needn't cost you any more.

I took some shots at a family wedding recently with the Kx but only in my capacity as a guest, they had a colleague in to do the job properly. Always hard trying to get a good position when you are not the main photographer, some of my shots were OK, but nothing like the quality they would need to be if I was being paid. The 18-55 kit lens
worked out better overall than the Tamron 70-300 although the extra reach of the longer lens was useful in itself, but to be honest neither was really good enough. I would have liked to have had the Tamron 17-50 2.8 which seems great value...maybe next time.
GaryJarvis
Posted 02/11/2012 - 15:44 Link
I've just been in the same position -my niece wants me to do her wedding officially. I've only ever shot alongside "officials" before and only for own amusement really. However last 2/3 weddings my shots have gained much approval. Anyway decided that if I was going to go for it i "needed" K5 over my, much loved Km.
What a difference - it feels better, it works better, it delivers so much more, even with only a little tinkering with buttons.
I got a great deal(body only) from SRS on an ex demo - less than 50 actuations - and couldn't be happier with choice. I use old kit lenses from Km ie 18-55 & 50-200. I also have a 28-80 and 55 -200 (Sigma) from my old SFX days. Recently bought a 50mm 1:1.7 manual focus of ebay - that delivers magnificent quality but I need to be more patient with it
Still learning but loving it!
Folks on this forum are great help and inspiration too.
Good luck with your decision.
philstaff
Posted 02/11/2012 - 16:44 Link
Apart from the sealing is the k30 much of a step up to the Kr ?.
Ian
DaveHolmes
Posted 02/11/2012 - 18:19 Link
philstaff wrote:
Apart from the sealing is the k30 much of a step up to the Kr ?.
Ian

I'd say yes...
AF is improved... Better IQ... Increase in resolution... Dual control wheels... RAW/FX (customizable) button... And Weather Resistant (I know you said 'apart from' but it is a biggie imo)
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.