Will I see a difference kx and k5
Posted 02/11/2012 - 18:24
Link
DaveHolmes wrote:
AF is improved... Better IQ... Increase in resolution... Dual control wheels... RAW/FX (customizable) button... And Weather Resistant (I know you said 'apart from' but it is a biggie imo)
Shake Reduction (SR) on the K-30 is also better than the K-5philstaff wrote:
Apart from the sealing is the k30 much of a step up to the Kr ?.
Ian
I'd say yes... Apart from the sealing is the k30 much of a step up to the Kr ?.
Ian
AF is improved... Better IQ... Increase in resolution... Dual control wheels... RAW/FX (customizable) button... And Weather Resistant (I know you said 'apart from' but it is a biggie imo)
or any other Pentax
-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 02/11/2012 - 19:22
Link
Algernon wrote:
or any other Pentax
-
Is it? That's good, not heard or read that one.
DaveHolmes wrote:
AF is improved... Better IQ... Increase in resolution... Dual control wheels... RAW/FX (customizable) button... And Weather Resistant (I know you said 'apart from' but it is a biggie imo)
Shake Reduction (SR) on the K-30 is also better than the K-5philstaff wrote:
Apart from the sealing is the k30 much of a step up to the Kr ?.
Ian
I'd say yes... Apart from the sealing is the k30 much of a step up to the Kr ?.
Ian
AF is improved... Better IQ... Increase in resolution... Dual control wheels... RAW/FX (customizable) button... And Weather Resistant (I know you said 'apart from' but it is a biggie imo)
or any other Pentax
-
Posted 02/11/2012 - 19:24
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
...I was using and missed loads of shots becuase of fumbling. last thing you'd want on a Wedding I would think
Leave that to the groom on the wedding night
...I was using and missed loads of shots becuase of fumbling. last thing you'd want on a Wedding I would think
Posted 02/11/2012 - 21:24
Link
dcweather wrote:
Link to test in this post... linkAlgernon wrote:
Shake Reduction (SR) on the K-30 is also better than the K-5
or any other Pentax
-
Is it? That's good, not heard or read that one.Shake Reduction (SR) on the K-30 is also better than the K-5
or any other Pentax
-
-
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 03/11/2012 - 09:07
Link
Apart from the key image quality improvements (which David listed above), the K5 (like the K7 before it) is built around a much more 'Pro -Spec' design. By this I mean easy access controls on the body - levers for AF point select, Focus Mode, Metering Mode, DOF Preview, 100% Viewfinder.
All of these key shooting controls have been valued by professonals on SLR bodies for years (long before Digital), and they still help now. I know you'd have to get used to operating the camera, there's a learning curve, but I'd have thought that when on a wedding job the last thing you'd want to be doing is scrolling through menus to change key shooting settings.
All of these key shooting controls have been valued by professonals on SLR bodies for years (long before Digital), and they still help now. I know you'd have to get used to operating the camera, there's a learning curve, but I'd have thought that when on a wedding job the last thing you'd want to be doing is scrolling through menus to change key shooting settings.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 04/11/2012 - 11:31
Link
FWIW, having never done (or intend to do!) a wedding, my comments are:
Having had a K-5 for 2 yrs and a GX10 for 3 yrs before that, I got a K-R as a lighter weight "travelling" camera - and there are things I really miss when using that (good as it most certainly is) compared with the other two:
- Top screen with all the basic exposure settings that is available by just glancing down, but not having to look at the rear screen
- Front adjustment wheel for setting shutter speed (or whatever I would want to use it for from the choices available).
- Rear buttons that give you much quicker access to the various adjustment functions.
- Pentaprism that is certainly a lot brighter, the display in it is more informative, and there is more "eye relief" (i.e. the pentaprism screen looks bigger and with a less restricted viewing angle - especially if you wear glasses all the time as I do), than the K-R.
As a result, the K-R is slower and less intuitive to use, and to adjust quickly - and, with the K-30 having the same single screen, pentamirror and single adjustment wheel arrangement, I would expect roughly the same speed of use as the K-R. These things would not help in a relatively rapidly changing situation like a wedding (and thus, for the same reason, when I go to an "action" event like an airshow, I will always take the K-5 in preference to the K-R).
Finally:
- The K-5 will take a grip with an extra battery ready for use at all times should the body battery run out, whereas the K-30 will not.Also, the K-5 is steadier with the grip fitted than either camera without it - as I confirmed last night at a firework display where a tripod or monopod was not a viable option (result = some reasonable but not outstanding handheld shots at 6400ISO!)
- Given that the K-5II appears to have better low light autofocus than the K-5, may be that would be the better choice of the two (provided you can afford it) as many wedding scenarios are indoors in relatively poor light;
- I would also suggest the 18-135mm WR lens is a good default - provided you get a good sample and keep it stopped down a bit (and have a decent fully adjustable flashgun).
- A decent wide angle zoom might also be useful for the "let's get the whole family together now" shots - and that's where I might keep the K-R as the back-up, as that then becomes more of a point and shoot combination.
John
Having had a K-5 for 2 yrs and a GX10 for 3 yrs before that, I got a K-R as a lighter weight "travelling" camera - and there are things I really miss when using that (good as it most certainly is) compared with the other two:
- Top screen with all the basic exposure settings that is available by just glancing down, but not having to look at the rear screen
- Front adjustment wheel for setting shutter speed (or whatever I would want to use it for from the choices available).
- Rear buttons that give you much quicker access to the various adjustment functions.
- Pentaprism that is certainly a lot brighter, the display in it is more informative, and there is more "eye relief" (i.e. the pentaprism screen looks bigger and with a less restricted viewing angle - especially if you wear glasses all the time as I do), than the K-R.
As a result, the K-R is slower and less intuitive to use, and to adjust quickly - and, with the K-30 having the same single screen, pentamirror and single adjustment wheel arrangement, I would expect roughly the same speed of use as the K-R. These things would not help in a relatively rapidly changing situation like a wedding (and thus, for the same reason, when I go to an "action" event like an airshow, I will always take the K-5 in preference to the K-R).
Finally:
- The K-5 will take a grip with an extra battery ready for use at all times should the body battery run out, whereas the K-30 will not.Also, the K-5 is steadier with the grip fitted than either camera without it - as I confirmed last night at a firework display where a tripod or monopod was not a viable option (result = some reasonable but not outstanding handheld shots at 6400ISO!)
- Given that the K-5II appears to have better low light autofocus than the K-5, may be that would be the better choice of the two (provided you can afford it) as many wedding scenarios are indoors in relatively poor light;
- I would also suggest the 18-135mm WR lens is a good default - provided you get a good sample and keep it stopped down a bit (and have a decent fully adjustable flashgun).
- A decent wide angle zoom might also be useful for the "let's get the whole family together now" shots - and that's where I might keep the K-R as the back-up, as that then becomes more of a point and shoot combination.
John
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Posted 04/11/2012 - 12:20
Link
jeallen01 wrote:
and, with the K-30 having the same single screen, pentamirror and single adjustment wheel arrangement, I would expect roughly the same speed of use as the K-R.
K-30 has a pentaprism and two adjustment wheels, at least on my copy and, with the K-30 having the same single screen, pentamirror and single adjustment wheel arrangement, I would expect roughly the same speed of use as the K-R.
Definitely will be faster to use than the K-r (when I get used to it) and don't keep turning the front wheel instead of the on/off switch
Posted 04/11/2012 - 12:43
Link
Milamber
Thanks for correcting my uninformed comments - in which case these can probably be ignored
John
Thanks for correcting my uninformed comments - in which case these can probably be ignored
John
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Posted 07/11/2012 - 11:02
Link
Thankyou all very much thats been really helpful. I am going to be going camera shopping in the next 2-4 weeks.
Suzanne x
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4934 posts
15 years
Sheffield,
England
Apart from the sealing is the k30 much of a step up to the Kr ?.
Ian
Regards
David
Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu
Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs