Whitby Goth Weekend, Saturday 5 November 2011
Posted 27/03/2012 - 13:56
Link
Algernon wrote:
Taking photographs in a public place is within the law.
Stealing photographs and publishing them on a website is against the law.
The way the stolen photographs have been shown on the website concerned
is possibly defamatory?
I've never heard anyone complaining about being photographed at the
Rio carnival or even a pop festival.
The photographs depicted clearly show that the people being photographed are more than happy to cooperate. They aren't sneaky shots of a Tog leaping out from behind a gravestone and for all the web site author knows these could be paid models.Taking photographs in a public place is within the law.
Stealing photographs and publishing them on a website is against the law.
The way the stolen photographs have been shown on the website concerned
is possibly defamatory?
I've never heard anyone complaining about being photographed at the
Rio carnival or even a pop festival.
John
John K
Posted 27/03/2012 - 14:16
Link
K10D wrote:
Best regards
OooopppsssBlythman wrote:
Think this guy needs invoiced and a notice to take the photos down.
I take his point completely about asking permission. Pity he didn't afford the same courtesy.
The guy is a female Alan.Think this guy needs invoiced and a notice to take the photos down.
I take his point completely about asking permission. Pity he didn't afford the same courtesy.
Best regards
Same applies though. Guess she didn't ask because either
1. she thought permission would be refused, or
2. didn't see why she should bother.
Different rules for different folks as far as she's concerned.
Posted 27/03/2012 - 20:04
Link
The Whitby Goth weekend is not purely a Goth weekend any more. It is attended by horror fans, funeral fans, steam punks, posers, wannabe models and people that just like dressing up etc.. It reminds of that old Victorian idea of promenading.
Even larger numbers of people turn up just to look. I think that on occasions some photgraphers go too far as with street (urban) photos. We have seen some of that on here before with 'drive by urban shooting' The lack of respect for others sometimes does disturb me.
In respect of the comments here by forum members i think that we should always remember that this is an open site and not a private conversation.
Dave
Even larger numbers of people turn up just to look. I think that on occasions some photgraphers go too far as with street (urban) photos. We have seen some of that on here before with 'drive by urban shooting' The lack of respect for others sometimes does disturb me.
In respect of the comments here by forum members i think that we should always remember that this is an open site and not a private conversation.
Dave
Posted 27/03/2012 - 21:20
Link
If the Goths/Punks etc object to being photographed why do so many agree when asked to pose and request copies of the images to be e-mailed to them. Of course we are only too happy to oblige with free copies, some of which appear on their websites and WGW blogs. Indeed some have appeared in this lady's posting.
David.
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
David.
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Posted 27/03/2012 - 22:41
Link
Gareth sent me that link in a PM several weeks ago, it didn't worry me that I was quoted out of context, there are a number of replies/comments to that article which suggest not everyone is blind enough not to see that.
This is just one Goth who objects to having her picture taking by blowing off a little steam, journalists have been twisting words to get a story across for years, whether the way she has gone about it is right or wrong I do believe she has raised a few valid points with regards to the sheer number of togs now attending the event and the bad manners of a small minority.
I think what's rattled cages on here is the fact she has acquired most of her "ammunition" from this forum and subsequently picked on the wrong photographers.
Aside from the issue of using images without consent I don't think we should be making such a big deal out of it.
This is just one Goth who objects to having her picture taking by blowing off a little steam, journalists have been twisting words to get a story across for years, whether the way she has gone about it is right or wrong I do believe she has raised a few valid points with regards to the sheer number of togs now attending the event and the bad manners of a small minority.
I think what's rattled cages on here is the fact she has acquired most of her "ammunition" from this forum and subsequently picked on the wrong photographers.
Aside from the issue of using images without consent I don't think we should be making such a big deal out of it.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6417 posts
17 years
Think this guy needs invoiced and a notice to take the photos down.
I take his point completely about asking permission. Pity he didn't afford the same courtesy.
Best regards