Which version of WG choose?

ellepi

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 09:54
Hallo,
I decided to buy a compact digital camera for family holidays and I would like to take one of the WG series.
Any advice between WG3-WG4-WG20? The GPS version on WG3-WG4 is only for geolocation of images?
Thank you
Luca
Pentax Spotmatic SPII
Super takumar 20|28|35|55|105|135|200
Pentax 40|50|55|70-200 - Jupiter-37AM
Mamiya M645 1000S - Sekor 24|55|80|150|210

Marat

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 10:44
If I can be honest, and if you have a search of this forum on this subject, non of these cameras are upto the job at all, You need to be looking at the offerings from Panasonic and Canon, this time brand loyalty can't count.

I have been a member and currently members of scuba diving clubs in the states and Europe, I am also a PADI divemaster, over the years we have been approached by different publications to test these type of cameras, and each time the Pentax comes last, currently our club favorite is the Panasonic FT-5 and the Nikon 1 AW1.

I am aware that this site does not like the mention of other brands, but in thus case it just would not be fair to let you spend a great deal of money on a item that's just not upto the job.

Algernon

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 11:11
Have a look at this review....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTaJNR1UwQY

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

johnriley

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 14:07
The cameras are very much up to scratch in my experience, currently using a WG-3. Granddaughter Amelia has my old W90 and she's also doing very well with it.

It's not a matter of brand loyalty, it's what we can experience by using the cameras. Needless to say the requirements of the OP don't include diving, so that's a different issue.

For the purpose indicated, I don't think the GPS model is needed unless you particularly want that feature. Also, the WG-3 as an outgoing model can be obtained at perhaps much lower cost than the current WG-4 range.

If you do buy one, I can thoroughly recommend the neoprene case to go with it, perfect for the job and it doesn't make the camera significantly bigger.
Best regards, John

Marat

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 15:32
Yes your right John, So what I should of also added is that the Pentax does work a lot lot better in water then it does out.
So if you don't plan on using in underwater, then I would defiantly go for either the Panasonic or Nike.

johnriley

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 15:57
Defiantly?
Best regards, John

InFESTation

Link Posted 02/09/2014 - 17:04
WG3 is spot on for on the beach and general family mucking about, rugged and pretty much bomb proof (survived my bairns so far), has taken drops and crushing no problem at all, I am not impressed with using it for scenic type shots should be okay for your 4x6/7x5 album shots but I wasn't impressed when I tried some A4 prints (thought my old 2Mp olly was better).

Where I was impressed even though it was only in a pool, I recently done a SCUBA intro/experience with one of the bairns and underwater it seemed to do very well, there was some distortion at the wide end but overall I was impressed with the stills and video underwater (nothing worth showing here as my talents I am discovering with the camera are somewhat lacking seem to be using the delete button alot).

I believe one of the few differences on the WG4 apart from the RICOH moniker is the ability to select a shutter speed (something I would have liked and is available on far cheaper P&S cameras) but other than that they are the same.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

jules

Link Posted 09/09/2014 - 21:29
Or this?

Go on Ricoh my son! Kick Go Pro's butt!
http://photorumors.com/2014/09/09/the-new-ricoh-wg-m1-is-a-weird-looking-camera/...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 09/09/2014 - 21:30

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/09/2014 - 02:35
jules wrote:
Or this?

Go on Ricoh my son! Kick Go Pro's butt!
http://photorumors.com/2014/09/09/the-new-ricoh-wg-m1-is-a-weird-looking-camera/...

Which model's butt would be kicked by this?

I just stumbled upon this model also, but these specs read as impressive 2 years ago to me?

jules

Link Posted 10/09/2014 - 04:28
It was ironic humor mate, note the wink and the smile?
As in Ricoh seem to be a little all over he place and arn't really kicking anyones butt!
At least they are interested in bringing new products to bear, which may sell in some numbers and re-thinking the boxy camera. Ricoh have a tough audience because of the fact they have not brought out a FF and not updated the K3 less than a year after it's birth . Although I reckon with this release the American forum will spontaenously combust! looks a fun product to me, I'd far rather put that modern looking thing on my cycling helmet than a scale model of a brick, and it's bright orange too, hard to go wrong with bright orange...Except the K-S1 in orange that one is a bit too whacky for even me!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
Last Edited by jules on 10/09/2014 - 04:36

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/09/2014 - 06:11
jules wrote:
It was ironic humor mate, note the wink and the smile?
As in Ricoh seem to be a little all over he place and arn't really kicking anyones butt!

Oh, gotcha now lol

Reminds me quite seriously in concept of the JVC Adixxion or however you spell it. That one immediately springs to mind when I look at this Pentax offering. Now granted anything with d1ck in the name is not a wise marketing choice, but it's an equivalent product that's been released for quite some time.

As an alternative to the Gopro, the Sony action cam range is now quite big, and the early ones are on clearance now. All of them do 1080p 60fps and 720p 120fps straight out of the box, have image stabilisation, and most have wifi built in and an accompanying iOS app etc

These do have a 14MP sensor though, which is probably the highest pixel count in this market? Would have to check the specs of the alternatives, but I think that's the biggest.
Last Edited by richandfleur on 10/09/2014 - 06:14

jules

Link Posted 10/09/2014 - 07:25
http://cdn.jvc.co.uk/adixxion/

See your point...

Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/09/2014 - 02:03
Actually may be far more specific

Very much shades of the MX-1 XZ-2 Olympus and the Kodak PIXPRO AZ362 Pentax X5? me thinks...
Last Edited by richandfleur on 11/09/2014 - 02:03

richandfleur

Link Posted 11/09/2014 - 06:43
Youtube link here
Gives an indication of the video quality.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.