which version of silkypix do you use

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 07/12/2010 - 16:55
Hi folks,
knowing there are some silkypix users here I wondered what 'taste' of silkypix was being used so I thought another meaningless poll was in order...

I don't consider PPL or DCU4 to be real silkypix but there's no harm including it here as I guess it may be the first people have heard of silkypix and I wonder if some people are put off using DS4 or DSPro by the PPL or DCU4 gui - I've used PPL myself, I haven't seen what DCU4 looks like, only read a few adverse comments on forums and made some assumptions it's like PPL who's gui is somewhat deficient (but processes well enough).

disclaimer : I confess to being a DSPro user myself but don't have any shares in ISL

Oggy

Link Posted 07/12/2010 - 20:27
It is RAW processor Gareth.

Oggy

Link Posted 07/12/2010 - 22:13
If you are talking Adobe dng converter, it is a much more sophisticated program with a full range of tools for exposure, contrast, white balance, colour, sharpening, noise reduction etc. It is more of an alternative to Lightroom.

Joe S

Link Posted 07/12/2010 - 23:54
Hey Gareth. I can see you own a Samsung. On their website you can download the latest version of Samsung RAW, which is similar to Silkypix 4, I think. I don't know how that compares to the Pentax version.

I use Samsung RAW quite a lot - it's a fine program, but I suspect my Adobe package will have to take over know.
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350

Joe S

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 00:28
Development.

Notice that compared to earlier versions there are know clone tools and stuff!

Aero

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 03:53
The Samsung Raw Converter 2 that came with my GX20 seems to be a rebadged version of DS3. It claims to be based on the Silkypix product but looks like the full package. I doubt I'll be "outgrowing" it any time soon.

Al

Joe S

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 08:38
Aero. Go to Samsungs web and download the latest version. It requires you to register online, but it is worth it as the program have been updated - and is now version 4. I don't understand Samsung cares to do so, as they are out of the dslr game, but it's cool they do.

Algernon

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 13:44
Joe S wrote:
Aero. Go to Samsungs web and download the latest version. It requires you to register online, but it is worth it as the program have been updated - and is now version 4. I don't understand Samsung cares to do so, as they are out of the dslr game, but it's cool they do.

I can't see any software on the Samsung site? Just the manual and v1.03 flash update. Do you have the link for the Raw converter?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Joe S

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 13:51
Try this, pick your camera and look under Utilities. I think you need to register your camera, before you can download anything.

Aero

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 14:36
Many thanks, Joel. Like Algi, I couldn't find it when I checked after your first post but your link did the trick. You do indeed have to register your camera before downloading.

Cheers

Al
Last Edited by Aero on 08/12/2010 - 14:37

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 14:40
cardiff_gareth wrote:
I have that also but cannot find where to save it once I've played with an image !

RAW converters generally don't require you to save anything. All the changes you make are saved automatically in a separate file.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Algernon

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 14:42
Thanks Joe and Aero... seems they have two sites.
It looks like the software is also used for the NX100
which is why it's kept up to date.

Got to look for my password now.

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 16:27
I've just downloaded and installed v4 without any problems.
Just needed the camera SN.

It's also a full install no need to have previous version
installed. I've got a Samsung and a Pentax camera and only
previously installed the Pentax software.

Shows it's powered by Silkypix Developer Studio v4.0

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 08/12/2010 - 17:51
cardiff_gareth wrote:
So do I have DS4 now then?!!

It would seem so..... I haven't got the full retail version to see
if anythings missing? I suppose I could DL a demo, but it means
a lot of installing and uninstalling. Seems to work quite well
though I tried recovering an overexposed shot and it was quite
usable.

Algi

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 09/12/2010 - 13:11
Aero wrote:
The Samsung Raw Converter 2 that came with my GX20 seems to be a rebadged version of DS3. It claims to be based on the Silkypix product but looks like the full package. I doubt I'll be "outgrowing" it any time soon.

Al

Ahah, bound to happen I said to myself when setting this up, I'll miss one category of poll answer...

I wasn't aware that Samsung had provided what looks like a full up version of silkypix DS3, kudos to them. I haven't seen a screenshot of it anywhere to be able to compare.

May I suggest Samsung Raw Converter users add their answer to the "other" option for the poll, it will keep all the Samsungers together and I doubt there will be many "other" entries otherwise.

cheers and thanks for pitching in
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.