Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Whích Q ?

BruceStrachan
Posted 02/11/2015 - 12:36 Link
Hi,

I previously owned a Q10 and to be honest quite enjoyed the camera, but finances at the time forced me to sell it.
Now looking for a new toy and trying to decide between the original Q; Q10; Q7 & QS1.
They all share same pixel count, but in members minds is one superior to the others?
I´ve seen in other posts that the original Q was more rugged, is this still the case with the QS1?

Any advice much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Bruce
Cheers,

Bruce
Posted 02/11/2015 - 14:41 Link
i own the original Q and love it. COuldnt believe the difference in the quality when i lifted the Q7 - it was so plasticky.

As others have mentioned before unless you are printing massively you want notice much difference

its my go to street camera

Comment Image
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
johnriley
Posted 02/11/2015 - 15:09 Link
The Q7 and Q-S1 have slightly larger sensors, similar to or identical to the MX-1. So, in theory at least, they might have the edge in image quality.

But they all work well. I use the Q-S1 at present and for no extra cost went for one of the custom colours.
Best regards, John
richardmills
Posted 02/11/2015 - 19:44 Link
I have the original Q which i purchased second hand on this forum.

I had the same dilemma when i bought mine and im glad i went for the original as the build quality is so nice.

The image quality from it always surprises me (and thats only with the 5-15 lens - id like the prime but not enough to spend the money they are new).
SteveLedger
Posted 02/11/2015 - 21:50 Link
Unless they bring back the original Q design and build quality, I'm not interested in upgrading to a newer Q.
I know build materials and quality don't improve the image output, but aesthetics and 'feel' are all part of the pleasure afaic.
And btw, you can still print big from Q shots.
BruceStrachan
Posted 03/11/2015 - 06:41 Link
So 3-1 to the original Q......
A question John,
I know you also have an MX-1 as I do, which is built like a tank and produces great images, OK it´s a little heavier and slightly wider than a Q, question is if you already have an MX-1 what benefits do you see from also buying a Q?
For me the changeable lens, the image coloration is different, can´t think of any others...
Cheers,

Bruce
SteveLedger
Posted 03/11/2015 - 07:03 Link
Yep, I also have an MX-1.. I think we're just Pentax'o'philes, Bruce - who needs a good reason other than having the available cash to buy a new toy
Personally I could make do with just my K-50 and the few lenses I have, but sometimes it's just nice to pick up a different camera to shoot with.
richardmills
Posted 03/11/2015 - 07:57 Link
I fancy an mx1 too. It's definitely a pentax want more than need thing
Posted 03/11/2015 - 08:55 Link
I have the following lenses

The 01 Prime lens is superb - Very good optically small enough to pocket.

The 02 Zoom lens is a lens that use very rarely because i find it inferior to the above. I would really like the wide angle buts its priced way too steep

The 03 lens is the Fish eye and I use this lens a lot! Its fun to shoot street shots with and I also use it for documenting my fishing exploits by the river bank. This lens can be had for very cheap on ebay
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/
johnriley
Posted 03/11/2015 - 09:23 Link
The MX-1 is ideal for carrying all the time. Whatever crops up that needs to be shot from macro to medium telephoto can be covered at high quality.

The Q system gives a similar levels of quality, but offers the chance to use a wide array of lenses and accessories. Unlike the MX-1, they are all separate items like any DSLR, so not the same catch0all product to carry all the time. But, need a compact unobtrusive camera for a concert, then the 06 15-45mm zoom is perfect. Need a fisheye, there is one. Want a bit of Lomography, use the 07 Body Cap lens. Then we have CCTV lenses, extension tubes, Pentax 110 film system lenses, all to play with. And we can even use our K mount lenses and get massive magnification for that wildlife. Oh, there are the Toy lenses as well.

The MX-1 is used all the time, wherever I go. The Q system is used where full sized photography would be intrusive or attract attention (such as at concerts) or where photography is not the main purpose of an event but I still think there will be opportunities.
Best regards, John
carmagw
Posted 03/11/2015 - 19:37 Link
I would echo a lot of the comments already mentioned.

Had the original Q and sold this as I'd got a Q7. Build quality is not the same (although used to it now) but the IQ is better and if you like to tinker with your shots in post processing, even a bit of cropping for a better composition then I would go for the larger sensor. If I were buying now I would look to see which option gave the best deal with 01 lens and or 06 15-45 as these are the pick of the bunch. Not tried the wide angle. bit too pricey.

Still fancy the MX-1 but cannot justify it yet !

Regards

George
michaelblue
Posted 04/11/2015 - 16:20 Link
I've had the 01 prime, the 5-15mm and the 15-45mm.
The 5-15mm is as good as the prime at 8mm but not so good at 15mm
The other two are excellent, particularly the 15-45mm which is superb for flowers!
I've used both on the original Q and the Q10 and to be honest I can't see any difference.
I'd be curious to see results from the Q-S1 though...........anybody?
Regards,
Michael
johnriley
Posted 04/11/2015 - 17:29 Link
Comment Image

Q-S1 with 06 15-45mm
Best regards, John
SteveLedger
Posted 04/11/2015 - 19:41 Link
michaelblue wrote:

I've used both on the original Q and the Q10 and to be honest I can't see any difference.

I'd not expect any difference as they are essentially the same camera internally..
And tbh, I've not seen evidence of a huge difference when they brought out the Q7 with the larger sensor.
In my opinion, all models since the original Q have been a step sideways rather than forwards.
Dingo
Posted 06/11/2015 - 02:57 Link
Can never beat an Original......which is why I have THREE of them!!........yes, I know, that might be one too many, but then I am a Pentaxio, and my Doctor is prescribing me the Meds to cope with my Wellness!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.