Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Which film?

Benz3ne
Posted 16/01/2020 - 15:34 Link
As I've been sporadically documenting here-'n'-there, I've recently received a swathe of film cameras for not a lot of money. Total is now up to 4: 1x MX and 3x ME Super.
The MX cost not a lot of money, so I thought it worth the gamble (especially after womble's recommendation) and the ME Super's get a lot of praise and I've asked the right questions regarding their function, the answers to which have been spot on - all appear to work without issue, shutters fire, electronics appear to work well, no sticky mirrors. Some corrosion to a couple but that's by-the-by.
As of today, I have also changed light seals in all 3 (2 only required the rear seals changing, one required the mirror bumper too). Of course, I'm not planning on keeping all 3 ME Supers, but I digress.

Which film should I throw into my cameras?

A bit more boring background: I've some Kodak Colorplus 200 (36exp) which may or may not be fubar'ed. I accidentally rewound it when trying to set up the OH's Oly OM-10 for the first time, so in a darker-than-dark room (at least, I couldn't see what I was doing) I managed to wangle off the lid and feed the feeder. I've only taken a few shots on that in the MX but it shouldn't take me much longer to exhaust the roll - good really as I need to change the seals in that camera too!

What about the ME Supers? I'm thinking perhaps one with something B&W and one with something colour. I'm happy to pay for development for now but I'm tempted to drop myself into the world of developing at a later date. Apologies for the waffle, it's just who I am!
danofmk
Posted 16/01/2020 - 15:55 - Helpful Comment Link
Depends what you're looking for I guess, but I'd wager this place;

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/

Is a good a place as any to start.

Perhaps some Portra 808 as a colour option at this time of year?

In terms of B&W, the Kentmere films can't be beaten for value, and I'm a big fan of the Kodak Tmax 400 too, and whilst I haven't tried it myself, I've heard good things about the JCH offering.

The beauty of film is that you can try them all over time, it's just a case of where to start; I must have shot a roll a month for the past three years, and I haven't shot more than two rolls of any one particular stock.
Benz3ne
Posted 16/01/2020 - 20:26 Link
danofmk wrote:
Depends what you're looking for I guess, but I'd wager this place;

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/

Is a good a place as any to start.

Perhaps some Portra 808 as a colour option at this time of year?

In terms of B&W, the Kentmere films can't be beaten for value, and I'm a big fan of the Kodak Tmax 400 too, and whilst I haven't tried it myself, I've heard good things about the JCH offering.

The beauty of film is that you can try them all over time, it's just a case of where to start; I must have shot a roll a month for the past three years, and I haven't shot more than two rolls of any one particular stock.

Thanks for the direction! Very useful information. The Portra 800 is a little bit more spendy at this stage considering I don’t know how good a job I’ve done on the light seals, but the B&W options look great! I might just start cheaper and work my way through some seeing what clicks most with me! A valid point that’s easy to forget is that time is ongoing and we do have the opportunity to try multiple options.

Thanks again for the help! Happy to hear other opinions and will happily look at sample pictures of recommended films.
womble
Posted 16/01/2020 - 21:23 - Helpful Comment Link
If you look through my Ipernity feed you'll see many film images and most are tagged as to what they are.

I've tried all sorts but in general prefer either Ektar or Portra for colour (depending on how saturated I want the colours) and either Ilford or Agfa for BW. The Agfa APX films are not too pricey IIFC, and I've had some pretty nice results from APX100 and 400. I used to love Kodak BW400CN for cameras with possibly dodgy shutters because of its huge exposure latitude but that film is no more... Another good source for film is Silverprint.

Kris' Ipernity feed.

After many years of films being discontinued, just lately there have been a few new additions: Ilford Ortho Plus in 135 and 120, Ektachrome 100, Ferrania P30 as well as various Lomography repackagings. Long may it continue.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
johnha
Posted 17/01/2020 - 09:35 - Helpful Comment Link
In this digital age where ISOs are measured in thousands, it's important to remember the limitations of film. A 'fast' film was anything over ISO 200, 400 was about the maximum for most films & subjects for the 35mm format. Indeed, slow films were ISO25 or 50 (still easily usable in daylight for general shooting).

Some films are better than others and there were much faster films up to 1600 or 3200 with more grain (which was a characteristic which could be used for artistic purposes). Portra 800 might work wonderfully in medium format, but would probably struggle in 35mm.

I'd try a range of film, cheap or expired, different monochrome, good colour print & slide - see which you prefer the look of or gel with. The beauty is you can buy a roll at a time as you discover what good looks like, where your preferences lie and what suits your shooting.
LongTimeLurker
Posted 18/01/2020 - 22:14 - Helpful Comment Link
I am happy using Portra in 120 format (apart from the price :shock.

For my KX I tend to use Ilford HP4 / HP5, sometimes pushed one stop if needed.

I'm not too fussy though: I have had good results from some expired Kodak Gold that I bought over fifteen years ago for a point and shoot.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Benz3ne
Posted 19/01/2020 - 07:40 Link
womble wrote:
If you look through my Ipernity feed you'll see many film images and most are tagged as to what they are.

I've tried all sorts but in general prefer either Ektar or Portra for colour (depending on how saturated I want the colours) and either Ilford or Agfa for BW. The Agfa APX films are not too pricey IIFC, and I've had some pretty nice results from APX100 and 400. I used to love Kodak BW400CN for cameras with possibly dodgy shutters because of its huge exposure latitude but that film is no more... Another good source for film is Silverprint.

Kris' Ipernity feed.

After many years of films being discontinued, just lately there have been a few new additions: Ilford Ortho Plus in 135 and 120, Ektachrome 100, Ferrania P30 as well as various Lomography repackagings. Long may it continue.

K.

Your site is wonderfully useful, thanks Kris! I’ll have a more comprehensive flick through before long and see what I can find re film shots that sing to me. Ektar and Portra get a lot of favourable mention though so I’ll probably look into one or the other before too long!

Thanks for the point towards Silverprint too.
Benz3ne
Posted 19/01/2020 - 07:44 Link
LongTimeLurker wrote:
I am happy using Portra in 120 format (apart from the price :shock.

I'm not too fussy though: I have had good results from some expired Kodak Gold that I bought over fifteen years ago for a point and shoot.

Not too fussy is a good way to be, for sure! I’m much of the opposite in a way, I like to be exhaustive in my approaches to things. That approach certainly has its pros and cons.

As per my response to Kris, above, and his mentioning of Ektar and Portra, Ilford HP4 and HP5+ do get a lot of favourable mention too. From the pictures I’ve seen I can understand why so I’ll probably start my B&W foundations with a bit of that. Also useful that their guides on developing are so comprehensive; very much lends itself to home processing!

Diolch yn fawr, hefyd - thanks a lot, also!
laurencea
Posted 19/01/2020 - 17:39 - Helpful Comment Link
Hello

I'll second the Kentmere B&W recommendation. It's pretty cheap, but i've always found it to be punching above its weight. I prefer it to the Fomapan 100 or Kosmo Foto 100 (both the same thing). Ilford do a lovely little 3 pack "taster" on their website, so you can have a play. Ilford always perform brilliantly and the Kentmere is made by the same company.

For colour - i used to love the Lomo colour 100, but that may have been as i got some free every time my processing stamp card was full! Kodak ColorPlus or the FujiColor at 200 are both ok, but no match for the now discontinued Fuji Superior 200. Kodak Ektar and Portra are both superb, just depends on which one you prefer (i go Ektar every time).

There other weird and wonderful films out there, as you'll see on the Analogue Wonderland site.

good luck!
Pentax k1000, MX, ME Super, K5iiD 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.
LongTimeLurker
Posted 19/01/2020 - 18:22 - Helpful Comment Link
LongTimeLurker wrote:

Before I send you down a rabbit hole I should point out my typo: the two Ilford film types are FP4 and HP5. I really should check what I have typed before hitting the 'Add Comment' button. Sigh.

The others have given very useful suggestions and I'll try a roll of Agfa APX and Kodak Ektar to compare and contrast with what I'm used to.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.