Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Which eye?

Blythman
Posted 01/10/2010 - 11:31 Link
Just wondering if there are many "left eyed" photographers out there. I've tried quite a few times over the years to use my right eye, as its supposed to be the preferred eye, allowing you to see the overall scene easier, using the left eye at the side of the camera. I have never been able to get to grips with this, and have always reverted to my left eye.

Same thing at the fair too. Shooting with an air rifle is awkward.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
johnwhit
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:02 Link
It seems you have a left master eye, if you point at an object with both eyes open, then close one eye at a time, whichever eye sees you still pointing at the object is your master eye.

John (who keeps both eyes open)
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Blythman
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:16 Link
Hi John. Found this link on the back of what you said.

http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/howtoindex/ht/eye_dominance.htm

So, I'm unusually right handed, but left eyed
Alan

PPG
Flickr
alig
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:20 Link
Another right-handed but left eyed here...
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR
johnwhit
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:34 Link
Blythman wrote:
Hi John. Found this link on the back of what you said.

http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/howtoindex/ht/eye_dominance.htm

So, I'm unusually right handed, but left eyed

That's a much better explanation/test, it's quite common in shooting with side by side shotguns where the shooter keeps both eyes open. If you have a left master eye the common practice if right handed would be to close the left eye, either that or invest in an expensive cross-over stock for the gun which usually has to be custom made. Left handed people with a left master eye would just use a left handed stock of course. Some people actually start out one way when young and switch later, myself included, used to have a left master eye up to age 14-15 and then it switched to the right

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
gartmore
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:38 Link
I
johnwhit wrote:
It seems you have a left master eye, if you point at an object with both eyes open, then close one eye at a time, whichever eye sees you still pointing at the object is your master eye.

I keep both eyes open too, one (the right) is looking through the camera and the other is scanning what isn't in the viewfinder. It takes practice.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
MattMatic
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:38 Link
Nice test
I'm right handed, use my right eye for the camera, but my left eye is apparently dominant
Maybe I should shuffle things around
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
johnwhit
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:43 Link
gartmore wrote:
I
johnwhit wrote:

I keep both eyes open too, one (the right) is looking through the camera and the other is scanning what isn't in the viewfinder. It takes practice.

Same here. My father came from the Lake District (Shap) taught me to shoot from an early age, kept the both eyes open technique to this day, only closing my left eye if there was something distracting me.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Blythman
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:51 Link
alig wrote:
Another right-handed but left eyed here...

We're definitely at a disadvantage Ali. I can just about manage what the other guys say, but its very uncomfortable, and I struggle to see the viewdinder information. This means I have to set up with my left eye, which defeats the object, unless I'm happy to hand over full control of the settings to a program mode.
Alan

PPG
Flickr
DoctorJeff
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:52 Link
You can train rifle/pistol shooters to use either hand and either eye.
Training eye is easy - wear glasses with prescription lens for right eye, and plain lens scrubbed matt with sandpaper for left eye. Then keep both eyes open. Scrubbed lens lets a similar amount of light into both eyes and minimises transverse muscle strain.
Training the hand is much harder, unless you start with an absolute beginner who has never shot before. Otherwise it is easier to build a left handed rifle, or make left handed pistol grips.
I have done all of these.
I have left master eye, long since retrained, and hold camera to right eye as this suits the fact that I am right-handed.
Geoff (ex senior pistol coach)
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
fatspider
Posted 01/10/2010 - 12:52 Link
I just tried that test and couldn't see any difference at all:

But thats not surprising as I do some some things left handed, some right handed and some I can do with either hand
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
greynolds999
Posted 01/10/2010 - 13:43 Link
fatspider wrote:
I just tried that test and couldn't see any difference at all:

But thats not surprising as I do some some things left handed, some right handed and some I can do with either hand

Far too much information!

I'm right-handed, right-footed and right-eyed, or as it's technically known, normal.
beginner
Posted 01/10/2010 - 14:04 Link
One advantage I can see straight away!....you dont get nose marks all over your screen!
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
prsjnb
Posted 01/10/2010 - 16:42 Link
Reading this thread has made me reach for the anti-anxiolytics: I had no idea that so many members on the forum tote firearms as well as cameras and expensive glass

Henceforth, my posts, especially in response to requests for C&C, are going to be considerably more circumspect and respectful

Any forum member know where I can get kevlar body armour for a good price

Jon
DoctorJeff
Posted 01/10/2010 - 17:17 Link
prsjnb wrote:
Reading this thread has made me reach for the anti-anxiolytics: I had no idea that so many members on the forum tote firearms as well as cameras and expensive glass

Henceforth, my posts, especially in response to requests for C&C, are going to be considerably more circumspect and respectful

Any forum member know where I can get kevlar body armour for a good price

Jon

Well, Jon,
In this beautiful county we both live in, there is the dealer who supplied ammunition to Michael Ryan of "Hungerford" fame - or infamy.
They still offer combat-type weaponry.
They were prosecuted back in the '80s for modifying ex-Army Stirling SMGs to fire full-auto, and got away with a trivial fine ("slap on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf" class - they should have lost their Firearms Dealers licence)and a look at their current stock list makes me very glad that I sold all my firearms almost 20 years back.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.