what is the difference between..

davem
Posted 11/02/2008 - 20:09 Link
The good old K10d and the new kid on the block the K200d?

I like my DS but would like to upgrade to get the shake reduction,dust removal, increased pixel count.

Are they virtualy the same camera?

Is there a second hand/trade in market for the DS?

Davem
Tyr
Posted 11/02/2008 - 20:25 Link
Doesn't the K200D have no weather sealing, smaller buffer and less controlls than the K10D?

Otherwise they are based on the same sensor so are quite a nice choice.

I'd personally rather have the K10D as you can get the extra accessories, have the weather sealing, better controls, better viewfinder, rechargeable LIon battery.......
Gwyn
Posted 11/02/2008 - 20:43 Link
The K200D does have weather sealing.
It has a pentamirror instead of a pentaprism viewfinder, and takes AA Lithium batteries instead of the expensive K10D battery. It also has scene modes like the K100D or Ds. But it does have the big screen of the K20D.
There are doubtless more differnces if you compare the specs in detail.
You can do that at the US Pentax site: www.pentaximaging.com
Tyr
Posted 11/02/2008 - 21:18 Link
They crammed weather sealing into that tiny thing?

I'd still miss the front e-dial and battery grip. Just love my K10D

PS. The more I see of the K20Ds images the more I want one. They really seem to have a film like quality towards the higher sensitivity range.

EDIT: In fact, the K200D even gives you the enhanced dynamic range mode from the K20D. Seems rather good to me... Like A K10D squeezed into a K100DS body with some K20D enhancements.
iceblinker
Posted 11/02/2008 - 21:31 Link
Quote:
The good old K10d and the new kid on the block the K200d?

I like my DS but would like to upgrade to get the shake reduction,dust removal, increased pixel count.

Are they virtualy the same camera?

Is there a second hand/trade in market for the DS?

Davem
I'm in the same position as you at the moment.

I've decided on a K10D. The K200D and K100D have a worse viewfinder than what I have already - so I would regard one of these as somewhat of a downgrade.

K10D body will cost £400.

Used DS cameras are selling for around £125 to £220 on ebay - depending on condition and lenses/extras included. I think newbies may be put off if it's body only.
~Pete
Gwyn
Posted 11/02/2008 - 22:14 Link
I too have the Ds, and am debating what to do. I really like the Ds, and am quite happy with it most of the time, though weathersealing would be a big plus for me, especially as I am going to White Sands NM in May!
I would prefer the K200D from a size and weight point of view, but I don't want the Pentamirror viewfinder.

I have found a shop in Holland offering the K20D for a good price on pre order, but do I really want 14MP? They also have a "pro package" with the two star lenses and the K20D for €400 more than the same package with the K10D. €100 an MP

I see the Ds on offer here occasionally but for only about €250. Luckily he who pays the bills wants to take mine over.

Decisions decisions. I hate making them.
Clarky
Posted 11/02/2008 - 22:58 Link
Quote:
I too have the Ds, and am debating what to do. I really like the Ds, and am quite happy with it most of the time, though weathersealing would be a big plus for me, especially as I am going to White Sands NM in May!
I would prefer the K200D from a size and weight point of view, but I don't want the Pentamirror viewfinder.

I have found a shop in Holland offering the K20D for a good price on pre order, but do I really want 14MP? They also have a "pro package" with the two star lenses and the K20D for €400 more than the same package with the K10D. €100 an MP

I see the Ds on offer here occasionally but for only about €250. Luckily he who pays the bills wants to take mine over.

Decisions decisions. I hate making them.
Do it Gwyn get the K20 you know you want it There i have made the decision for you. Thats one headache out of the way, now you just have to get the money and sorry but i can't help you there
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Mannesty
Posted 11/02/2008 - 22:59 Link
Having a weather sealed camera body is only part of the solution. You'll need weather sealed lenses too. You'd better start saving for some DA* lenses.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Daniel Bridge
Posted 11/02/2008 - 23:31 Link
I suspect there may well be a few K10Ds appearing on the secondhand market, might be better value to get one of those...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Gwyn
Posted 12/02/2008 - 14:45 Link
Clarky, if I was sure I could get one soon I would proabably go for it. I go on holiday in May and want time to learn to use it before I go, as it will be very different to the Ds.
However the importer in the Netherlands still insists it won't be here until end April, and won't give a definite price for it, so I may have to go for the K10D after all.
I'll wait until the end of the month and see if there is any more news.
He who pays the bills has almost agreed to me getting the * lenses too - on condition I try to sell a couple of others.
Pwynnej
Posted 12/02/2008 - 19:48 Link
Hi Gwyn,

Are you referring to Kamera-Express? 1019 EUR they are quoting on their site for the K20D...

Would be worth seeing how much they will be at Schiphol.

I'm due a few trips this year, NY (x2) and Osaka, so the K10D is assigned for those.. Local trips in the EU, like Ghent or Brussels are the domain of the 645

Peter
Malo1961
Posted 12/02/2008 - 20:17 Link
Quote:

He who pays the bills has almost agreed to me getting the * lenses too - on condition I try to sell a couple of others.
I smell Valentine all over the place here, even if the wind is not southwest to northeast here in Holland.
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Gwyn
Posted 12/02/2008 - 21:59 Link
Peter, yes KE have it at a remarkable price compared to the rest - but De Beukekaar, the importer, says the price isn't fixed yet nor the delivery date -they are still talking April .

The next time I'm at Schiphol will be when I leave on my hols, and if I'm, going to wait till then then I'll get it in the US. I really would like to get it sooner than that to learn how to use the thing, not be consulting the instruction book while trying to get the shot of a lifetime.

I'll hang on a bit longer and see what happens.

Martin, sadly HWPTB is no romantic - his Canon P&S is on it's last legs so he will be only too happy to take over the Ds. He can even have a couple of the lenses, just not the Bigma, or the Tamron 90mm Macro, or the Pentax A 1.7 50mm, or the.....
davem
Posted 12/02/2008 - 22:18 Link
Thanks for the interesting replies.

Has any body got downsides to the K10d or is that a terrible question to ask?

I am seeing if my daughter can be persuaded to take up the offer of the ds with the 18 - 55 kit lens and a sigma 50 - 200 for her birthday. (and the occasional loan of my other lenses). I could then perhaps justify buying the K10d.

Selling on ebay is not something I really want to pursue - put that down to laziness and fear of the unknown!

I am moving more towards the K10d as the weight of the two is very close, the viewfinder is better, and it is a tried and tested camera. I think removing the scene mode would also help me with my photography as I would be forced to think about shots an settings properly as I used to with the old manual olympus!

Now when is my daughter going to ring and how low the the k10d go?

Dave
beakynet
Posted 13/02/2008 - 12:18 Link
Quote:
The K200D does have weather sealing.
60 Seals verses 72 on the K10D.

Interestingly Photography Monthly has indicated that the GX20 will be priced about £300 cheaper than the K20D! I would expect the K20D's price to fall sharply in the first 6 months if this is the case.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo