What Editing Program

layingback

Link Posted 17/08/2011 - 22:16
Yeah, use it all the time now I'm Linux based. Initially it seems odd after Photoshop, but once you get used to it it is actually more consistent across the feature set in terms of ui than PS. And feels more responsive too - but that may not be true of the Windows version. Can do most all you'd likely want to do in PS. And the price ...
My PENTAX Page

Smeggypants

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 03:44
Adobe Lightroom is the obvious choice IMO.

Indulging in a pastime of photography isn't just about the editing, it's also about the cataloguing and viewing the pics after editing.

Apart from a couple of plugins, Lightroom can do anything I need editing wise and the cataloguing side of things is second to none IMO.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

robbieclark

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 12:21
GIMP is another option that I and many others I know use. I can't compare it to modern versions of photoshop, but I find it to be free and excellent.
For RAW processing I use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4, which came with my camera, or UFRAW which integrates with GIMP

prsjnb

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 13:05
The only limitation that the current version of GIMP has, at least for Windows, is that it is exclusively an 8-bit editor, which may or may not be of importance to you.

Another programme I have used and am more than happy to recommend is Photofiltré Studio, which is a powerful, well supported image editor; albeit with a somewhat idiosyncratic interface that takes a little time and effort to become fully familiar with. A fully functional, 30-day trial is available to download, after which it costs a measly, IMO, €29 for a license. Check it out here link.

Jon

Crossed-up

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 13:48
Smeggypants wrote:
Adobe Lightroom is the obvious choice IMO.

Indulging in a pastime of photography isn't just about the editing, it's also about the cataloguing and viewing the pics after editing.

Apart from a couple of plugins, Lightroom can do anything I need editing wise and the cataloguing side of things is second to none IMO.

Obviously this is Mac specific, but I feel the same way about Aperture, especially since version 3 with selective editing. It does everything I want, at least for the sort of pictures I take. It imports RAW, a comprehensive range of processing and brush tools, has brilliant cataloguing and smart album features; it even has face recognition. My workflow and cataloguing used to be a real pain when using PS Elements trying to maintain multiple folders for PSD's and finished JPG's, and there was the temptation to spend hours tweaking and playing about with layers. Now I just insert the card, import into a new project, do a few tweaks and then the album syncs to my Apple TV for viewing. I now work on the basis that if I needed to do more than that, I will just make an effort to take a better picture next time
My Images
Gripped K3's|DA10-17|DA*16-50|DA*50-135|DA*200|DA*300|Sigma 150-500

thoughton

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 14:25
I do miss Aperture, especially the syncing aspects with my Apple TV and both my wife and I's iPhones for the family pics, but the new version was simply too demanding on my ancient 2006 Macbook Pro. I did some research into it and it seems Aperture 3, unlike version 2, uses the GPU RAM, and if your Mac (like mine) doesn't have much GPU RAM then it just gets really slow. So I reluctantly switched to LR3, which is moderately faster at most tasks.

On my 2010 office Mac I can't tell the difference speedwise between Aperture 3 and LR3.

Aperture is also considerably less expensive than LR3 these days, which is always a bonus!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

Northgrain

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 16:18
Another vote for Lightroom. I got it as a novice and found it both highly intuitive and able to do almost everything I wanted (PP, cataloging, creating slideshows etc). Like others have said, the workflow is extremely logical.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

womble

Link Posted 18/08/2011 - 17:24
I do 95% of my editing etc. in Lightroom. I only drop into Photoshop for some very specific tasks such as cloning. Some things, like removing colour casts from scanned slides is much easier in Lightroom than Photoshop, but cloning out the hairs, dust and other detritus is easier in the latter. If you have Elements I would stick with that for now until you are sure what you want/need.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.