what causes this?

scarr1

Link Posted 07/08/2016 - 22:16
i was experimenting with some long exposures using an nd3.0 filter, and every image has this light steak on the bottom third of the image. Only the long exposures, between 15 and 30 seconds, have this, all normal exposure images are fine. Ive never really tried this before, am i doing doing something wrong? i have attached an image, straight out of camera.

carmagw

Link Posted 07/08/2016 - 22:35
Are you covering the viewfinder when doing these ? If not you risk light entering.

Regards
George

alfpics

Link Posted 07/08/2016 - 22:38
I agree with George - for long exposures with a ND filter, you will need to cover the viewfinder. When I did this without covering the viewfinder, I didn't get the streak effect - but got the washed out look across the frame
Andy

scarr1

Link Posted 07/08/2016 - 22:40
Thanks George, I didnt....is that what it is?

carmagw

Link Posted 07/08/2016 - 23:16
scarr1 wrote:

Most likely yes. Try with the viewfinder cover that comes with the camera (did with k5 and above)

Regards

George

michaelblue

Link Posted 07/08/2016 - 23:56
scarr1 wrote:

Definitely, you need to cover the viewfinder on long exposures in daylight.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

richandfleur

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 07:15
Yep, when doing long exposures during the day, you have to cover the viewfinder, otherwise you get light leaks that look like this.

vic cross

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 07:28
If you don't have the correct cover then just place a piece of black cloth over the back of the camera. It's easier and less fiddley.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

scarr1

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 12:07
thanks for all the replies.....very helpful.
my camera (k3) did come with a viewfinder cover, but i thought it was just to protect it!!
looking at it, it looks like i would have to remove the viewfinder eyepiece rubber to use it, which seems a bit of a clart on. Bit of black cloth (thanks Vic) sounds like a good idea....or may try a bit blu tac.
i will try again next time im up the caravan....

carmagw

Link Posted 08/08/2016 - 13:48
It's the bit of plastic the rubber is attached to that slides up and off. Don't try pulling the rubber or you may tear it. Comes off quite easily , get my thumb nail under it (just above lcd) and pull upwards. The cover then just slides on.

Regards
George

davidwozhere

Link Posted 09/08/2016 - 00:08
The eyecup is a stiff article to remove. I always carry a push-on lens cap that hangs quite happily over the viewfinder and does the job a treat
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.