Welcome messages - a suggestion

Mannesty

Link Posted 21/11/2010 - 23:18
Why do we have to clutter this forum with welcome messages, especially when the user being welcomed hasn't even logged in for some considerable time.

I almost exclusively use the 'New Posts' method of viewing posts and I find it very frustrating when another member has logged in purely to create a whole raft of welcome messages bringing old posts back into the new posts category.

A number of members only seem to login to post welcome messages by the bucket load.

My suggestion is to post welcome messages in the users gallery, thus removing them from otherwise interesting topics.

Another suggestion to those users that log in only to welcome newcomers is:- "Please log in more frequently and welcome fewer new users at one sitting", then we won't get so many old posts as new.

Rant over.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

alig

Link Posted 21/11/2010 - 23:49
Totally agree with you Peter, I mostly use the 'Recent Activity' method, sometimes I pop in to find most of the whole page taken up with 'copy & paste' welcome messages. Why oh why?
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR

alun

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 00:05
Excellent idea, Peter.
Let welcome messages be excluded from the 'recent activity' postings.

ISO

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 10:36
Yes Yes Yes Peter. I never welcome anyone - not because I am a GOM, it's good to see new people joining, but because I don't like the idea of using those sort of posts to build up my 'click count'. One of my original reasons for suggesting that 'Post Numbers' should be dropped was precisely this - and the way I think they can intimidate new members.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 11:11
Can't we just get rid of this silly category?

It's a complete waste of time. Sort of thing you'd find in a nursery school, or on an American forum.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

johnriley

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 11:20
Well the idea is nice I suppose, give newcomers a chance to say hello and who they are. It was actually quite heavily asked for at the time.

There aren't that many new posts per day in there as a rule, but if you don't want to read then just click "mark all as read" at the top of the section and all the green alerts will disappear.
Best regards, John

womble

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 13:23
I remember when someone (Gwyn?) suggested we create the welcome section and we all thought it was a great idea!

As I go through sections by interest and not via the "recent posts" route I don't see these pages of welcome messages so it has never bothered me. And since when has being polite been the preserve of nursery schools and Americans? Although come to think of it, most Americans are very polite.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 15:01
womble wrote:
I remember when someone (Gwyn?) suggested we create the welcome section and we all thought it was a great idea!

K.

Guilty m'lud .

I don't welcome everyone I admit.

When people do a mass greet I just skip those postings, as I do others which don't appeal, when I click recent activity. If I read them all I'd probably never get anything else done.

petrochemist

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 15:12
Like Peter I sometimes get annoyed by a pageful of 'me too' type replies (or a row of smilies) in the recent posts section.
But I don't fins it too difficult scrolling past them, & sometimes these replys catch my eye as they answer a Newbies query in a way that makes them interetsing.

I have to admit I hardly ever look at the welcome section & didn't post there when I first joined. (I think I got round to it a few weeks later) I try to welcome new users when replying to their posts or commenting on their portfolio pictures, but I generally feel I have nothing useful to add if it's just a 'Hi I'm new' message.

I'd second Peter's suggestion that the ideal answer is for members to log on more often (welcoming a few more often) - but I can see why it's not always practical. Perhaps just limiting their replys to the most recent Newbies would assist (but I doubt those who log in rarely will see such a suggestion)

GlynM

Link Posted 22/11/2010 - 16:50
I'm one of the people that thought that having the just-joined section was a good idea. Before we had it welcoming messages were being scattered all over the site which I found a bit of a frustration.

I tend to only dip into certain sections, for example I don't look in the Film section at all. This means of course that for me the recent-message list is not quite so useful and I have to admit that I don't use it. It does mean though that it is very easy for me to choose not to bother with the just-joined section.

I guess it all depends on the host site software but I wonder if it might just be possible to exclude messages in the just-joined section from the recent-message list.

Glyn
Last Edited by GlynM on 22/11/2010 - 16:57

George Lazarette

Link Posted 23/11/2010 - 00:11
womble wrote:
And since when has being polite been the preserve of nursery schools and Americans? Although come to think of it, most Americans are very polite.

K.

You're quite right that Americans are generally very polite. It's sincerity that I sometimes feel is lacking.

I don't feel that a load of people saying "Hi, welcome to the forum" adds anything. Gwyn's idea was to get these vacuous messages out of the main arena, which was a good plan. The problem is that they clog up the Recent Messages page, especially when some people feel inspired to write "Hi, welcome to the forum" twenty times.

So why don't we automatically lock each thread after the initial introductory message, and consign "Hi, welcome to the forum" to the dustbin where it belongs.

G

fatspider

Link Posted 23/11/2010 - 00:24
Perhaps we should keep the Just Joined section but only allow the moderators to post welcome messages to it.

Have a nice day
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

George Lazarette

Link Posted 23/11/2010 - 00:42
fatspider wrote:
Perhaps we should keep the Just Joined section but only allow the moderators to post welcome messages to it.

Have a nice day

Good idea. We can have a robot Mod to automatically add "Hi, welcome to the forum".

G

fatspider

Link Posted 23/11/2010 - 00:50
George Lazarette wrote:
fatspider wrote:

Have a nice day

Good idea. We can have a robot Mod to automatically add "Hi, welcome to the forum".

G

I was thinking more on the lines of making you the "welcome to the forum mod" George
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 23/11/2010 - 00:54
Is it really that hard to ignore these posts and just click onto page 2 of the recent messages? A small price to pay for this sort of well-meant amiability in my view
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.