Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Welcome messages - a suggestion

ISO
Posted 28/11/2010 - 20:28 Link
Mannesty wrote:
Why do we have to clutter this forum with welcome messages, especially when the user being welcomed hasn't even logged in for some considerable time.

I almost exclusively use the 'New Posts' method of viewing posts and I find it very frustrating when another member has logged in purely to create a whole raft of welcome messages bringing old posts back into the new posts category.

A number of members only seem to login to post welcome messages by the bucket load.

My suggestion is to post welcome messages in the users gallery, thus removing them from otherwise interesting topics.

Another suggestion to those users that log in only to welcome newcomers is:- "Please log in more frequently and welcome fewer new users at one sitting", then we won't get so many old posts as new.

Rant over.

Well I think Judith Ann just proved this point
George Lazarette
Posted 28/11/2010 - 21:22 Link
These knee-jerk standard-issue welcomes serve to do the opposite to what is presumably intended.

It makes the newcomer feel like a faceless package undergoing a process, along with countless others.

When the welcome committee can't even be bothered to "personalise" the message in any way, then the dehumanising effect is total.

For goodness sake, people, say something pertinent to the person. Make SOME response to the post they toiled over. "Hi, and welcome to the forum" is just insulting.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Oggy
Posted 28/11/2010 - 22:01 Link
While I agree with you George, it is necessary for the OP to give some information about themselves. If they simply come up with "Hi I am new here" then it's a bit awkward.
Mike-P
Posted 28/11/2010 - 22:08 Link
Mind you, it would be nice if some people actually tried to introduce themselves before heading straight for the sales section.

I would presume they would also have a more favourable response to their sale thread as well.

Cough .. hint .. DUSTER .. cough .. splutter.
Oggy
Posted 28/11/2010 - 22:10 Link
Agreed. It would probably enhance their credibility as a vendor.
Mannesty
Posted 29/11/2010 - 08:42 Link
Thanks JudithAnn for cluttering up the forum.

I suppose it does demonstrate to the rest of us that you've clearly mastered the art of Cut and Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste, Paste.

Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Mike-P
Posted 29/11/2010 - 08:44 Link
Did you type all that or use cut and paste?

I hear the evenings are starting to get a bit cold there now?
Edited by Mike-P: 29/11/2010 - 08:45
Mannesty
Posted 29/11/2010 - 08:46 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Did you type all that or use cut and paste?

Evenings are getting very cold here, down to about 4 or 5 degrees last night. My house is at about 360 metres above sea level so a bit colder than the coast.
Edited by Mannesty: 29/11/2010 - 08:56
Mannesty
Posted 29/11/2010 - 08:48 Link
All posts were made by cut & paste; and without cut & paste was not anything pasted that was cut. Pedro 1:1 (Life)
I ponder this as I browse this forum I spend so much time in.
Edited by Mannesty: 29/11/2010 - 08:49
johnriley
Posted 29/11/2010 - 09:43 Link
So if the complaint is wasted space, are you guys not equally guilty now, if it be guilt at all? :
Best regards, John
Mannesty
Posted 29/11/2010 - 09:53 Link
John, my complaint is not about wasted space, it's about occasionally having to wade through endless 'Hi and Welcome' messages, one after the other, page after page.

Rather than see the posts in this thread as wasted space, see them as a measure of the feelings of some of us that spend a lot of time here.

I logged in this morning to see two pages of cut and pasted welcome messages from JudithAnn. It's ridiculous. 21 posts to welcome new members at one sitting, yet not much else from her.

In the past I have designed databases for a living so I do know how easy it would be to at least put all these posts at the end of the list instead of at the top.

My personal preference is to get rid of them all together.
davidtrout
Posted 29/11/2010 - 09:55 Link
I joined about two and a half years ago. I'm still waiting for my 'welcome to the forum.'
David:
Edited by davidtrout: 29/11/2010 - 09:55
bforbes
Posted 29/11/2010 - 09:56 Link
Hello and Welcome David.
TonyM
Posted 29/11/2010 - 09:59 Link
[Beat me to it. Let's see if we can fill up a page with welcome messages to David! (You can tell it's Monday - anything to avoid work...)]

Hi and Welcome to the Forum David!!
fatspider
Posted 29/11/2010 - 09:59 Link
davidtrout wrote:
I joined about two and a half years ago. I'm still waiting for my 'welcome to the forum.'
David:

Welcome to the forum David.

EDIT: Dang! beaten to it by two people
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 29/11/2010 - 10:00

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.