Wedding photographers

Mongoose

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 12:37
Hi all,

My recent big news is that I proposed to my Girlfriend just before Christmas, and she said Yes!!!!

Hence wedding planning is now in full swing in the Mongoose household.

I know a few people on here are professional wedding photographers, so 2 questions

1. Are any of you (the pro wedding types that is) in the south Oxfordshire region and therefore someone I might want to talk to?

2. Any hints and tips for things to look out for in a good wedding photographer? particularly anything you think the layman may not think of.

thanks all
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Clarky

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 12:47
Congrats mate, it will be a busy and sometimes frustrating time for you in the coming months, but well worth it in the end. I wish you and your fiance all the best

I hope you don't have to sell off any of your camera gear to pay for the wedding, they are horrendously expensive.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

johnriley

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 13:09
I don't cover Wiltshire but I thought you might like to have a look at the white (in more ways than one) wedding we did last Saturday.

These days we don't ourselves offer albums, but photo books instead.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1137480
Best regards, John

pink

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 13:33
John Nice book Bet you was cold

James

Must get round to linking my wedding book

Aero

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 14:17
Congratulations, Mongoose, and good job, John -- I'm sure your clients were delighted. It's strange seeing a wedding devoid of kilts. We're awash with them north of the border. Sadly, most are rented and don't fit properly, which gives us all a cheap laugh down the pub when they're hosting a wedding reception.

Al

Mongoose

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 14:31
thanks everyone, and particularly John. Even though you wouldn't be able to do my wedding, it's interesting to see as wide a variety of styles as I can find just to help get a feel for what I actually want.

Talk about a "nice day for a white wedding"!
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

ripstar74

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 14:35
Mongoose wrote:
thanks everyone, and particularly John. Even though you wouldn't be able to do my wedding, it's interesting to see as wide a variety of styles as I can find just to help get a feel for what I actually want.

Talk about a "nice day for a white wedding"!

Its also a little far for me, but if you want to look at another site for ideas......
K7,K10d,16-50 Da*,50-135 Da*. Looking for a good macro.

My Website

Don

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 14:36
here's an excerpt from our website:

Quote:
WHAT QUESTIONS TO ASK? POINTS TO CONSIDER?
By Gerri Anderson

What does the price include?
Ask for a breakdown of important details, such as start and finish times, number of locations, how many images, and how they will be delivered. Get it in writing. Run, don’t walk, from anybody that doesn’t offer a written contract.

What about seeing the work?
Every photographer will show you portfolio shots but you also want to see a sample of a whole album, to be sure what the photographer typically delivers. That’ll give you more insight into the quality than just the portfolio.

Delivery Dates?
Get them in writing. You don’t want to find out after the fact that while the pictures are wonderful, you have to wait six months to get them.

Better to go with a large company?
A company with a stable of photographers, may not give you the guy who shot the images that impressed you the most. You don’t know for sure if there’ll be a switch. You are hiring someone create something original for you, and should be guaranteed the companies best photographer.

Trust your instincts.
You don’t want to be on the receiving end of a “Temper-mental Artist” s’ bad attitude.

Digital or Film?
Quality wise there is no difference. There is however a huge difference in the delivery, as digital offers way more options for touch-ups, Web, DVD, and other uses.

Negatives/Originals?
If they don’t care what happens after getting the sale, then you’ll never know if it was a lousy photographer or a lousy photofinisher to blame. You may be stuck.

Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

konrads

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 21:00
Mongoose!! Big step my man but worth every second for the rest of your life!! Congrats!! Would've loved to help but South Africa is a tad too far for you I suppose
K20D,24-90 3.5-5.6,50-135 2.8 + GRIP. SAVING FOR 60-250 F4
FUJI S6500 + FUJI Z33WP
Konrad

pink

Link Posted 18/01/2010 - 21:09
Well done my friend when is the happy day.

James

gartmore

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 09:19
Aero wrote:
Congratulations, Mongoose, and good job, John -- I'm sure your clients were delighted. It's strange seeing a wedding devoid of kilts. We're awash with them north of the border. Sadly, most are rented and don't fit properly, which gives us all a cheap laugh down the pub when they're hosting a wedding reception.

Al

Spotted outside Glasgow Registry Office: a young groom with his kilt on back to front - I kid you not!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

gartmore

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 09:20
Word of mouth is probably the best recommendation
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.