Wedding Photographer

Russ

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 21:34
My best friend from childhood has asked me to be their official photographer for the day. I'm honoured but i have no experience of such things. Said yes but totally petrified now. Massive responsibility, no room for error.....
Has anyone else done this before? Did you have any tips? Or advice.

I'm obviously going to need at least a second camera body, can't risk it with just the K30. What sort of lenses will need? I have the 50mm 1.7, which is a nice portrait lens. And the DA 16-45 gives really crisp images, plus is reasonably wide. But not fast, in aperture or AF. Will i need to invest in a decent F2.8 zoom?

Any advice would be massively welcome and hugely appreciated.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 21:41
I hope you're getting paid for doing this, because otherwise you've been asked to work incredibly hard, under pressure, for a whole day plus the days you'll spend processing the images. Either that or it's the most expensive wedding present ever devised if it's a gift!

I can shoot a wedding using very little in the way of equipment, but basically 18-135mm plus 43mm f/1.9 or any similar set up is more than enough. Add a flashgun.

There have been a few threads on this, but I'd also suggest a good book on wedding photography, plus lots of practice using your camera for portraits. On the day crowd management will become vital, so you need an assistant plus someone from the wedding party who knows who everyone is.
Best regards, John

Russ

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:12
Many thanks John. He has offered to pay, we haven't discussed price yet. I will ask a friend from my local photo club to help, hopefully he'll agree.

Will also pickup a second body, perhaps a K20D or something. Can always sell it on afterwards.

What is a reasonable flash?

Regards
Russ

Karl

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:13
It is never wise to mix business with pleasure.
I hope you don't fall out.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:22
Pentax AF-360 FGZ does me just fine.
Best regards, John

Russ

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:46
Karl wrote:
It is never wise to mix business with pleasure.
I hope you don't fall out.

That had crossed my mind. Been having second thoughts for that very reason. Even asked around at the photography club for recommended wedding photographers.

Russ

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 22:47
johnriley wrote:
Pentax AF-360 FGZ does me just fine.

Okay John, if i fail to get myself out of this mess, i'll keep my eyes peeled.

Blythman

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 23:05
johnriley wrote:
I hope you're getting paid for doing this.............

Completely disagree with John.

Go ahead and do it for free, if you want the experience, and if the bride and groom are in full knowledge that they may or may not get decent wedding photos.

If you get paid, then expect to provide a professional service, and all that goes with that.Gareth has touched upon some of these.

Good luck whatever you decide
Alan

PPG
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 23:20
It's the syndrome of "you've got a good camera, you could take my wedding photos, it would be a great experience for you" Alan that overlooks the day's work when everyone else is relaxing, the stress, the days spent processing. Not only that but it denies a photographer paid work when it's done on the cheap.

Now sometimes there may be reasons for doing it anyway, which is fair enough, but the value of the photographer's work is very often seen as being zero. Still, that's up to the individual.
Best regards, John

Russ

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 23:33
Thanks all. I will indeed recommend they give this to a paid professional who needs the work. I will let them know i will be happy to be there taking candid snaps all day long. But they need to put their faith in a professional.

Now to word as a nicely as possible and dig myself out of the hole.

Russ

Link Posted 03/09/2013 - 23:45
I have now resigned as official photographer ....phew!

Mongoose

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 10:35
a good decision, personally I have stepped in twice, both times on the understanding that I am absolutely not a professional and people aren't even my thing, and as such I'll bring all my kit and do my very best, but only if the alternative is that they can't afford to have a 'tog at all.

I wont stand by and watch a friend have no "proper" wedding shots when I could do something, but I'd much rather be the guy with an above average camera taking candids.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Russ

Link Posted 04/09/2013 - 10:47
Mongoose wrote:
a good decision, personally I have stepped in twice, both times on the understanding that I am absolutely not a professional and people aren't even my thing, and as such I'll bring all my kit and do my very best, but only if the alternative is that they can't afford to have a 'tog at all.

I wont stand by and watch a friend have no "proper" wedding shots when I could do something, but I'd much rather be the guy with an above average camera taking candids.

That's exactly as i have left it with my friend now. I'm happy to be the guy who spends the day grabbing candid shots that are better than the usual camera phone efforts. But they really need a pro doing the main photographs.

puma

Link Posted 08/09/2013 - 10:46
all I can say is we all had to start some where but you must feel confident to do a wedding and remember there is no second chance first time only.
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

McGregNi

Link Posted 08/09/2013 - 12:41
I can't think of how many times I've been a bit annoyed by non-photographers passing comment - you know the sort - they glance at some shots on the laptop and say 'they look great - you must have a really good camera!'.

Yes I do ! But it never occurs to them for a second that there is anything more to it than just the special camera. This indicates the same kind of ignorance of what is involved. Frankly there shouldn't be the expectation on those of us with good cameras that we can necessarily fill in for pros in a pro capacity.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.