Wedding Photographer

Aitch53
Posted 08/09/2013 - 13:03 Link
McGregNi wrote:
I can't think of how many times I've been a bit annoyed by non-photographers passing comment - you know the sort - they glance at some shots on the laptop and say 'they look great - you must have a really good camera!'.

Yes I do ! But it never occurs to them for a second that there is anything more to it than just the special camera. This indicates the same kind of ignorance of what is involved. Frankly there shouldn't be the expectation on those of us with good cameras that we can necessarily fill in for pros in a pro capacity.
Maybe there's a germ of something good in this. In that they are beginning to realise that the results from their phone are low quality and they may need to buy a proper camera to get qood (IQ wise) pictures.

Got to be good for the industry and the hobby.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
McGregNi
Posted 08/09/2013 - 13:23 Link
No, I'm afraid not. Most people are only interested in instant results - the moment you mention anything slightly technical or explain any factor that might have gone into creating the shot, they just turn off.

What they want is a new camera-phone that will automatically create the great shots and provide the technical know-how and processing skills with the push of one button.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Aitch53
Posted 08/09/2013 - 14:15 Link
McGregNi wrote:
No, I'm afraid not. Most people are only interested in instant results - the moment you mention anything slightly technical or explain any factor that might have gone into creating the shot, they just turn off.

What they want is a new camera-phone that will automatically create the great shots and provide the technical know-how and processing skills with the push of one button.
Yeah, you're probably right.

But if just one or two people listen to what you say and explore further, it makes it worth explaining. Even if most people glaze over.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Smeggypants
Posted 08/09/2013 - 16:36 Link
Russ wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
a good decision, personally I have stepped in twice, both times on the understanding that I am absolutely not a professional and people aren't even my thing, and as such I'll bring all my kit and do my very best, but only if the alternative is that they can't afford to have a 'tog at all.

I wont stand by and watch a friend have no "proper" wedding shots when I could do something, but I'd much rather be the guy with an above average camera taking candids.
That's exactly as i have left it with my friend now. I'm happy to be the guy who spends the day grabbing candid shots that are better than the usual camera phone efforts. But they really need a pro doing the main photographs.
Good move. You can get drunk, take some adventurous and relaxed candids and have a general good time
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Smeggypants
Posted 08/09/2013 - 16:46 Link
Aitch53 wrote:
McGregNi wrote:
I can't think of how many times I've been a bit annoyed by non-photographers passing comment - you know the sort - they glance at some shots on the laptop and say 'they look great - you must have a really good camera!'.

Yes I do ! But it never occurs to them for a second that there is anything more to it than just the special camera. This indicates the same kind of ignorance of what is involved. Frankly there shouldn't be the expectation on those of us with good cameras that we can necessarily fill in for pros in a pro capacity.
Maybe there's a germ of something good in this. In that they are beginning to realise that the results from their phone are low quality and they may need to buy a proper camera to get qood (IQ wise) pictures.

Got to be good for the industry and the hobby.
Not the case anymore.

I've just been editing a bunch of pics I took a couple of weeks ago, some on my K-5's and some on my Nokia 808 phone. Daylight conditions and just general snaps, but there's very little difference in the IQ for general viewing a computer monitor - say 1600x1200px

Obviously a "proper camera" can do so much more and has much better dynamic range and IS performance, but the days of crappy mobile phone pics has gone now.

Have a look at panoramio and check the EXIFs of the shots. I was suprised that so many decent one's were taken on phones
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
McGregNi
Posted 08/09/2013 - 18:39 Link
Smeggy, your points about the IQ differences are very valid, however yet again we are missing the point about what it is that can go into making a great photo equipment-wise.

For example, the classic 'pro-look' that non-photographers often identify as special is the typical portrait headshot with a tiny depth of field behind - this has ben achieved often with a good 'portrait' focal length, fast and high quality lens with all the focussing and metering bells and whistles provided by the sophisticated DSLR attached to it (not the forget the photographers skill in knowing how to use all this stuff).

Or what about the amzaing landscape with the low viewpoint, total massive DOF, great reflection control and colour rendition provided by the top quality lens stopped down to f16 with a polariser on the front, shutter tripped with mirror lock-up to prevent the slightest movement.

Its exactly the same - a mixture of photographer skill and pre-knowledge, plus equipment and technical aspects that you could not apply with a camera-phone, no matter how big its sensor or how many megapixels it has.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 08/09/2013 - 18:43
Smeggypants
Posted 08/09/2013 - 22:58 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Smeggy, your points about the IQ differences are very valid, however yet again we are missing the point about what it is that can go into making a great photo equipment-wise.
I wasn't missing the point at all. I'm fully aware of teh benefits of a proper camera over a phone cam. I'd sell my K-5s if I wasn't

My point was simply that the days of crappy phone cam IQ ( in daylight conditions ) are over. Why do you think compact sales are plummeting?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
judderman62
Posted 08/09/2013 - 23:09 Link
I was aske donce by someone I worked with - refused in a heartbeat

good decision OP
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo