Wasp Nest

royd63uk
Posted 03/05/2010 - 10:30 Link
superb shot,excellent work.

roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
Mannesty
Posted 03/05/2010 - 11:20 Link
i-Berg wrote:
If these were European wasps . . .
This is the nest of a single Paper Wasp (Polistes gallicus). I'm not certain how the nest would develop but I'm guessing that as the larvae hatch and become winged adults, they assist in the nests development.

Most of the nests of this type that I have seen are not much larger than this but I have seen them up to about the size of a small plate with many adults visiting with nest material (wood pulp) and food.

I have a healthy respect for these creatures and I don't mess with them when the adult wasps are about. Safe enough when there is only one adult, just work out the shot, wait for the adult to depart, then in true SAS style, get in, get the job done, and get out.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Mannesty
Posted 03/05/2010 - 12:01 Link
This is an image of the adult wasp during the nest's construction. This wasp can be recognised by the absence of hair on its abdomen.

Comment Image


Gear used: K20D, Sigma 180mm Macro EX DG, hand held.
Software Used: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.7
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 03/05/2010 - 12:14
royd63uk
Posted 03/05/2010 - 12:22 Link
wow nice ..at least the 180 macro gives you some distance from the wasp

roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery
i-Berg
Posted 03/05/2010 - 12:38 Link
Lovely detailed shot.

It's got it's eye on you though - how close was this?

We have native paper wasps here Peter, they attach their nests in much the same way as can be seen behind this wasp's abdomen.
Mannesty
Posted 03/05/2010 - 13:38 Link
I was about 30cm away I guess and yes, it was watching me but it seemed comfortable at the distance I was at.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo