W80 - Movie recording stops unexpectedly

vbmaster
Posted 06/02/2010 - 10:39 Link
Hello,

I have recently bought an Optio W80 with a 8GB SanDisk SD Card.
The camera is great, except of one problem:
When I try to capture movies, the camera records find for about 15-25 seconds and then suddenly stops, without any warning and without any button pressed. ("Data being recorded" is shown on screen).

Few facts:
1. The SD card is empty - I've just formatted it now...
2. The time it takes to stop recording changes and it is not constant.
3. The size of the movie left on the SD card is about 90MB.

Anyone has a clue about that problem?
Many thanks!
Nadav.
iceblinker
Posted 06/02/2010 - 10:51 Link
I don't have experience of the W80, but the same thing happens in a K-7 when using an SD card that is not fast enough (or not right in some other mysterious way).

Even some "class 6" and "class 10" cards don't work for video. I recommend Sandisk Extreme III. If you're in the UK, you can order from www.playcom. White Toshiba cards are good as well.

Sensor over-heating can also cause video termination, though I wouldn't expect this to happen with a compact camera.
~Pete
Edited by iceblinker: 06/02/2010 - 10:52
vbmaster
Posted 06/02/2010 - 11:56 Link
Hi Pete,
I've changed the recording quality to 640 (Instead of HD) and now it seems to work beautifully!
You were probably right - my SD card is not fast enough... I just wish the camera would let me know the reason (Something like "buffer full" or something like that), not letting me be so frustrated.

Many thanks for the help!
Nadav.
gartmore
Posted 08/02/2010 - 08:54 Link
I've found that Class II Sandisk cards work perfectly in an optio and in my Canon video camera.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
RichardDay
Posted 08/02/2010 - 11:07 Link
gartmore wrote:
I've found that Class II Sandisk cards work perfectly in an optio and in my Canon video camera.
It would seem that the issue is HD, which needs a faster card.
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo