Vivitar Thyristor 2500 - dead!

Lloydy

Link Posted 12/02/2010 - 18:18
My Vivitar 2500 has died, the light doesn't come on and there's no life at all. This is a decent flash, and I'd hate to lose it so is it worth repairing?

And more importantly, has anyone got any ideas of common fixes for these or someone who's good ( and cheap ? ) at fixing flash units?

I live in hope...............

digikid-tv

Link Posted 13/02/2010 - 10:03
The only problem that I have ever encountered with Vivitar flashguns is that of tarnished or corroded battery contacts. They do not need to be obviously corroded to cause problems. Try cleaning them with some wadding type metal polish, the stuff that used to be called "Duraglit" (now "Brasso Duraglit") is OK for this. Do not forget the contacts in the sliding door, you may have to open the casing to access these.
John

Aero

Link Posted 13/02/2010 - 14:39
My old Vivitar 283 had a similar problem and a good cleaning of the battery contacts solved it. The main issue was the contacts in the removable battery container, but I don't know whether the 2500 uses a similar design.

Al

Don

Link Posted 13/02/2010 - 15:00
what they said...
I use a pencil eraser with a little brasso metal polish, then a swab with alcohol to clean.
also check for bent tabs where they are SUPOOSED to contact the batteries, failing that you may dissasemble and check for broken wires from the battery contacts. Do NOT touch the capacitor!
if it's fried easier to replace than repair.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Lloydy

Link Posted 13/02/2010 - 18:41
Fixed it, it was the battery contacts - on the sliding door that you have to dismantle the unit to get at the contacts.

I used a RS Components 'propelling pencil' with abrasive fibreglass strands for contact cleaning.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0...

It's basically the tool for the job, it's not too abrasive and is handy for getting into tight places.
Maplins sell a similar one for 5-99

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3932

I've had mine for years and not worn it out.

Oggy

Link Posted 13/02/2010 - 20:43
One tip after using those pens - hoover everything thoroughly then hoover again.

Lloydy

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 00:02
Oh yes, the strands can and do come loose. But with a bit of canned air they disappear.

Oggy

Link Posted 14/02/2010 - 00:05
That's actually the last thing I'd do. They do indeed disappear into the equipment, into the air and worst of all into your lungs. Vacuum please.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.