Using flash on K100D super


mushmagic

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 14:00
Hi all

Is there anyway to reduce the flash on this model? even using 'fill-in' burns everything out.

many thanks,
mushmagic.

terje-l

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 14:08
On the K100D there is an item under the Record Mode menu called Flash exposure compensation, where the flash can be adjusted from -2 to +1 EV. I assume the K100D Super has the same settings.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

serendipity

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 14:35
Try a home made diffuser, plastic from a milk bottle or something, or even kitchen tissue works to a degree Or try something that's not as translucent and bounce the light.


Mick

K10D,K100D Super.

mushmagic

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 15:08
thank you terry, there is compensation values, did not think that would lessen intesity of falsh though! I'll change that.

regards,
mushmagic

mushmagic

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 15:10
hi serendipity, may seem a silly question but how can you bounce the flash without moving the camera? should I have mentioned its the on board flash?!

many thanks,
mushmagic

beakynet

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 15:15
Sounds like you are flashing at full power, try adjusting the apature which will control flash output with respect to distance to subject.

It works something like this (I think) - if your flash is rated 11m at F5.6 and ISO100, then if the subject distance is 5m you should use F8 at 100ISO. Anyway, hope you get what I mean. I have assumed you are using the pop-up flash here.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

serendipity

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 16:01
mushmagic wrote:
hi serendipity, may seem a silly question but how can you bounce the flash without moving the camera? should I have mentioned its the on board flash?!

many thanks,
mushmagic

You will have to fix, (temporary) or hold the piece of plastic (if this is what you use) at a angle in front of the built in flash. Then click away
You will have to experiment with different opacities and different angles, until you get your desired effect. Try it with a sheet of A4 paper ( two,three,or four thickness, depending on desired opacity and amount of bounce required)) then fold them in half or thirds for varying results Hope this makes sense


Mick

K10D,K100D Super.

mushmagic

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 16:35
beakynet wrote:
Sounds like you are flashing at full power, try adjusting the apature which will control flash output with respect to distance to subject.

It works something like this (I think) - if your flash is rated 11m at F5.6 and ISO100, then if the subject distance is 5m you should use F8 at 100ISO. Anyway, hope you get what I mean. I have assumed you are using the pop-up flash here.

ah, got it, just close down my aperture.

thanks, mushmagic

mushmagic

Link Posted 18/11/2008 - 16:37
serendipity wrote:
mushmagic wrote:
hi serendipity, may seem a silly question but how can you bounce the flash without moving the camera? should I have mentioned its the on board flash?!

many thanks,
mushmagic

You will have to fix, (temporary) or hold the piece of plastic (if this is what you use) at a angle in front of the built in flash. Then click away
You will have to experiment with different opacities and different angles, until you get your desired effect. Try it with a sheet of A4 paper ( two,three,or four thickness, depending on desired opacity and amount of bounce required)) then fold them in half or thirds for varying results Hope this makes sense


Mick

yip, does make sense now!

think i'd only use that method though for static shots.

many thanks, mushmagic
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.