Upgrade from k10d - new lens or new camera?

WKG

Link Posted 01/01/2014 - 20:50
Hi,

I've had my k10d now for few years and lost interest as I didn't have a good zoom lens to capture any decent wildlife shots.

I am now thinking of purchasing a new or 2nd hand zoom/prime lens probably stretching for the 300/4 but have also noticed that I could get a good second hand k5iis and possibly a 55-300 lens for similar money.

I have always been told that you should spend your money on a decent lens but feel the k5iis sounds like a good upgrade?

My main photography interest is wildlife and sports so any recommendations you guys can give would be appreciated.
Thanks.

stub

Link Posted 01/01/2014 - 21:07
There is no need to go down the K5iis route, at present. In my opinion the 55-300 lens is too short and too slow for serious wildlife photography. If approx. 1000 is your budget I would direct you towards a sigma 150 - 500 or 120 - 400 and K30 or K50. I feel you would get better satisfaction from this set up.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

johnriley

Link Posted 01/01/2014 - 23:03
The AF performance of the K-5 IIs is so superior to the K10D that you would be amazed. It's definitely worth it and in the context of sports photography will be a huge benefit.

We don't know your location, but if you are able to get to a stockist it would be a very good idea to go and inspect the cameras.
Best regards, John

rscoote

Link Posted 02/01/2014 - 09:47
WKG wrote:
Hi,

I've had my k10d now for few years and lost interest as I didn't have a good zoom lens to capture any decent wildlife shots.

I am now thinking of purchasing a new or 2nd hand zoom/prime lens probably stretching for the 300/4 but have also noticed that I could get a good second hand k5iis and possibly a 55-300 lens for similar money.

I have always been told that you should spend your money on a decent lens but feel the k5iis sounds like a good upgrade?

My main photography interest is wildlife and sports so any recommendations you guys can give would be appreciated.
Thanks.

What kind of sports? I have a 300mm f4 and a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and use the latter mostly for football because of the zoom flexibily, faster aperture and faster focusing but I doubt the Sigma is long enough for a lot of wildlife shots. Motorsports, cricket, indoor sports etc. may bring different ideal lens recommendations.

Roy
My PPG link
K-3, K-5 + D-BG4 Grip, Pentax: FA 50 1.4, DA* 300, Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro HSM II, Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX DC, Metz 58 AF-1

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 02/01/2014 - 10:01
What lenses do you have WKG? Possible that with an upgrade to one of the 16MP bodies you'll get more satisfactory results from your current set up.

For wildlife I suggest a brighter lens, a 2.8 or 4, such as the DA*300, I was using my K-5 with my 150-500 and still struggled to get decent shutter speeds at ISO800 when trying to catch blue, coal and grey tits in my parents back garden....
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

WKG

Link Posted 02/01/2014 - 17:00
Hi thanks to you all for your responses.

My current lens set up is basic to say the least.

I have the kit lense 18-55 and an old sigma 70-210 f4-5.6

Part of me wants to spend my money on a decent lens but then I look how far Pentax have come in the last 5 years and wonder if I should start again with a new camera.

I like to take wildlife shots more than anything, birds in the garden and around the coast in north devon where we live but also would like to take pictures of surfers etc. I'm not really into landscapes but do like macro photography also.

I thought the 300/4 was a good option but not sure if my camera was really up to it.
Thanks, Wayne.

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/01/2014 - 17:37
Much of the discussion here concerning wildlife & sports photography is mostly about autofocus performance, both that of cameras and lenses. AF is one of the key aspects of performance that the latest two flagship Pentax DSLRs have advanced on significantly.

It is fair to say that the camera upgrade (K511 would be the one to go for) will offer a lot, with any AF lens. Coupled with a new lens with wide aperture and strongly performing focussing motor you'll have a winning combination. If you're looking to rejuvenate the interest you probably should bit the bullet and get both items. I'm not the one to advise on a suitable lens for what you want, but there's plenty of good advise to follow from others I'm sure.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 02/01/2014 - 17:38

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 02/01/2014 - 18:36
AF performance is key, but when you are trying to get photos of flighty birds that don't sit still for long you need fast shutter speeds, so when you do go for longer lengths, such as 300, a faster aperture such as f4 will make a lot of difference, otherwise you get a lot of shots of blurred coloured things.

A good option to consider is the Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 and an EX1.4 converter...I used that option before I was seduced by the DA*60-250
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

WKG

Link Posted 10/01/2014 - 19:45
Thanks for all the responses. I decided to go for the sigma 150-500. It arrived today and can't wait to put it through its paces tomorrow. Still thinking I should also go for a k5iis if my budget allows so if anyone knows of a second hand one going for a reasonable price let me know as I might be tempted.
Thanks again.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.